Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 9th February 2017, 10:00 AM   #1021
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^catalyst View Post
Confusing, is it going to be on the phones or not I wonder?
It won't be on the phones. Some headphone makers want to use in on the headphone end of cables. So they can provide cables for iPhone and Android in the box with their headphones.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 10:34 AM   #1022
martini.txt

If only someone could make a standardised port for accessories..
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo
martini.txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 11:05 AM   #1023
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini.txt View Post
If only someone could make a standardised port for accessories..
<oblig> https://m.xkcd.com/927/ </oblig>

Last edited by elvis; 9th February 2017 at 11:13 AM.
elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 12:01 PM   #1024
kreegor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
I love the alt title of the image as well.

Quote:
Fortunately, the charging one has been solved now that we've all standardized on mini-USB. Or is it micro-USB? Shit.
kreegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 12:40 PM   #1025
^catalyst

Quote:
I have a hotkey for this xkcd for when my coworkers get too clever. Golden.
^catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 10:43 AM   #1026
elvis
Old school old fool

Well, this is ramping up for us big time. We've had an influx of new staff and a lot of hardware due for replacement. So far everyone wants a Mac, but hates the new MBP with their limited connectivity options (we need high speed network for media transfers, portable RAID arrays for footage reviews, and a host of other connectivity options).

Not only do the new MBPs force users to carry bags of dongles everywhere, the financial hit is enormous when we can buy an identically specced laptop from another manufacturer for literally half the price (a big deal when we're talking our volume of users). And that's just talking about the laptop itself, not the savings we'd make on not buying endless dongles.

Staff are 50/50 admin and creatives, so at least half of them are equivalent to your "doctor/lawyer/teacher" types that people in this thread insist are the new audience for Mac, and yet the screaming is incredible.

A few are happy to use older model Macbooks (a mix of Pros and Airs - particularly admin folk who spend all day in documents). Performance power users can't do that, as they need better everything (screens, CPU, GPU, RAM, storage).

Lots of unhappy Mac users across our dozen or so sites. Still not sure what the future holds, as they all hate Windows, but might not have a lot of choice soon.
Old 14th February 2017, 10:54 AM   #1027
millsy_c

That's gotta be a challenge for keeping your environment up to date, I still haven't quite found an alternative to the older style MBP 15" in terms of flexibility, build quality, weight and power (for the time).

Can you use the Dell XPS w/ *nix?
Alternatively the thinkpad T470's are gonna have TB3 *and* useful ports, or their P50 line has machines with built in pantone colour calibrators and 100% gamut panels which is kinda neat, although probably not up to the standards your staff will require.
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 11:04 AM   #1028
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy_c View Post
That's gotta be a challenge for keeping your environment up to date, I still haven't quite found an alternative to the older style MBP 15" in terms of flexibility, build quality, weight and power (for the time).
Yup, but we can't use those forever. We also have a subset of users who need more power than that.

Quote:
Can you use the Dell XPS w/ *nix?
Not for Adobe users, which we have a lot of. It's Mac or Windows as their only choices.

Ubuntu works for admin staff (we tested it, was received well). 99% of our work is done through a web browser now, so it gives good performance, battery life and hardware support. And obviously VFX is Linux as an industry standard. But again, no Adobe support is a big issue for many of our Mac-using creatives on the editorial side of the business.
Old 14th February 2017, 11:15 AM   #1029
millsy_c

Quote:
Yup, but we can't use those forever. We also have a subset of users who need more power than that.

Not for Adobe users, which we have a lot of. It's Mac or Windows as their only choices.

Ubuntu works for admin staff (we tested it, was received well). 99% of our work is done through a web browser now, so it gives good performance, battery life and hardware support. And obviously VFX is Linux as an industry standard. But again, no Adobe support is a big issue for many of our Mac-using creatives on the editorial side of the business.
Well the choice is clear as mud I suppose there unfortunately. In saying that, I'll be interested to hear how you go integrating windows into your environment
Old 14th February 2017, 11:46 AM   #1030
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Well the choice is clear as mud I suppose there unfortunately. In saying that, I'll be interested to hear how you go integrating windows into your environment
Depends on which part of the business we're talking about. VFX is heavily invested in BASH and Python to initialise things, so Linux and Mac work well. If we put Windows machines in there, they'll literally need to be "AdobeOS" machines and nothing else. They'll have no access to our pipeline or other tools, and will be used as bespoke bits of software only.

For editorial, it's less of an issue. They don't use a complex collection of tools like VFX do. Often one or two major tools max to do an edit, and no command line at all. So Mac or Windows will be a near identical workflow, other than the OS itself, which regardless of what anyone says is not nearly as much of an issue as people make it (use AVID and Google Chrome on either OS in full screen, and it's all the same shit. Any complaints are just people being irrational precious snowflakes).
Old 14th February 2017, 12:04 PM   #1031
millsy_c

Quote:
Depends on which part of the business we're talking about. VFX is heavily invested in BASH and Python to initialise things, so Linux and Mac work well. If we put Windows machines in there, they'll literally need to be "AdobeOS" machines and nothing else. They'll have no access to our pipeline or other tools, and will be used as bespoke bits of software only.

For editorial, it's less of an issue. They don't use a complex collection of tools like VFX do. Often one or two major tools max to do an edit, and no command line at all. So Mac or Windows will be a near identical workflow, other than the OS itself, which regardless of what anyone says is not nearly as much of an issue as people make it (use AVID and Google Chrome on either OS in full screen, and it's all the same shit. Any complaints are just people being irrational precious snowflakes).
Sent you a PM as it's a bit out of scope of this thread
Old 14th February 2017, 3:55 PM   #1032
wintermute000

Quote:

bash on win10 works ok for me, but SSH port forwarding is borked, and there's no way for pycharm to hook in except via a hack as a remote interpreter, SSH to loopback ugh
wintermute000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 9:51 PM   #1033
605jimmy

I have had the non touch bar, touch bar 13 inch MacBook Pro 2016 and the touch bar 15 inch MacBook Pro 2016. Not a fan for a number of reasons, key travel, hate the touch bar, only having USB C ports sucks ATM.

I have sold my 15 inch just last week and bought a 2015/13 inch MacBook Pro and wouldn't go back. bought a second 2015/13 inch MacBook Pro 512Gb SSD/16Gb to run multiple virtual machines. Just waiting for delivery. Only thing I miss is the speakers of the latest MacBook Pro. Touch pad being half the size on the 2015 isn't an issue, didn't even notice the difference. just my 2 cents for anyone looking to buy the new 2016 models.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:28 PM   #1034
MUTMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 605jimmy View Post
I have had the non touch bar, touch bar 13 inch ...
... hate the touch bar ...

is that a new model ? the non touch bar touch bar ? can you add any options ? like a touch bar ?
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 8:49 AM   #1035
605jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
is that a new model ? the non touch bar touch bar ? can you add any options ? like a touch bar ?
You can get the new model with or without the touch bar but only on the 13inch model, the 15inch comes standard with the touch bar only.