Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Old 8th September 2017, 1:19 PM   #1
ibace Thread Starter

Default Monitor resolution issues

I have a Dell 2309 monitor, supposedly good for full HDMI @ 1920 x 1080. I use it only for testing new systems I've built...it sits in a corner of my test desk with both VGA and DVI leads plugged in ready to go.

The problem is that with the DVI lead plugged in the maximum resolution it will display is 1600 x 900. If the VGA lead is used, it shows 1920 x 1080 and if I use the VGA lead with a DVI adapter on, it will show 1920 x 1080 too, so to me it seems to be cable realted.

It makes no difference if it is the on-board video outlets or if there is a video card plugged in; if using the DVI lead, there is no way to adjust the resolution any higher than the 1600 x 900, even if a video card that is capable of full HDMI display in in use, and that video card is 'recognised' by the system, there are no higher resolution options listed. I have tried several different DVI leads as well...which is when I noticed there are differences with certain leads, or adapters. Some are missing certain terminals, others have thin Vs thick terminals [the end where there is either only the 1 pin or 1 + 4 pins].

So I 'lined up' the adapters I have that look different, and took a pic...can anyone advise why the different terminals in the adapters?

Tried using the 'add image link' - it didn't work so will have to use the other button;

https://imgur.com/SL2RPyX

Post Note: can anyone tell me how to submit a picture that actually shows in the post beiing made? I've seen pics in other members posts, but I can't figure out how to achieve that option, would like to know for future reference...
Kaby Lake i7 7700K, MSI B150 Mortar, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4 2400 & 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400, Corsair H100i Water Cooling, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 'X' 8GB, Kingston 250 GB SSD, 8TB on board Hard Drives, LG BluRay/DVD Burner powered by a Xigmatek 850 Watt Vector S Series 80Plus Silver Power Supply & housed in a smick NZXT Switch 810 White Case...Don't forget the pretty white LED lighting...it gives 9.2% more GLITZ !!

Last edited by ibace; 8th September 2017 at 1:22 PM. Reason: missing picture
ibace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 1:39 PM   #2
Bold Eagle

What is the DVI output source? (What is the video card?).....

The different DVI connector resolution potentials can be visualised here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Inspect your monitor input socket and make sure there is no damage.
Old 8th September 2017, 2:05 PM   #3
ibace Thread Starter

"What is the DVI output source? (What is the video card?)....." it doesn't matter what thesource is...over the past couple of months [yes, it really took that long before I made the effort to seek a cure] every system that was plugged in had the same issue; varied from i3 550, i5 760, i5 4460, i5 4670 and an i7 860 tried all on-board sockets, and had various video cards plugged in - GT210, GTS 450, GTX 670, HD 6670, HD 6850 even an old GT9500...it just seems as though it is caused by the cable ot the screen...

I have taken additional photos of each of the different cables I have had connected to the monitor...none seem to have made any difference, the black cable shown at the top of the album [image #2] is the cable currently connected....

https://imgur.com/a/d1ISX
Kaby Lake i7 7700K, MSI B150 Mortar, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4 2400 & 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400, Corsair H100i Water Cooling, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 'X' 8GB, Kingston 250 GB SSD, 8TB on board Hard Drives, LG BluRay/DVD Burner powered by a Xigmatek 850 Watt Vector S Series 80Plus Silver Power Supply & housed in a smick NZXT Switch 810 White Case...Don't forget the pretty white LED lighting...it gives 9.2% more GLITZ !!

Last edited by ibace; 8th September 2017 at 2:41 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 8th September 2017, 2:17 PM   #4
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibace View Post
"What is the DVI output source? (What is the video card?)....." it doesn't matter what thesource is...over the past couple of months [yes, it really took that long before I made the effort to seek a cure] every system that was plugged in had the same issue; varied from i3 550, i5 760, i5 4460, i5 4670 and an i7 860 tried all on-board sockets, and had various video cards plugged in - GT210, GTS 450, GTX 670, HD 6670, HD 6850 even an old GT9500...it just seems as though it is caused by the cable ot the screen...
Seeming you have swapped out the CPU's (iGPUs) and GPU's and cables you just need to test any of those units with the same cable on any other monitor and achieve a higher resolution then you have isolated it to the DVI Input on the monitor itself.
Old 10th September 2017, 10:37 PM   #5
magius

Given the extensive amount of testing, it does sound like the dvi input on your monitor is the one that is not working.

if you really wanted to confirm though, since you know the vga cable works, if you have a vga to dvi adapter, you could try that on your dvi input on the monitor with the vga cable and see how it goes.
magius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 2:21 AM   #6
ibace Thread Starter

Thanks for that; will give it a go...