Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Science

Notices

Old 2nd October 2017, 8:50 AM   #256
RobRoySyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes View Post
i for one cant help but imagine and hope that, when more people travel into space, their stories and images of their journey will help people back on earth realise that maybe wanting to kill a neighbour who crossed an imaginary line or believes a different book, isnt such a great use of their time
I'm old enough to have seen that "One small step..." live on TV. At the time I thought it was a giant step that would change humanity. It didn't.
On a positive note though it is remarkable how close we've come in the time since to all out nuclear war and each time someone hesitated and saved most of us from oblivion.

Quote:
this is but one of many possible positive effects. the full range of subtle, and not so subtle flow on effects is completely unknowable, until it happens
I agree, it's impossible to know for sure but look at how much human knowledge has advanced since we made it to the Moon and how little the majority have changed their thinking because of it. We're still mostly selfish, there's a strong scientific argument that we had to be selfish to have made it this far up the evolutionary tree. That alone maybe the solution to the Fermi Paradox.

Quote:
one of the biggest risks to civilisation is another asteroid. guess what would help prepare us to deal with that?
With enough time a not particularly massive ion thruster would be enough to change the path enough to avoid a collision. We're already doing a reasonable job of tracking anything big enough to wipe us out.

To answer your "how perfect" question I would say we need to evolve a robust hive mentality. We don't need to go to the Moon or Mars until we can create a self-sustaining small community here on Earth. Such efforts to date suggest it's a much harder task than it appears and the main issues are purely psychological. The idea that a small group of humans living on Mars could save our species from extinction if Earth became uninhabitable seems implausible to me.

From a different perspective to date every human that has ever lived was conceived and born on the surface of this planet. We have the means already to try for the first human conceived and born in space. It's an experiment not even the Soviets gave serious consideration to, our physiology just isn't adapted to space. We need to evolve into a new species adapted to space but that idea invokes a major ethical debate.
Old 2nd October 2017, 2:22 PM   #257
jakes

space exploration is about growth. its about meeting challenges and solving problems on a scale that demands the focused action of a global population. its about a change of focus from the petty to the substantial. from old borders to new frontiers. a paradigm and perspective shift with the same significance as the neolithic transition; when nomadic hunter gatherers settled and adopted agriculture, the basis for the establishment of civilisation as we know it. for civilisation to endure, it may not just be a positive influence, it may be essential
Old 12th October 2017, 8:42 AM   #258
Sphinx2000

Live webcast of SES-11 is on now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv1zeGSvhIw
T-minus 10 minutes.

This is the third time they will landing a 1st stage that already launched/landed earlier Feb this year.

Edit: aaand they nailed it, again for the 18th time in a row.

Last edited by Sphinx2000; 12th October 2017 at 9:12 AM.
Sphinx2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 12:32 PM   #259
Foliage

Anyone have any information about them recovering the second stage? You don't hear anything about it, I'd love to see what it looks like after burning up/crashing back into the ocean.
Old 12th October 2017, 9:13 PM   #260
lxboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
Anyone have any information about them recovering the second stage? You don't hear anything about it, I'd love to see what it looks like after burning up/crashing back into the ocean.
Don't have a direct answer but Musk stated they will likely attempt the recovery of the 2nd stage with the Falcon Heavy launch.
lxboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 9:35 PM   #261
RnR

AMA this weekend with Elon Musk - https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/918314470048382977
RnR is online now   Reply With Quote