Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st April 2017, 6:58 PM   #5911
OJR

The 990s benefit from a little burn in. Tames the highs.
OJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st April 2017, 7:11 PM   #5912
Matthew kane

There's a bit of sibilance with the treble region nearing the high end frequency on the 770, 880 and 990 models regardless of the impedance models, it's just the way the drivers are tuned and installed in the housing.

Unfortunately you can't fix this without some modification/pad changes, EQ or heavy amplification (which will change the entire sound altogether in most cases).
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 7:21 PM   #5913
phreeky82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
There's a bit of sibilance with the treble region nearing the high end frequency on the 770, 880 and 990 models regardless of the impedance models, it's just the way the drivers are tuned and installed in the housing.

Unfortunately you can't fix this without some modification/pad changes, EQ or heavy amplification (which will change the entire sound altogether in most cases).
Yeah I figured some treble reduction is probably one of the easier changes with some different foam or something under the pads. It's probably a fine balance with some trial and error and to not go too far.
Old 28th April 2017, 3:40 PM   #5914
eixt

I am looking to replace my AD700's (I think the cable is stuffed, only one side works :sob: )

I make a lot of conference calls and have a shitty pair of wireless logitech headphones at the moment that are super uncomfortable after any period of time.

Ideally I would like something to replace the AD700s with something that has a mic but is also wireless with the option of wired. Semi portable would be a bonus too.

I may have to go for two pairs, a decent desktop, wired pair with a mic and a semi decent traveling pair.

Budget is probably up to $350.

I have a large head but not huge, but i have really big ears, so the AD700s were nice and comfy

Any ideas? The ATH-PDG1's look alright but not wireless or as good sound quality as the AD700s.
eixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 4:35 PM   #5915
Bold Eagle

Replace the cable?

Here is an example for the ATH-AD500:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Audio_Technica_ATH-AD500
Old 28th April 2017, 4:37 PM   #5916
jpw007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixt View Post
I am looking to replace my AD700's (I think the cable is stuffed, only one side works :sob: )

I make a lot of conference calls and have a shitty pair of wireless logitech headphones at the moment that are super uncomfortable after any period of time.

Ideally I would like something to replace the AD700s with something that has a mic but is also wireless with the option of wired. Semi portable would be a bonus too.

I may have to go for two pairs, a decent desktop, wired pair with a mic and a semi decent traveling pair.

Budget is probably up to $350.

I have a large head but not huge, but i have really big ears, so the AD700s were nice and comfy

Any ideas? The ATH-PDG1's look alright but not wireless or as good sound quality as the AD700s.
ADG1X - Basically AD900s with a mic

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

jpw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 12:55 PM   #5917
eixt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Replace the cable?

Here is an example for the ATH-AD500:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Audio_Technica_ATH-AD500
Hmm thats pretty straight forward. cheers might give it a go

What would people recommend for decent portable wireless headphones with a mic?
eixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 10:15 AM   #5918
lawrencep93

Time to re new my wired in ear headphones with mic from Klipsch which I bought in early 2011, they have served me well, the headphone part works great still and will use them with my laptop however the mic is stuffing up when plugged into my phone other people sometimes don't hear me due to a connection in the jack not being great. 6 years lasted I paid around $200 for them so worth while investment.

Now what else shall I buy as a replacement but good quality.

I would like something with great bass sounds as I listen to music which is more deep and bass sounding.

Budget $200

WIRED ONLY! I hate wireless and bluetooth as I am using my headphones also to keep my phone away from my head when I make calls, don't want too many nasty nnEMFs going through my brain.

I have an Android Phone, Galaxy s7

Edit I have short listed this from PC Case Gear, free shipping too

Audio-Technica ATH-CKS990is In Ear Headset

Second option: Headphones.com
Fidue A73 Earphones
i7 4930k @ 4.6GHz, NZXT Kraken X60 watercooler with Push pull fans (4 x 140mm), 32GB Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133MHz, Asus X79-Deluxe, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB OC Edition, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Corsair RM-1000w PSU, Nanoxia Deep Silence 6, LG Blueray Burner, 16 x 2TB Green drives, 6 x 4TB RED NAS Drives (4 x 4TB RAID 5(Highpoint SuperRAID Card)). WINDOWS 7 Pro. Gigabyte Laptop P25XV2-880-4702S

Last edited by lawrencep93; 5th May 2017 at 12:23 PM.
lawrencep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 12:56 PM   #5919
Sharpe

I've been considering the QC35 headphones for a while because they're bluetooth and freaking comfortable. I find many on-ear headphones to have far too much 'clamping' force and can't use them for extended periods of time.

However, I dont like that 1. they can't be charged and require batteries, 2. when you turn off noise cancelling they sound terrible. 3. For what they are the're quite expensive, but that's really the least of my issues with them.

Are there decent alternatives? The soundlink headphones can be charged but don't have the noise cancelling - though the nc is not essential. What other models should I be looking at? Basically want them to be chargable and hold a decent charge, be super comfortable, have a nice balanced sound (not too bright but don't have to be bass heavy either - a relaxed sound that's nice and clear), and have bluetooth. I'll be using these on the train, at work, and travelling.
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 9:03 PM   #5920
Nerdbox87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
I've been considering the QC35 headphones for a while because they're bluetooth and freaking comfortable. I find many on-ear headphones to have far too much 'clamping' force and can't use them for extended periods of time.

However, I dont like that 1. they can't be charged and require batteries, 2. when you turn off noise cancelling they sound terrible. 3. For what they are the're quite expensive, but that's really the least of my issues with them.

Are there decent alternatives? The soundlink headphones can be charged but don't have the noise cancelling - though the nc is not essential. What other models should I be looking at? Basically want them to be chargable and hold a decent charge, be super comfortable, have a nice balanced sound (not too bright but don't have to be bass heavy either - a relaxed sound that's nice and clear), and have bluetooth. I'll be using these on the train, at work, and travelling.
Ugh what? Can't be charged? They charge via USB and last 10hrs+ between charges...
Nerdbox87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 9:05 PM   #5921
Copie

And you can charge them whilst you are using them
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 12:37 PM   #5922
Sharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdbox87 View Post
Ugh what? Can't be charged? They charge via USB and last 10hrs+ between charges...
Could have sworn I saw them listed as needing batteries...perhaps I was looking at an old model's description?

Still, i'd prefer a set that also sounds good without noise cancellation, but might just be best to bite the bullet and pick these up.
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 2:26 PM   #5923
Matthew kane

As much as I hate Bose, the QC35's is probably the best when it comes to a portable wireless noise cancelling headphone.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 2:45 PM   #5924
DraGoN-BoY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
As much as I hate Bose, the QC35's is probably the best when it comes to a portable wireless noise cancelling headphone.
I bought the QC35 for the missus, I found them to be super comfortable and the noise cancelling is top notch. However the Sony MDR-1000X are also worth a look. SQ wise I prefer the Sony, also the Sony have more options when it comes to noise cancelling.

Personally I use IEMs with custom molded sleeves and found the noise isolation on par with the noise cancelling of the Bose.
Old 17th May 2017, 6:04 PM   #5925
sanjeevlives

i got the parrot zik 2 for a recent trip and the NC in the plane was fantastic, could hear every word from my tv shows clearly and in the airport with NC set lower [you can set the amount via the app] it was still sounding good
|| 4790K @ 4.7 | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16GB Gskill 2400 | EVGA 1070 SC | Sound Blaster Z | Sandisk 960gb | 8tb | Corsair AX860 | Phanteks Evolv Glass | Samsung S27A950D | Logitech Z623 ||
Tracking the IPA's impact on Australia
It's no longer "our" government. The government is now the sole proprietorship of global corporate interests. - ThankDog
sanjeevlives is offline   Reply With Quote