Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Extreme and Water Cooling

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th August 2017, 8:46 AM   #1
Duff Man Thread Starter

Default Separate AIO Coolers for CPU & GPU

Brand new to water cooling and don't want to invest or maintain a "pro" setup....yet.

My PC is also on my left so any bling wouldn't be seen.

I'm thinking of getting the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid but am also thinking of getting an AIO for the CPU too. I'm looking at some slight overclocking but am mainly looking at cooler temps.

Any thoughts of running 2 AIO's?
Intel Core I7 6700K @ 4.2 MHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - 16g DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 - Windows 10 Professional - Coolermaster CPU Hyper 612 V2 - 550w Modular PSU - Nvidia GTX 980 - 128GB SSD - Various capacity HDD's - Fractal Define R5 CASE
Duff Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th August 2017, 1:23 PM   #2
rvrftw

It won't be as good as a custom loop... but there won't be anything wrong with running 2 aio's
rvrftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 4:03 PM   #3
Duff Man Thread Starter

Thanks.... Not ready to go the custom loop yet even though it does interest me. Just don't see the point yet with my pc to my left with a window to it all up against a wall.

Any suggestions for a reliable cpu cooler for my system that's in my sig? Don't mind paying for quality.

Im thinking definitely 240 to 280 rad up top as I don't want to lose my hdd cage at front but if I do go 280 I will lose my rear exhaust fan and I think I'll lose my front intake with the sc2 hybrid.

Bit confused what fans to run if I go two AIO's.

I was thinking one intake at the bottom and maybe just a 240 rad at top so I can keep my rear exhaust.
Intel Core I7 6700K @ 4.2 MHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - 16g DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 - Windows 10 Professional - Coolermaster CPU Hyper 612 V2 - 550w Modular PSU - Nvidia GTX 980 - 128GB SSD - Various capacity HDD's - Fractal Define R5 CASE
Old 12th August 2017, 5:52 PM   #4
DarkSnipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Man View Post
Thanks.... Not ready to go the custom loop yet even though it does interest me. Just don't see the point yet with my pc to my left with a window to it all up against a wall.

Any suggestions for a reliable cpu cooler for my system that's in my sig? Don't mind paying for quality.

Im thinking definitely 240 to 280 rad up top as I don't want to lose my hdd cage at front but if I do go 280 I will lose my rear exhaust fan and I think I'll lose my front intake with the sc2 hybrid.

Bit confused what fans to run if I go two AIO's.

I was thinking one intake at the bottom and maybe just a 240 rad at top so I can keep my rear exhaust.
For brands you can always look for Corsair ones or NZXT if you want some RGB, if you looking for expandable aio coolers just wait out for EK MLC.

For the fans, stock fan should usually do the job if you do not like their performance or noise you can always look for EK Vardar locally or Scythe Gentle Typhoon if you are able to source them from China.
Old 12th August 2017, 6:01 PM   #5
Bold Eagle

Are you going to stick with that case (Fractal Define R5 CASE)? or are you willing to get something suitable to match? It looks like a nice case but not fit for a Dual/Tri RAD CPU AIO and a single rad GPU AIO.

It will significantly dictate what systems you can get and mount.

I have had a Corsair H70 in push/pull for 5 years and it still goes strong.

If I was buying I would readily consider the Corsair H100v2 units (or even H110v1 extreme):
http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/P...d=2&sid=270896

But you want the right case to mount it.

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 12th August 2017 at 6:17 PM.
Bold Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 8:12 PM   #6
Duff Man Thread Starter

Hmmm... Really appreciate the replies.

I'm not sure why the case would be unsuitable?

With a 240 on top and a 120 on front I thought it would be adequate. Probably not ideal but would get the job done.

TBH the only reason I'm thinking of going this path is that I've been building this system slowly over the last year for VR. My Oculus should ship any day now and I'm in the market for 1080 Ti and I'm torn between getting a hybrid card or just air. Depends what hour of the day it is

Maybe I should just stick with a cpu AIO for now and do the whole thing right later.
Old 12th August 2017, 8:39 PM   #7
rvrftw

I would suggest getting one of the fractal aio's... As you can open them up and add a gpu at a later stage (much cheaper than going a custom loop)

https://youtu.be/fDeDnm3V3j4

Honestly, I would probably do this next time instead of a full custom build

Last edited by rvrftw; 12th August 2017 at 8:41 PM.
rvrftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 8:52 PM   #8
DarkSnipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Man View Post
Hmmm... Really appreciate the replies.

I'm not sure why the case would be unsuitable?

With a 240 on top and a 120 on front I thought it would be adequate. Probably not ideal but would get the job done.

TBH the only reason I'm thinking of going this path is that I've been building this system slowly over the last year for VR. My Oculus should ship any day now and I'm in the market for 1080 Ti and I'm torn between getting a hybrid card or just air. Depends what hour of the day it is

Maybe I should just stick with a cpu AIO for now and do the whole thing right later.
I used own a Define R5, air flow of this case is not that great due to all the drive cages at the front blocking all the intake and no dust filter if you remove the top otherwise its great. You can always get a 1080Ti with a reference design PCB and buy an EVGA hybrid kit later should you feel the need to water cool your graphics card if it is running too hot.
Old 12th August 2017, 9:12 PM   #9
Duff Man Thread Starter

I'm only using the bottom cage which leaves the front intake unrestricted. The front also has a full cover filter.

Think I just need to stop looking into it too much. The thought of a simple aio for both cpu and gpu appealed to me but the amount of time looking into it I may as well just stick with air cooled gpu for now.

Just went to purchase a 1080 ti ftw3 off newegg and the price has jumped $40 since this morning bringing it over the $1000 mark. Can't win
Old 13th August 2017, 9:00 PM   #10
i7Baby

I'd plug the GPU cooler into the rear fan slot and blow air out through it.

For the CPU, I'd get a 2 x 120 or 2 x 140mm radiator and have the 2 fans blow air out through the top. I'd get an AIO with the latest Asetek pump. This could be from - http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/21...d-coolers-oems

AIO coolers should be replaced about every 5 years (so you don't spring a leak)
Old 13th August 2017, 9:31 PM   #11
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by i7Baby View Post
I'd plug the GPU cooler into the rear fan slot and blow air out through it.

For the CPU, I'd get a 2 x 120 or 2 x 140mm radiator and have the 2 fans blow air out through the top. I'd get an AIO with the latest Asetek pump. This could be from - http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/21...d-coolers-oems

AIO coolers should be replaced about every 5 years (so you don't spring a leak)
The problem with mounting at the top or rear - the thickness of the RAD and fans means you are partially blocking the other slots so it ends up being top or rear mounted RAD. If you want to go push/pull this compounds that even further.

If we look at this video of the R5 they show the case with a tri-RAD and double-RAD (from 57s) bye bye HDD cage.