Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Old 5th September 2017, 8:04 AM   #8941
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Damn I like that. Nice. Where from, how much?

Weird, I'd never heard of the brand until I bought my current keyboard. Its a $50 Azio membrane RGB keyboard (with supersized lettering) that could be the nicest keyboard to type on that I've ever owned.

If mine is anything to go by, yours is a real pearl. Is it very loud? Nice and fast to use?
I'd have to say It's the best keyboard I've used
It has proprietary blue switches, feels very good and the overall quality is superb.
I bought it from PLE computers............https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6270...-Blue-Switches
Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 9:37 AM   #8942
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo-cc View Post
Has anyone come across a vendor who may have this part pack
Nobody would keep it in stock. Do you have a "good shop" you could ask whether they could get it in for you? Any shop with a decent turnover of corsair products should be able to get it from their rep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 9:39 AM   #8943
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
It has proprietary blue switches, feels very good and the overall quality is superb.
I bought it from PLE computers............https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6270...-Blue-Switches
Same place as mine.. 500m away ! I might check one out.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 9:39 AM   #8944
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
How is it to type on? Do you do a lot of straight typing? (The keys on a typewriter are not that close together.)
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
Old 5th September 2017, 2:07 PM   #8945
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
How is it to type on? Do you do a lot of straight typing? (The keys on a typewriter are not that close together.)
I'm not the quickest typer in the world but it feels great to me
Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 3:09 PM   #8946
sonicthemouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfoam View Post
Yeah it's too rich for me but the guy running it seems an absolute OCD nazi when it comes to getting it made to a high standard. Even then he's having trouble even finding a factory that can produce keys and springs he's happy with. Already hes had to get an aerospace quality spring from the USA. I only have one Model M but how many model Ms does one need.. I've had mine nearly 20 years and it shows no signs of failing anytime soon. I did find a model F in a OP shop for like 2 dollars once and couldn't get it to work so I threw it out. However I THINK I kept about half the keys just because I don't know why.. so maybe it's not a total loss. Assuming I find the bag of keys one day :P. I'll probably get a spare model M soon as the prices seem to be on the up a bit quick right now and I don't want to miss the boat. Model F's are already out of my price range. I have a 1991 Wang 724 (725-3770-US) with Salmon alps switches, it was great back in the day, needs a bit of a clean now though, not as smooth as it once was.
Don't tell me he's OCD about quality & stuff like that, I like my money (or lack thereof) where it is in my account

Me when I read this thread: I have enough keyboards I have enough keyboards I have enough keyboards I have... ordered another keyboard?! Again?! How did this happen

But still going to give this one a miss.

If you do need a Model M in future, flick me a PM. One of mine is missing a few keycaps but the spares you have from that op shop F might do it (they do vary slightly from year to year in terms of font etc but can be a pretty close match). I'm not selling any of mine as such but if another enthusiast needs one, I don't really need all the ones I've got.

Also, I'm hoping you tested the op shop Model F on an XT protocol? They ain't AT

(there are people in the "younger generation" that don't know these things, but then again if you've had your M for 20 years, I'm sure you're aware of all that )

i7-5930K | AsRock X99M | 16gb Corsair Dom Plat 3000 | 512gb PM951 NVMe | EVGA GTX770 | Seasonic Platinum 1000W | Define Mini C | 2407WFP | Ducky Pro G2 | Logitech G5v2
sonicthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 6:30 PM   #8947
elfoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicthemouse View Post
Don't tell me he's OCD about quality & stuff like that, I like my money (or lack thereof) where it is in my account

Me when I read this thread: I have enough keyboards I have enough keyboards I have enough keyboards I have... ordered another keyboard?! Again?! How did this happen

But still going to give this one a miss.

If you do need a Model M in future, flick me a PM. One of mine is missing a few keycaps but the spares you have from that op shop F might do it (they do vary slightly from year to year in terms of font etc but can be a pretty close match). I'm not selling any of mine as such but if another enthusiast needs one, I don't really need all the ones I've got.

Also, I'm hoping you tested the op shop Model F on an XT protocol? They ain't AT
Think I plugged it into my Pentium Pro 200, nothing happened so that as the end of that :P. How do you get them to run? Anyway that was like 15 years ago when they were 2 dollar keyboards, no big loss .
elfoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 12:43 AM   #8948
sonicthemouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfoam View Post
Think I plugged it into my Pentium Pro 200, nothing happened so that as the end of that :P. How do you get them to run? Anyway that was like 15 years ago when they were 2 dollar keyboards, no big loss .
Ah. Yeah. Pentium Pro is waaay too new to run a Model F. That's a shame

Still as you said, no big loss for $2. (Although I wouldn't mind buying a handful for $2 ea now lol )

To run it you need to go back to an XT or XT clone system. Think IBM Model 5150 (IBM PC), IBM Model 5160 (IBM PC XT) or similar. Green and black CRT screen, DOS 3, that kind of thing. If the machine could run Windows (even Win 3.1), chances are it's too new to natively run a Model F.

You can of course run them on newer PCs but you need adaptors.

Many old old keyboards had a little switch on the bottom that let you switch between AT and XT mode too

i7-5930K | AsRock X99M | 16gb Corsair Dom Plat 3000 | 512gb PM951 NVMe | EVGA GTX770 | Seasonic Platinum 1000W | Define Mini C | 2407WFP | Ducky Pro G2 | Logitech G5v2
sonicthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 12:43 PM   #8949
davo-cc

Quote:
Nobody would keep it in stock. Do you have a "good shop" you could ask whether they could get it in for you? Any shop with a decent turnover of corsair products should be able to get it from their rep.
Thanks Broccoli, I did try quite a few stores and Corsair themselves - both directly and through their facebook PR people, I've tried a number of vendors in Europe (I'm in the UK now) including several on the continent. There were some Swedish, German and Finnish sites that claimed to have a kit but they were always sold out and only ever had one in stock - it's an item that Corsair doesn't seem bothered to stock nor to ship to anyone.
Some vendors said they'd tried to get them but apparently Corsair only bother to produce the kit (which has a part number and is formally in their inventory) when they have spare parts from a production run; it means basically that if you buy Corsair you're stuck with without parts and are in a throw-away proposition if anything goes wrong. Wonderful considering I paid $200USD for this thing to get it in from the US. I liked much about the unit but I can't go with a brand that has zero support like this, it's reminiscent of Deck (who also abandon users and refuse to sell catalogue parts).
davo-cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 12:49 PM   #8950
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo-cc View Post
it means basically that if you buy Corsair you're stuck with without parts and are in a throw-away proposition if anything goes wrong. Wonderful considering I paid $200USD for this thing to get it in from the US. I liked much about the unit but I can't go with a brand that has zero support like this, it's reminiscent of Deck (who also abandon users and refuse to sell catalogue parts).
I've only heard of Deck in relation to keyboards, but Corsair sells LOTS of stuff. You'd think they'd want to maintain good customer relations/reputation. They probably think that the number of keyboard users/keyboard users who need new feet is low, but I (and others on computer sites) read what you say, and I'll think twice about buying that case, or that cooler or whatever. I can't be bothered with any company that tells you to piss off once they've got money off you. It'll only ever be the one lot of money a company gets off me, when I come across this sort of crap.

Oh, you might try asking for some feet. Some people don't raise their keyboards and might be prepared to let you have theirs. I gave away the wrist thingie on one of my (former) keyboards.
Quote:
Old 7th September 2017, 10:04 AM   #8951
davo-cc

Quote:
I've only heard of Deck in relation to keyboards, but Corsair sells LOTS of stuff. You'd think they'd want to maintain good customer relations/reputation. They probably think that the number of keyboard users/keyboard users who need new feet is low, but I (and others on computer sites) read what you say, and I'll think twice about buying that case, or that cooler or whatever. I can't be bothered with any company that tells you to piss off once they've got money off you. It'll only ever be the one lot of money a company gets off me, when I come across this sort of crap.

Oh, you might try asking for some feet. Some people don't raise their keyboards and might be prepared to let you have theirs. I gave away the wrist thingie on one of my (former) keyboards.
Thanks, Deck were woeful - I also needed feet as they snapped and they said Ihad to buy a plastics kit - the entire case - for 20 usd but they wouldn't sell it to me, only a resller who refused to sell it unless I also bought 100 usd worth of other stuff (this is without postage too). Deck was woeful, Ihad spent over 500 aud on their keyboards - never again ever.
davo-cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 6:45 PM   #8952
Nitephyre

So I haven't had any success so far with fixing my '94 M spacebar ghosting. I'm reluctant to go nuts on it and check the membrane as all the rivets are still intact

Unfortunately I can't test if it's the controller because the M that brought you this post is an '88 IBM and the other one is a Lexmark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmagga View Post
There aren't too many things you can cuddle and BBQ
Nitephyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 2:04 PM   #8953
vladtepes

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a CHEAP mechanical keyboard with the following features.

- Cherry MX Blue switches (or copy thereof)
- TKL / 87 key layout (ideally)

What I DON'T need or want
- LED backlighting
- Additional / Macro keys
- Numerical keypad

Why? Well, I'm looking for a keyboard that I can "steampunk". I have some cherry mx style keycaps that I can harvest the stems from so that's why I need an mx-switch style keyboard.

To fit in with the 'typewriter' vibe I suspect blue switches are the best option.
It will be a Linux computer so it won't be for any fancy gaming.

I have done some googling but most of the recommendations are on US websites. One of the recommended models was the Redragon K552-M KUMARA @ USD$30 (I think this had no LED backlighting)
Unfortunately ebay tells me that the Redragon K552 KUMARA(with LED backlighting) is $95. More than I'd hoped to spend.

Looking to see what is available inexpensively on ebay shows the Redragon K561
@ $57 but it has horrible LED's...

Anyway I am hoping that some of you mech keyboard warriors have some suggestions for me. Obviously I don't need new either, a working 2nmd hand one would be perfectly fine.

Thanks for your help

Members willing to do pickups for other members

successful trades: see profile.
vladtepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 10:16 PM   #8954
elfoam

These are supposed to be pretty good, they have LED's but I assume you can turn them off, the silver one looks pretty good, there's reviews of them on youtube. Cheap enough anyway https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Prof...999.383.ya3il5
elfoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 4:44 PM   #8955
vladtepes

Those AZIO keyboards are nice - but I'd much prefer a gold one for a more 'steampunk' aesthetic. And they only see to do silver/black versions like the one you pictured.

elfoam - thanks I'll have a look.

Members willing to do pickups for other members

successful trades: see profile.
vladtepes is offline   Reply With Quote