Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual > HTPC

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 10th August 2017, 3:49 PM   #121
Copie

The 400 is good, it's what I have, but with PHT and intels remote mouse/keyboard app I never use it
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th August 2017, 3:52 PM   #122
miicah

I used to use it when I had a laptop as my HTPC, but my TelstraTV does all that now.

It's not bad for being a Telstra device, just wish I could install more apps on it.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 4:19 PM   #123
Scandrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie View Post
You can download plex home theatre then use your phone to cast to it. Just like a chromecast
Thanks, will give it a go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyRax1 View Post
While you're at it, get a better wireless keyboard and mouse. I personally like the Logitech K400 Plus which is very nimble to operate.

Also supports Android and Linux/Windows pinch to zoom actions. Great when reviewing Google Maps and the like.
That's what I'm currently using Just comparatively not as simple vs the browsing phone/casting method I find.
Scandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 4:21 PM   #124
htpcfan

I use a $45 AUD Amlogic S905X chipset Mini M8S Android media player, but I run LibreElec from an SD card so I don't use Android at all. LibreElec supports auto frame rate output depending on the content being played (23.97/24/25/30/50/60 Hz) as well as giving me optical audio output to my ancient AVR.

Content is mostly 720p/1080p HEVC encoded material on my NAS (HP n36l running Xpenology) and streamed over wired network.

Recently added an air mouse ($25) for ease of use.

Currently fiddling with LibreElec and installing RetroArch plugin so I can also have some retro gaming fun when I'm not watching an episode or movie.

Total media centre cost including the 32GB SD card is about $90 AUD.

Last edited by htpcfan; 10th August 2017 at 4:23 PM.
htpcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 5:10 PM   #125
NerfDude

400 plus arrow keys
I have the older k400r and k830. Happy with both of those.

Edit: those s905/s905X boxes are tremendous value for money. Definitely recommend using librelec as you are, stock android ROMS are generally terrible on those.

Last edited by NerfDude; 10th August 2017 at 5:13 PM.
NerfDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 8:41 PM   #126
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I'm running an Android box in my daughters room loaded with Kodi and the TVheadend addon, Works great, but no good in the home theater as it can't bitstream audio (can't even send multichannel PCM for that matter).

In the hometheater I'm still running a custom built HTPC running a Sandybridge i3 and an Intel iGPU, it also runs Kodi as well as the TVheadend addon, works perfectly as it can send multichannel PCM - It's running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS.

My Nexus 9 also runs Kodi as well as the TVheadend addon, great for sitting up in bed watching media.

The server is located in the equipment rack in the garage. It runs an i7 2600 with 16GB of ram, 60GB SSD for the OS and 5TB of storage as well as dual PlayTV tuners and TVheadend server software, also running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I've got a Chromecast, I find it next to useless for streaming media as I'm not really interested in Plex and haven't had much success with anything else.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 8:44 PM   #127
mr camouflage

Mine:

CASE: Silverstone LC-10M (about 15 years old and has had the internals upgraded 3 times). Silverstone silent power supply.
Media Player: VLC
MB: Gigabyte something or other
CPU: Intel i3 maybe? I forget.
HD: 3 x 3TB WD Green drives
RAM: 4GB
logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

Connected to a sony Standard Definition TV about the same vintage.
Really need to upgrade my TV, so i can use XMBC or Kodi or whatever the cool kids are using these days.

Last edited by mr camouflage; 14th August 2017 at 1:17 AM. Reason: edit: only has 4 gig ram, not 8
mr camouflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 7:48 AM   #128
NerfDude

Kodi can definitely run on that computer.
Old 11th August 2017, 8:45 AM   #129
MaximusSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr camouflage View Post
Mine:

CASE: Silverstone LC-10M (about 15 years old and has had the internals upgraded 3 times). Silverstone silent power supply.
Media Player: VLC
MB: Gigabyte something or other
CPU: Intel i3 maybe? I forget.
HD: 3 x 3TB WD Green drives
RAM: 8GB
logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

Connected to a sony Standard Definition TV about the same vintage.
Really need to upgrade my TV, so i can use XMBC or Kodi or whatever the cool kids are using these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfDude View Post
Agreed. My kodi pc for the main home theatre room is a core 2 duo e8400. So you'll be fine. As long as it has a vid card in the last 5 years (for decoding video) . i3 might also decode video okay. And whack an ssd in there if you're anal about speed (I am).
Main Rig: 4690k@4.2 ghz | Asrock Z97 Anniversary | 2x4gb G.skill 1600mhz CL9 | Samsung 840 Pro (RAID 0) | Corsair Carbide Air 240 | Silverstone ST65F-G | Gigabyte GTX980 ti G1 | Philips 40" 4k monitor
ESXi: Intel S2600CP2J | Xeon E5-2560 x 2 | 128gb 1600mhz ECC RAM | 1TB Samsung Evo SSD | Fractal XL
MaximusSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 9:02 AM   #130
wintermute000

Sandy bridge i3 htpc here on kodi, zero issues with 1080 content, x264 is accelerated and CPU handles HEVC
wintermute000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 6:46 PM   #131
grrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusSmurf View Post
And whack an ssd in there if you're anal about speed (I am).
Smurfs were all male except for Smurfette that Gargamel created. It is no surprise that MaximusSmurf is anal.

Last edited by grrrr; 13th August 2017 at 6:48 PM.
grrrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 1:17 AM   #132
mr camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfDude View Post
It wasn't the computer that was the problem, it's the old SD TV. Whatever I tried to run on it before (Don't think it was Kodi) didn't scale well to the lower SD screen res. IIRC there were control icons I couldn't get to very well. eg, mostly off the screen, so I gave up. On HDMI the TV input is slightly cropped, and VGA it's slightly too small (black borders around the edge of the screen).

I just noticed I actually have Kodi installed on it, will give it another try to see if it's usable, although I only really installed it for live TV, since windows 10 killed windows media center.
mr camouflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 8:02 AM   #133
NerfDude

You should be able to overcome that by changing your GPUs scaling settings, or failing that by Kodi's video calibration in video settings. Use the / key to change to window mode to navigate to there if need be.