Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th August 2017, 3:09 PM   #1126
Copie

If the ntd is installed and active, some RSPs can activate a service on a Uni d port within minutes.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th August 2017, 3:18 PM   #1127
cmi83

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasaiyan View Post
if anyones in Coburg (Victoria) and would be interested in partaking in a FTTC customer trial with Telstra, send me a PM
If you ever need anybody in southside bris on FTTN (apparently next month) let me know
cmi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 4:04 PM   #1128
shadowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie View Post
If the ntd is installed and active, some RSPs can activate a service on a Uni d port within minutes.
Nope, No NTD. Just the draw wire for the fibre from the outside to inside at the moment.

Builder wouldn't allow us to do a pre-install until handover unfortunately.
Old 18th August 2017, 4:10 PM   #1129
Copie

Then a few weeks, depends on when the next available install date is.

Easy and straightforward.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 4:48 PM   #1130
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
Offtopic question out of interest - is it possible to explain in laymens terms what's going on with the VDSL protocol in the linear 6-20dBA region of the graph compared to the 20+dBA?

i.e. is this where vectoring is more effective at boosting sync/throughput before dropping back to a less aggressive profile?
it's just a characteristic of the particular cable type used for that plot - this one uses an insulation and construction method that becomes considerably more sensitive to external noise past an insertion loss point corresponding to the 20dB point. others would not show such a pronounced shoulder and the curve would look more regular. or they might be steeper or shallower. it's a good example of why trying to guess performance from distance is a bit of a fool's errand, even assuming you can gauge the distance with reasonable accuracy (which is far more critical than with ADSL).

from memory that test was not run in an environment where the cable pair was subject to same-chassis crosstalk, so vectoring was not a factor. I have seen some examples that look like that in competitively serviced environments (i.e. FTTB with someone else's DSLAM in the building too), vectoring does what it can but there comes a point where the insertion loss of the line drops the signal to the point where external (and this uncontrollable) crosstalk results in performance dropping more rapidly. I don't fully understand why, but it may be the modems increasing SNR by lowering bitrate in order to protect the integrity of the vectoring communications. if that is disrupted, it triggers an immediate resync, so you try to protect that as much as possible.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 5:15 PM   #1131
fredhoon

Cheers for the explanation, much appreciated as always.
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 5:44 PM   #1132
disguisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Nope, No NTD. Just the draw wire for the fibre from the outside to inside at the moment.

Builder wouldn't allow us to do a pre-install until handover unfortunately.
Took about two weeks after phoning to get an appointment.

Install took about an hour. Ans was up and running 30 minutes after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trop View Post
Guessing your about 17 with an old pulsar with a huge wing and a fart cannon? Sounds like the right mentality anyway.
disguisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 8:10 PM   #1133
CQGLHyperion

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
what's wrong with the video? they are manually unspooling a couple of dozen metres of what looks like 12F to go from the local feeder joint into the cabinet. the stiffener members inside that cable are incredibly rigid, there's absolutely zero damage being done, and the twists will pop out of the cable the instant the end is cut free. the bend radius is never within about 100x what is acceptable.
It is the wrong way of doing it at any time, regardless of the consequences. But not to blame the NBN, this is just an example of people taking shortcuts because they are ill equipped to do the job properly.
Old 18th August 2017, 9:26 PM   #1134
atech

FTTH finally turned completed and switched on today. Coming from a 12/1 fixed wireless it's like night and day. Ballarat tyvm.
atech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 9:39 PM   #1135
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQGLHyperion View Post
It is the wrong way of doing it at any time, regardless of the consequences. But not to blame the NBN, this is just an example of people taking shortcuts because they are ill equipped to do the job properly.
just as a matter of interest, what's the "right" way? full cable drum trailer for a few metres of 12F? bearing in mind this stuff is spec'd (with the UV resistant jacket) to be self-supporting for a 200m aerial span. the 72F has held up poles when they were torn out of the ground in a cyclone. it's not fragile in the slightest in the form they are working with it.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 2:53 PM   #1136
Doc-of-FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
just as a matter of interest, what's the "right" way?

either way, armored fibre is rigid, springy and can bend back on itself (bow tie) without damaging the cores.
Doc-of-FC is offline   Reply With Quote