Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th August 2017, 2:24 PM   #2746
Aussiejuggalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terroristone View Post
I'm glade Jim @ AdoredTV got a good sample, love watching his videos and the amount of detail he goes into is above and beyond anyone else, Gamers Nexus does have good content from time to time but its easy to loose interest as he often starts rambling on. Steve from Hardware Unboxed is also good, but his side kick Tim I cannot stand watching.

T1
Yeah he was surprised he got a Threadripper review sample and considering he got the watercooled Vega is pretty big I think, shows AMD have at least some confidence in him to send the highest end one out.

I don't really care about Gamers Nexus tbh and I think it's no big loss if they didn't get a review sample, to boring, rambles and I just get the feeling that in person he'd be a know it all prick.

My baby: AMD 1800X / MSI B350M Mortar Arctic / G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz C14 / Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC (Something new) / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA G2 850w / Caselabs SM5 / Dell U2414H x2 & Asus VG248QE
Aussiejuggalo is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th August 2017, 2:28 PM   #2747
maxrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post
Looks like most reviewers got samples, heaps of unboxing's but doesn't leave much time for reviews...

Seems like Gamers Nexus was left out this time with Joker & AdoredTV getting samples. Most reviewers got the plastic version of the 64, Paul got the limited edition, and AdoredTV got the liquid cooled version.
Not too surprised AdoredTV and Joker got the reviewing samples from AMD since they're the 2 biggest AMD fanboy. I'll definitely be following Steve from HardwareUnboxed to do an unbiased review on Vega.

Last edited by maxrig; 13th August 2017 at 2:32 PM.
maxrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 2:36 PM   #2748
terroristone

Quote:
Yeah he was surprised he got a Threadripper review sample and considering he got the watercooled Vega is pretty big I think, shows AMD have at least some confidence in him to send the highest end one out.

I don't really care about Gamers Nexus tbh and I think it's no big loss if they didn't get a review sample, to boring, rambles and I just get the feeling that in person he'd be a know it all prick.
Perfect candidate to do a sneako on with a pair of scissors and cut his mop off, his reaction would be priceless.

https://youtu.be/7m7ewouLQXA
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI R9 390X - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 - ACER XR341CK - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9 - G502
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 3:13 PM   #2749
mAJORD

I typically hate all video reviews, so out of those lot, I don't really care
Ryzen OC / Owners Thread
mAJORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 3:19 PM   #2750
Geno

Quote:
I'm glade Jim @ AdoredTV got a good sample, love watching his videos and the amount of detail he goes into is above and beyond anyone else, Gamers Nexus does have good content from time to time but its easy to loose interest as he often starts rambling on. Steve from Hardware Unboxed is also good, but his side kick Tim I cannot stand watching.

T1
100% agree, I thought I was the only one that saw him to have a magical sedative effect.

His lifeless and monotone voice crits me everytime, its super effective.
Old 13th August 2017, 3:37 PM   #2751
SKITZ0_000

Adored seems to be a really decent guy, he sounded genuinely stoked in his Threadripper and Vega unboxing clips as well.

Gamers Nexus while he is a bit dry and does ramble on, is one of the few reviewers I actually trust to understand what he's talking about, well researched and relatively unbiased.

That Vega FE liquid in Adored's unboxing was sexy AF, while it is a bit of a waste I do appreciate decent packaging, it does make you feel real good (by design) after spending all that money on hardware.

I have a GTX 1080 in both mine and my partners pc's (1440P, identical spec Ryzen systems) pretty keen to get one of the Vega 64 liquid and just will just wear the cost (hopefully not too steep). Most reviewers only test flagship AAA or popular titles so it's good to roll with both brands for science (personal interest) based off the games I actually play.

Travel, lift, trip, learn, ride.
SKITZ0_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 5:28 PM   #2752
ADV

Anyone a little apprehensive with Vega RX 64's (air) - 750w PSU requirement.

And on gigabytes site, 1000W! for just one Vega 64 (water).

O_o

Last edited by ADV; 13th August 2017 at 5:41 PM.
ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 5:43 PM   #2753
Aussiejuggalo

The PSU isn't exactly a "requirement" just a suggestion, Vega will pull at most 375w, so any decent 700w will power it no problem, 850w sliver or gold rated just to be 100% sure.

My baby: AMD 1800X / MSI B350M Mortar Arctic / G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz C14 / Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC (Something new) / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA G2 850w / Caselabs SM5 / Dell U2414H x2 & Asus VG248QE
Old 13th August 2017, 6:13 PM   #2754
terroristone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKITZ0_000 View Post
Adored seems to be a really decent guy, he sounded genuinely stoked in his Threadripper and Vega unboxing clips as well.

Gamers Nexus while he is a bit dry and does ramble on, is one of the few reviewers I actually trust to understand what he's talking about, well researched and relatively unbiased.

That Vega FE liquid in Adored's unboxing was sexy AF, while it is a bit of a waste I do appreciate decent packaging, it does make you feel real good (by design) after spending all that money on hardware.

I have a GTX 1080 in both mine and my partners pc's (1440P, identical spec Ryzen systems) pretty keen to get one of the Vega 64 liquid and just will just wear the cost (hopefully not too steep). Most reviewers only test flagship AAA or popular titles so it's good to roll with both brands for science (personal interest) based off the games I actually play.
He definitely is, ive had a few private convos with him over the past 6 months.
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI R9 390X - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 - ACER XR341CK - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9 - G502
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 7:11 PM   #2755
Aussiejuggalo

Dunno if anyone else seen this but according to Reddit,
Quote:
Unboxing embargo lift on Saturday, August 12, 11AM EDT: AMD permits unboxing photos or videos only.
RX Vega 64 performance embargo lift on August 14, 9AM EDT.
Performance embargo lift for Vega 56 on August 14, 9AM EDT.
Vega 56 launches on 8/28.
So 11pm tomorrow are when reviews should go live, I'm really hoping we get Aus pricing for both cards as well but it'll probably just be for the 64 version .

Edit, Also Tom's Hardware stripped down the card already and looks like they stuck an AIO to it to.

Last edited by Aussiejuggalo; 13th August 2017 at 7:16 PM.
Old 13th August 2017, 7:41 PM   #2756
hawpinghaxbag

Quote:
Edit, Also Tom's Hardware stripped down the card already and looks like they stuck an AIO to it to.

Great comment there

"
I really hope this unboxing the boxes, unboxing the product, putting the product on a motherboard, showing the fans spin and RGB lighting turn on, etc. all with different embargo dates before the actual review all in separate coverage stories thing isn't going to become the norm. The intent is clearly to generate hype but the net effect for me feels more like stall burn-out - by the time the actual review comes out, I'm tired of hearing about it from redundant and only marginally relevant coverage."
hawpinghaxbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 8:09 PM   #2757
SKITZ0_000

Quote:
He definitely is, ive had a few private convos with him over the past 6 months.
Yeah I'm a Patreon, have queried him a few times, always get a good response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawpinghaxbag View Post
I really hope this unboxing the boxes, unboxing the product, putting the product on a motherboard, showing the fans spin and RGB lighting turn on, etc. all with different embargo dates before the actual review all in separate coverage stories thing isn't going to become the norm. The intent is clearly to generate hype but the net effect for me feels more like stall burn-out - by the time the actual review comes out, I'm tired of hearing about it from redundant and only marginally relevant coverage."
Yeah but you don't have to watch them, sure it can be a bit hypey, but it gives those who are actually excited for the hardware a little something-something.

It's also a good way to show off the product a bit instead of everyone just skipping through to the benchmark tables - and when those tables do come out, it can be a clip only on performance instead of half a video of "unboxing, putting in motherboard, showing the fans spin up"

Travel, lift, trip, learn, ride.
SKITZ0_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 8:18 PM   #2758
ipv6ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawpinghaxbag View Post
Great comment there

"
I don't see an issue with hyping any product to the max, as long as it can live up the hype.

This one though bit of a meh, maybe I was expecting another Ryzen like gamer changer, but it turned out to be value card.

For sale whats left in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, i7-3770k, 2 x LSi 9261 (one with BBU), 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD
ipv6ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 8:56 PM   #2759
power

The hype is beyond stupid they aren't even retail box they are press kits ffs.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:13 PM   #2760
Dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
The hype is beyond stupid they aren't even retail box they are press kits ffs.
You mean the Vega hype that's been going on all year? Dunno, but I can appreciate cool packaging even if it's for reviewers only and doesn't really do anything other than look cool.