Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Old 13th September 2017, 6:34 PM   #1
shiatzu_kiora Thread Starter

Default Game crashes - new system

Hey everyone, (LONG POST INC)

I'm posting here as somewhat of a last resort. I'm no slouch when it comes to diagnosing/reverse engineering faults, but this last lot has me completely stumped.

Essentially my problem is related solely to gaming. I can utilise my PC for hours on end with no issues, but i'll load up a game and it'll crash within minutes, repeatedly. This seems to have progressively gotten worse. The errors are random, sometimes the game stops with the last half a second of audio repeating itself, other times the game dies and produces a crash reporter, other times it's been a BSOD (This used to be "memory management" but changed after i got my new RAM to be "critical structure corruption")

Now there is some history with my PC. Its a new build from 1 year ago. I had issues from the get-go, and after a few months i RMA'd my motherboad.
That didn't resolve the BSOD's i was having, so i RMA'd my RAM about 3 months ago.

That slowed the BSOD's, but games kept crashing.
Windows is installed on a nvme (m.2) drive and i have a partition for my games *the games that are crashing are on this drive*.

So i figure there's an issue with the drive/partition and move my games to my mechanical HDD, and i THOUGHT it resolved it, so i formatted my windows/game drive and reloaded some games.

No bueno. I'm crashing quicker than ever. So i delete the games off the SSD again, put them onto the HDD, still no dice, constant crashes.

My system;
Intel i7 6800k
32gb corsair ram (was rma'd)
samsung 950 nvme SSD
WD black 3TB HDD
2x MSI GamingX 1080's
MSI x99A Godlike gaming carbon

Things i've done to rectify;

RMA'd ram
Turned off SLI, Turned on SLI.
Removed one 1080 completely from system - swapped in other 1080
Updated all motherboard drivers and bios to latest
Updated to latest graphics drivers (also used an old graphics driver after wiping the old install, no difference) - do NOT use geforce experience
Turned off norton antivirus, turned on norton antivirus
Formatted SSD with new windows and games partition
EDIT: i have also kept an eye on temps. GPU's don't go above 50 and CPU is under 45 constantly

Is there anything i can do to try and fix this issue? Is there anything i can install to check why a program is crashing???
Any help is appreciated....

UPDATE: SOLVED - F***ING ANTIVIRUS!!!!!!

Corsair Obsidian 750D | i7 6800K | Corsair H115i | MSI X99A Gaming Godlike Carbon | Samsung 950Pro 512MB | 2x MSI Gaming X 1080 | Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB @ 3400MHz | Corsair AX860i PSU | BenQ XL2720Z | Thermaltake Black V2 Mouse | Thermaltake Challenger Keyboard | MSI DS502 Gaming Headset

Last edited by shiatzu_kiora; 14th September 2017 at 7:33 PM.
shiatzu_kiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 7:04 PM   #2
Radiactor

Any overclocks on CPU, GPU or RAM? If yes, revert to default and see if there's any change.

But, my money is on PSU.

Do you have a spare one/see if you can borrow one to test?

I had a pretty much identical issue a few years ago with a new X58 build. Only difference was that sometimes I could get a few hours of gameplay in before it would occur.

Replaced/upgraded every component apart from PSU (a Corsair HX1000) over the next year or so and the issue persisted. Finally cracked the sh*ts and bought a new PSU and problem gone.

RMA'd the faulty PSU and got a brand new replacement so their testing must have found the fault too.
Old 13th September 2017, 7:25 PM   #3
combatant3219

My bet is with PSU too. You didn't mention what model or how many watts etc but if it's the AX860i it should be enough.

What are you doing when it's not crashing? Is the PC under any load as it would be when gaming or just pretty idle stuff like web browsing etc? Just curious because if you run some benchmarks or put it under load you might get the same result.

Recommend trying a different PSU though.
combatant3219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 7:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiactor View Post
Any overclocks on CPU, GPU or RAM?
None

Quote:
But, my money is on PSU.

Do you have a spare one/see if you can borrow one to test?
I don't have a spare, but I can take it to the local IT store and get it tested.

The only issue with it maybe being PSU, is that It doesn't happen to EVERY game, HOWEVER, the games that it does crash on utilise the gpu's and the others don't so much...

Corsair Obsidian 750D | i7 6800K | Corsair H115i | MSI X99A Gaming Godlike Carbon | Samsung 950Pro 512MB | 2x MSI Gaming X 1080 | Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB @ 3400MHz | Corsair AX860i PSU | BenQ XL2720Z | Thermaltake Black V2 Mouse | Thermaltake Challenger Keyboard | MSI DS502 Gaming Headset
Old 13th September 2017, 7:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatant3219 View Post
You didn't mention what model or how many watts etc but if it's the AX860i it should be enough.
Yes, it's the one in my sig, AX860i

Quote:
What are you doing when it's not crashing? Is the PC under any load as it would be when gaming or just pretty idle stuff like web browsing etc?
Just web browsing, word docs etc.
Quote:

Just curious because if you run some benchmarks or put it under load you might get the same result.
Any specifics? Last time i ran benches it was 3dmark or something similar about 10 years ago.

Old 13th September 2017, 7:56 PM   #6

Quote:
But, my money is on PSU.
Was just thinking more about this, whilst I'm running some benchmarks, would the problem persist even though i'm only using one GPU now?

Old 14th September 2017, 11:08 AM   #7
nCrypt

id bet PSU

i had a similiar issue, with just one game, overwatch.

would crash in game, but perfect otherwise, ending up being my PSU

couldnt handle 1080 ti SLI, and it was a 1000w platinum seasonic.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:43 PM   #8
im late

GPUs run in two modes. 2D or 3D (obviously).

So in 2D no issues (desktop work)

In 3D, crashes.

Install GPUz, then run the render test as that runs the GPUs in 3D mode and see if it crashes (most likely will)

But yeah need to try another PSU.
im late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 12:58 PM   #9

Well i think i may have found my issue, and it isn't the PSU.

It was Norton antivirus.

I guess when i disabled Norton earlier and was testing it, somehow i didn't disable it properly, or it doesn't "truly" disable itself.
But I've now uninstalled it and wiped it from existence, and VOILA, games are running perfectly again. Actually, maybe it's a placebo thing, but i think they are running BETTER than ever....

It was a legit copy of Norton too, no dodgy cracked business.

My god what an ordeal...

Old 14th September 2017, 1:39 PM   #10
miicah

Odd that it would be software related.

Same thing happened to me, only LoL would crash my system. Upgrade gfx card and problem went away.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 1:40 PM   #11
nCrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiatzu_kiora View Post
Well i think i may have found my issue, and it isn't the PSU.

It was Norton antivirus.

I guess when i disabled Norton earlier and was testing it, somehow i didn't disable it properly, or it doesn't "truly" disable itself.
But I've now uninstalled it and wiped it from existence, and VOILA, games are running perfectly again. Actually, maybe it's a placebo thing, but i think they are running BETTER than ever....

It was a legit copy of Norton too, no dodgy cracked business.

My god what an ordeal...
norton, haha, sorry, had too laugh!

glad you found the issue.
Old 14th September 2017, 3:02 PM   #12
im late

The real problem here is that the words legit and software are been referenced with Norton Antivirus.

I can think of two other "opposite ends of the earth" words which are highly more accurate....

But I will keep this thread kid friendly....
im late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 7:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by im late View Post
The real problem here is that the words legit and software are been referenced with Norton Antivirus.
I understand peoples' trepidation with antivirus software, but unfortunately i purchased a 3 install package as my wife's work-from-home computer requires some antivirus on it as part of her work agreement (and there's a short list of what she can use).

I figured it was a fairly well-known antivirus and should be fine, oh how wrong i was.
I have spent months attempting to diagnose if it was hardware or software. So annoyed but relieved.

Also, i'm now 99% sure the antivirus was the culprit, spent hours gaming today on my PC on the two games i was having most issues with, without any dramas.