Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th January 2017, 7:26 AM   #1
TaroT Thread Starter

Default email i am stumped

ok i hate asking questions but here goes.
over the last month or so i ahv had a weird issue
if i send an email from outlook from the computer(anycomputer on the network) via my domain it will not arrive.
checking tracking in cpanel all green says accepted everything is ok but the email never shows up.

if is i send an email from my phone on the same network via wireless(and it isn't the wireless i checked as i put the computer through wireless with no affect) the email does go....exact same settings ecact same report in tracking in cpanel.
now
if i reply to a message it goes through 100 percent of the time again in tracking exactly the same thing.

thought it was a host issue they checked can't find anything.
thought it was avast because if i disable all shields and send an email it goes through but 2 minutes later it will stop working again.
uninstalled avast no help.
now it all seemed to happen after i joined Foxtel broadband(which by the way apart from that i have had zero issues)
so i checked the host ip with the blacklist and it is on 3 odd blacklists.

but the stupid thing is it is Foxtel.net.au which is some weirdass US proxy i believe.

my issue with that is if it was blacklisted why would replied emails go through.

now another test i did was connect via a vpn i have and that worked ok but i can't continue to connect to that all the time.

anyone ever come across this before or have any friggen idea what i should try next (emails using ssl/tls or none do the same thing)

i have lost half my hair

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th January 2017, 7:40 AM   #2
closed_gate

Sounds like Mail server might be blacklisted. However, when replying, it is possible that the recipient has personal whitelist on where the filter will acknowledge that the To address must be legitimate and will add to the whitelist so that replies are accepted.

Check Mxtoolbox.com to see if the domain/IP is blacklisted.
closed_gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 8:12 AM   #3
TaroT Thread Starter

sorry maybe i didn't mention that
the host as in my domain and the actual mailserver is not blacklisted on the host id blahblahfoxtel.net.au and the host ip with is Foxtel.net.au

i thought maybe there is a whitelist for my domain but we are talking anyone i send to Hotmail gmail anyone.

is there anyway to force host ip/name to be the mailservers and not this wierdass Foxtel one
Old 12th January 2017, 11:10 AM   #4
TehCamel

you should use the SMTP server for whatever your domain is.

You'll need to use SMTP with SSL on either port 465 or 587
port 25 outbound is commonly blockedby residential ISPs unless you use their mail server.
TehCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Gunna

Your phone will may the outgoing mail server of your carrier, E.G Telstra or it might be set up to use the incoming mail server as outgoing so regardless of internet connection it will work

Outlook may have your ISP setup as SMTP and is getting blocked
Gunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 12:42 PM   #6
TaroT Thread Starter

Quote:
Event: success success
User: bluetaro
Domain: bluetarot.com
Sender: mark@bluetarot.com
Sent Time: Jan 12, 2017 1:36:13 PM
Sender Host: cpe-172-194-83-91.nsw.foxtel.net.au
Sender IP: 172.194.83.91
Authentication: dovecot_login
Spam Score: 0
Recipient: gumtrees@hotmail.com
Delivery User: -remote-
Delivery Domain:
Delivered To: gumtrees@hotmail.com
Router: send_to_smtpq
Transport: remote_smtp
Out Time: Jan 12, 2017 1:36:13 PM
ID: 1cRVG7-003Ijd-NF
Delivery Host: vol-out.mail-filtering.com.au
Delivery IP: 172.25.0.40
Size: 3.68 KB
Result: Accepted

i use the domain(uber) to send mail as Foxtel does not do email.
again up until awhile ago it was going fine

i am using ssl port 465 to send as the setup goes from cpanel but neither will work

above is the accepted sent email but for some reason the sender ip etc is Foxtel.net.au not bluetarot.com

Quote:
Secure SSL/TLS Settings

(Recommended)

Username: xxxxxxxxx@bluetarot.com
Password: Use the email account’s password.
Incoming Server: mail.bluetarot.com •IMAP Port: 993
•POP3 Port: 995

Outgoing Server: mail.bluetarot.com •SMTP Port: 465

Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP.
again all email setup the same way
Old 12th January 2017, 2:23 PM   #7
EclipZ

cpe-172-194-83-91.nsw.foxtel.net.au is only the reverse lookup name for your Internet connection public IP (172.194.83.91).
Foxtel would be unlikely to adjust the name for it, but your Internet connection could also have a somewhat dynamic IP anyway.

Unless your cPanel hosting doesn't allow for port 587 for your outgoing (SMTP) server, that is a better choice to use with mail.bluetarot.com - it is the designated email message submission port and can help alleviate a lot of problems.

Not sure if it will help in this case though, as shown in your report your message to hotmail.com is being sent to this server for delivery:
Delivery Host: vol-out.mail-filtering.com.au
Delivery IP: 172.25.0.40

That is not a MS/Hotmail server, and is using a reserved IANA private IP, it appears your cPanel server is sending certain outgoing mail through there, if not all.

You would need to contact your host and check what happens after your messages are sent from your cPanel server and received successfully by that filtering relay.
It could be discarding your messages due to some spam filtering rules, or there could be a problem when that system attempts to deliver the messages.

You also may need your host to help edit your SPF/DKIM records to suit this configuration.
Old 12th January 2017, 4:14 PM   #8
TehCamel

The actual cpanel server is taking te email and delivering it to the private/internal address of the ironport mailfiltering device
which then sends it on to hotmail

unfortunately, not a great deal you can do unless you get someone who has a clue at the webhost.. because they see "accepted" and don't consider the fact that it's only been accepted y the Ironport
but ironport may have applied rules afterwards and dropped it without an NDR.

It shouldn't, but who knows

the whole thing is a bit strange overall
TehCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 7:56 AM   #9
TaroT Thread Starter

glad i,m not the only one seeing it as weird.

but why do replied emails always go through....you would think a filter ironport or otherwise would still Bermuda triangle those as well but still not the case.

i did contact the host and they said they checked it all and it went through but you are right they may just be looking at accepted as sent.

i have disconnected and reconnected and grabbed a different ip address with exactly the same issues and blacklists as well.

oh well the saga continues thanks for the help anyway.

quick update

ok changed to port 587 changed auth to auto instead of ssl as they said and it seems to be working now...cross fingers.

now stupid thing is i have already tried this before and it didn't work so who friggen knows.

thanks for the tip eclipz

Last edited by TaroT; 13th January 2017 at 8:05 AM.
TaroT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 8:50 AM   #10
EclipZ

No worries, glad to hear there is improvement.

Email sent through the Submission port 587 is usually treated better due to being seen as mail client software sending the message, rather than using the same ports (25 and 465) also used by mail servers for delivery of mail.
Those ports (25 and 465) can be blocked on some internet connections to limit spam being sent from compromised computers/device, so if you are out on the road using a different connection you should still be able to send using port 587 with less hassle.

When you reply to a message, as opposed to composing a new message from scratch, the filtering system or the recipient's mail server could treat it differently due to the differences in the overall message composition, but hard to tell without checking the logs for the system which handles the actual delivery to the recipient's email servers.
Old 14th January 2017, 1:35 PM   #11
TaroT Thread Starter

spoke to soon stopped working again with the 587 port.

going to email the host again and see if they can track it more.
sigh