Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Old 21st April 2017, 3:21 PM   #22516
IACSecurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindarin Ultra View Post
I wish xtranormal was still around.. used to make cool little vids with it, and i cant find a better/as good replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
Has anyone had folder indexing issues after the win10 creator update installs?

Installed it thismorning after twenty reboots. But now every time a file dialog pops up, it's as if it has to rebuild the folder preview of what sorting type I had it in previously, ect. Very strange.
21st reboot is a charm
Old 21st April 2017, 3:21 PM   #22517
FromPaul

Hey! MongoDB had the best free tshirt at the aws summit recently.

I mean if a company care about its swag then I can't hate on them...that much.

that being said there was a lot of drones being given away and a few of those were prime, some were absolute shit (shitebox copies of namebrands)
Old 21st April 2017, 3:31 PM   #22518
Shags

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Time to hit up Seek, my friend. Bad culture is like a cancer.
I'd likely get slightly more money - 20% tops by switching but i'd have to move to the City - where I would be far out of pocket due to cost of living - I'm full time remote work - which is rare for an Australian based company (I think anyway) - it's too big a benefit to give up.
Shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 3:32 PM   #22519
EvilGenius

Quote:
Has anyone had folder indexing issues after the win10 creator update installs?

Installed it thismorning after twenty reboots. But now every time a file dialog pops up, it's as if it has to rebuild the folder preview of what sorting type I had it in previously, ect. Very strange.
Don't think that's related to the creators update. I'm still on 1511 on this rig for some reason and I get that all the time.
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 4:15 PM   #22520
Cape_Horn

What is it with project managers.
Morning conversation: "Your work should start at 1930, I'll call at 1915 to say how on time things are"
After lunch, same PM sends through the runsheet with expected timings.

When you go through the expected timings, my work should start at the earliest 2315, and working with a team who in the last 6 months have never handed anything over within an hour of when they were supposed to.

Afternoon pre-change meeting "And Cape will be starting at 1900, so testing should be able to be started by 1930..." (There is another 2 hours of work [according to the runsheet] between my job finishing and the start of testing)

Fuck it, was going to do the change from work, but now - going home early, they can call when they want me.
Originally Posted by mshagg View Post
Lol, yeah but deadlifting 200kg is OCAU's answer to everything...
Cape_Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 4:25 PM   #22521
^catalyst

Interesting read :

Most software engineers in India can't engineer software

I'm actually dealing with this at the moment, a company we deal with is getting some work done by one of these developers and I'm stuck in the middle.

I've never seen so much work done for such a small change in my life. On top of all of it the job is integrating against a very well documented public API; it would have to be one of the easiest specs to read in the entire world.

Must have had 30 emails from the company "Why doesn't work?", response is always "Doesn't meet api spec, please see $specUrl"

Colossal waste of time.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 4:41 PM   #22522
Luke212

much better to groom a few overseas programmers than to try and hire large teams. ie a couple offshore programmers managed by an onshore programmer. many people have found out they are not a silver bullet!

Last edited by Luke212; 21st April 2017 at 4:43 PM.
Luke212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 4:57 PM   #22523
GumbyNoTalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^catalyst View Post
Must have had 30 emails from the company "Why doesn't work?", response is always "Doesn't meet api spec, please see $specUrl"

Colossal waste of time.
When you write the code and can't figure out why your code doesn't work then you are not a programmer, likewise if you cannot test your code properly before release... just fuck off and work at maccas.

send them 2 links.

1. Public API documentation.
2. lPostman or curl

And tell them to debug their shitpile of code because that is what you are paying them for!

ARK!!! I hate people asking why something that is used by (guessing) millions of people just happen to be broken because their little scripty doesn't work with said API.

/RANT
GumbyNoTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 5:03 PM   #22524
ir0nhide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^catalyst View Post
I've never seen so much work done for such a small change in my life. On top of all of it the job is integrating against a very well documented public API; it would have to be one of the easiest specs to read in the entire world.

Colossal waste of time.
A lot of people I know are starting to see a shift away from India due to everything that's 50% cheaper per hour taking 4x the hours to complete, and then needing to be fixed locally afterwards anyway. Can't come soon enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think you'll find the diggers would prefer he goes in marine uniform.
ir0nhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 8:05 PM   #22525
Fred Nurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
Dell...

Fault 3.
They have sent a partial delivery with no paperwork.

GG Dell.
Delivery? What Delivery? I don't have anything here... Where's my stuff?
People measure effort when they can't measure results. When someone complains of a lack of effort on your part, you've already won as they don't know what you are doing, and they don't know what you should be doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
im an idiot savant.
Fred Nurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:38 PM   #22526
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Found out we were spending thousands on low-quality video sharing portals today (and not for anything with any security/confidentiality requirements either. All banal crap).

I questioned why we weren't using the locked down YouTube channels we get with every single account we pay for to save these thousands. The response was "it's too difficult".

I reminded the same audience that my 11 year old daughter maintains her own YouTube channel. The response: "Yeah, but that's your DNA, so it's different and doesn't count".

TIL: children could replace grown adults I work with, they don't even consider that concerning, and will rationalise it away with little effort.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 12:01 PM   #22527
GreyWolfe01

Quote:
I reminded the same audience that my 11 year old daughter maintains her own YouTube channel. The response: "Yeah, but that's your DNA, so it's different and doesn't count".
Not sure if you should be proud or insulted.
Mi Goreng Noodle Club member #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman
Meh, she couldn't really turn me on either, might have had something to do with her adverse fear of penises - except when they're in her vagina.
GreyWolfe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 12:27 PM   #22528
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Quote:
The response was "it's too difficult".
Invariably these are the same people who have never even looked at it to know how simple it is, and when you finally show them just how simple it is, they come up with more random excuses like "Oh, this other guy showed me before and it looked more complex than that", or "Oh, YouTube must have improved since the last time I looked at it", or "Oh, I thought that the easy version was a paid version or something".

Sigh.
Old 24th April 2017, 12:28 PM   #22529
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Not sure if you should be proud or insulted.
TBH, the overriding emotion right now is that I need to find a better/smarter collection of people to work with. As much as I love the creativity, I really need to work somewhere where more than 5% of the staff have basic logic skills.

Could be just a bad month, but it's really tiring. Maybe time for a holiday.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 1:13 PM   #22530
Doc-of-FC

Quote:
Found out we were spending thousands on low-quality video sharing portals today (and not for anything with any security/confidentiality requirements either. All banal crap).

twiddling my thumbs waiting on supermicro kit.
Doc-of-FC is offline   Reply With Quote