Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Old 11th September 2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Spork! Thread Starter

Default LGA 1366 with issues.

My son's Rampage III Extreme PC has stopped working.
Have narrowed it down to either MB or CPU.
I don't have a spare CPU to suit that platform so I'll need to buy one.
Don't want to spend too much $$$ just for testing.

The xeon CPUs can be had quite a bit cheaper than the i7 9xx series.
Are these fully compatible with this MB?
Any disadvantages to using one of these for troubleshooting, or even long term if it does work?

Also - out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what the alpha prefix on that range of xeons means?
"e", "l", "w" and "x"?

Lastly - if anyone in Launceston reads this, and has a suitable CPU we could borrow for testing, that would be awesome!

TIA.
MB: Maximus VII Ranger. CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.588 RAM: 4x4gb Ripjaws @ 2448mHz c10. PSU: EVGA G2 850. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armour Cooling: Phanteks TH-TC14PE Drives: 2 x SSD and a 2TB mech for storage. Monitor:Samsung S34EC790C
Spork! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Bold Eagle

How did he isolate to either of those two?

Ask him to have a sniff at the PSU - any oxidised/burnt smell?

Here is the supported CPU list:
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards.../HelpDesk_CPU/
Old 11th September 2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Spork! Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
How did he isolate to either of those two?

Ask him to have a sniff at the PSU - any oxidised/burnt smell?

Here is the supported CPU list:
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards.../HelpDesk_CPU/
Thanks BE.
His "techie" mate has been helping him. He tells me they tried removing all but one stick of RAM, and tried a few different single sticks in different slots.
They tried with a different GPU (which worked both before and afterwards in a different system).
The PSU isn't all that old, original one was replaced a couple of years ago when it died and took a GPU with it, but I have asked him to give it the sniff test.

EDIT: Bugger. Can't see xeons on that list. That puts the price of replacing CPU up a bit.
MB: Maximus VII Ranger. CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.588 RAM: 4x4gb Ripjaws @ 2448mHz c10. PSU: EVGA G2 850. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armour Cooling: Phanteks TH-TC14PE Drives: 2 x SSD and a 2TB mech for storage. Monitor:Samsung S34EC790C
Old 11th September 2017, 1:02 PM   #4
Bold Eagle

It would be close to - do you spend more on the same system or bite the bullet and upgrade.

Is the system booting at all - hanging at BIOS?

Here are 3 suitable CPU's for under $40 delivered (I wouldn't spend any more than that), but there is a risk they may have something wrong at least you could then put in a faulty product claim with ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Cor...EAAOSwCCVZqSi3

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Cor...kAAOSwM6NZs0so

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Cor...wAAOSwxXBZeD90

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 11th September 2017 at 1:04 PM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 1:25 PM   #5
Spork! Thread Starter

He says it spins the fans up then shows a boot error on MB LED.
Old 11th September 2017, 1:43 PM   #6
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork! View Post
He says it spins the fans up then shows a boot error on MB LED.
I would be asking for the specific code - I would not be confident at their analysis with the complete lack of specific info on the issue.

That is a very high end mobo and gives specific codes for the different errors.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ebug-LED-Codes

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 11th September 2017 at 1:46 PM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 2:17 PM   #7
cvidler

Quote:
The xeon CPUs can be had quite a bit cheaper than the i7 9xx series.
Are these fully compatible with this MB?
Any disadvantages to using one of these for troubleshooting, or even long term if it does work?

Also - out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what the alpha prefix on that range of xeons means?
"e", "l", "w" and "x"?
Xeons will work fine, but they won't be on the compata i lity list, because well the manufacture isn't going to spend the time/money to test server CPUs in a PC board. Same as you wouldn't see i7 CPUs listed as compatible on the server boards.

For testing purposes the letter suffixes don't matter for you.
L is for low power parts (usually have low core freqs, and/or limited core counts).
X are the high performance parts (optimised for core speed)
W are 'workstation' parts (pretty much just an equivalent i7 part)
E are mainstream server parts (trying to balance cores,speed,power,price)
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 6:22 PM   #8
ae00711

I have a spare xeon W3520 - would definitely work in that mobo, but I'm in 7116

ae00711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 7:50 PM   #9
Matthew kane

There are LED and code indicators on the R3E that will tell you what problem you may be dealing with and will be indicative to what you might need to replace with.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 12:12 AM   #10
Spork! Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys.

A member has kindly offered to loan me a i7 920 to test with, so will see how that goes.

@ Bold eagle - I know later ROG boards have the handy 2 digit LED display for debug codes, but I don't think the III series has them. (I think it does have LED's and probably a "beep code" - not sure if his case has a speaker connected or not though).
I will have a close look at the board and see what it's doing, but he recently moved to another town so I'd like to go with at least a spare CPU to test. I can also take a PSU and GPU. It seems highly unlikely all 6 sticks of RAM would have died, so that should cover all the troubleshooting bases.

@ cvidler - I thought Xeons were compatible. That explains why they aren't on the list. Thanks for the prefix explanation too - I had guessed the W and X, but didn't have a clue whet the other 2 were.

@ ae00711 - Nice part of the world, but a fair hike! Thanks anyway, but have test CPU sorted.

@ Matthew kane - I will need to go out and see for myself, and take a working laptop with me so I can find out what any codes / beeps etc. it shows translate to. Hope to get it all sorted in one trip.

Long shot - but do CMOS batteries die while still being used frequently? Would it be worth taking one with me? Would be awesome if a flat battery was his only problem! The one in this MB must be 6 - 7 years old by now.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:12 AM   #11
cvidler

Quote:
Long shot - but do CMOS batteries die while still being used frequently? Would it be worth taking one with me? Would be awesome if a flat battery was his only problem! The one in this MB must be 6 - 7 years old by now.
Yeah, they're just lithium coin cells, they'll die with time. Been forever (decades) since rechargeable batteries were used on motherboards.
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 3:59 PM   #12
mr_mordred2095

It should still post with a flat/no CMOS battery.
mr_mordred2095 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 4:12 PM   #13
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mordred2095 View Post
It should still post with a flat/no CMOS battery.
Agree - just the system date/time and settings will be at defaults.
Old 12th September 2017, 4:38 PM   #14
Radiactor

As others have said, a Xeon CPU works fine.

The R3E has several boot debug LED's (CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT_DEVICE) next to the 24pin power connector that cycle through bottom to top during boot to indicate the current Boot/POST operation. This may give a idea where the problem is.

Check that everything is correctly connected/seated.
If testing with a single stick of RAM, ensure it's in the slot marked A1 (red slot closest to CPU socket).
If the CPU has been removed recently, check for bent pins in the socket (they are easy to damage).

This board has dual BIOS chips. There is a BIOS toggle button at the bottom right corner (below the SATA ports). There's a LED to indicate which chip is currently selected. I would suggest switching to the other BIOS chip and see if this gets it to POST (rule out a corrupted bios or setting).

If it does POST on the other bios, switch back again and clear the CMOS (IIRC each BIOS saves settings/can be reset independently).
This board has a CMOS reset button (refresh icon) on the back IO panel.

Last edited by Radiactor; 12th September 2017 at 4:44 PM.
Radiactor is offline   Reply With Quote