Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Old 5th October 2017, 9:01 PM   #1
[KEi]SoVeReIgN Thread Starter

Default What's your company's Apple/Mac situation?

Curious to hear from those in the game, especially in big enterprise. Some companies seem to have fully embraced Macs as a supported device, others have tried and failed and some aren't interested at all - What's your situation?

Fully support Macs for particular roles?
Complete choose your own device program (Ala IBM)?
BYOD?
iPhones a standard but no Macs?
Developers or marketing have them unsupported and no one speaks of it?
Execs have them and IT hates it?
Attempted to integrate them and failed?

Common stumbling blocks I've heard having had this discussion with a few people... (but I'm curious to hear more or how common these are.)

- Cost
- Hardware support from Apple lacking
- IT skills lacking
- No enterprise grade deployment tools
- Not possible to adhere to security policy
- OS X can't deliver the hardened security environment windows can
- Too many windows apps in environment
- Citrix/RDP for aforementioned windows apps is garbage
- 802.11x integration issues (AD certs, SCEP etc)
- Network drive/DFS integration issues
- AD Integration issues

I might be bullish on it, but I think we're heading to a completely device and infrastructure agnostic world and it's only a matter of time before the expectation is people are given whatever device they're most comfortable (read: efficient) on. If companies don't get in-front of it they might be left behind.

Last edited by [KEi]SoVeReIgN; 5th October 2017 at 9:07 PM.
[KEi]SoVeReIgN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 1:47 PM   #2
Dazatwrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KEi]SoVeReIgN View Post
Curious to hear from those in the game, especially in big enterprise. Some companies seem to have fully embraced Macs as a supported device, others have tried and failed and some aren't interested at all - What's your situation?

Fully support Macs for particular roles?
Complete choose your own device program (Ala IBM)?
BYOD?
iPhones a standard but no Macs?
Developers or marketing have them unsupported and no one speaks of it?
Execs have them and IT hates it?
Attempted to integrate them and failed?

Common stumbling blocks I've heard having had this discussion with a few people... (but I'm curious to hear more or how common these are.)

- Cost
- Hardware support from Apple lacking
- IT skills lacking
- No enterprise grade deployment tools
- Not possible to adhere to security policy
- OS X can't deliver the hardened security environment windows can
- Too many windows apps in environment
- Citrix/RDP for aforementioned windows apps is garbage
- 802.11x integration issues (AD certs, SCEP etc)
- Network drive/DFS integration issues
- AD Integration issues

I might be bullish on it, but I think we're heading to a completely device and infrastructure agnostic world and it's only a matter of time before the expectation is people are given whatever device they're most comfortable (read: efficient) on. If companies don't get in-front of it they might be left behind.
Its all a non-issue. Apple's pricing will ensure that IT will never have to deal with Apple on a large scale. When it comes to the business market, anything Apple does can be done cheaper by someone else.
Dazatwrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 3:00 PM   #3
NSanity

eh. Its not so much the pricing thats the problem - its the lifecycle and support of devices.

If I buy 1000 dell's, Dell will look after me, the devices, etc, etc. A Dell tech will come and swap mainboards and whatever - globally - if i require.

If I buy 1000 mac's, I'm a fucken retard. Because I need to buy another 100 just to keep the 1000 happy happs.

From the Software management side - Caspar/JAMF is your go to. But $$$$.
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 3:08 PM   #4
kbekus

Quote:
I think we're heading to a completely device and infrastructure agnostic world and it's only a matter of time before the expectation is people are given whatever device they're most comfortable (read: efficient) on.
I've been hearing this for so long I file it alongside the expectation that we're going paperless any day now.
kbekus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 3:10 PM   #5
bcann

Haven't seen a MAC in a corporate that i've worked for in a LONG LONG time.

In fact the last time i saw a Mac was in the Crayon Eater Department for a design/print company ... wow easy 7+ years ago.

Admittedly i don't generally do work or have been outsourced for the creative types, but even in areas where i have worked that are graphics heavy (Read CAD/CAM) its always been without exception been a PC Dominated world.

Having said that i can sell you a guaranteed solution to fix any MAC problem for about 50c a round or $1.50 for a slug... It makes a lot of noise and the creative types tend to cry after woods, but its very effective.

Last few times i went to the kids schools, even they don't have so many Macs as when i was a kid.

Quote:
Read my BYOD thread on the BE & C Thread to see why this will never happen.
bcann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 4:02 PM   #6
Gunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[KEi
Yeah that'll never happen. LoB apps, uniformity, support and reliability will always be the driving force behind this.

You will see users skill sets start to drop though as user are getting used to phones and tablets, then step into a world of desktops and struggle.
Gunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 4:15 PM   #7
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Yeah that'll never happen. LoB apps, uniformity, support and reliability will always be the driving force behind this.

You will see users skill sets start to drop though as user are getting used to phones and tablets, then step into a world of desktops and struggle.
Agreed.

BYOD is turning around - because people have had a cycle or two of it and realised that you have the same problems, people are still - on average - lazy shitlords, more importantly you have to do with 29438762986 more hardware configurations, most of which cheap pieces of shit, to support people with non business/enterprise grade support arrangements.

If you can do your job from a web browser - sure that's another thing entirely, but most can't.
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 3:31 PM   #8
chip

Worst thing about working with Apple Macs is that I'm a colossal pedant who is triggered badly when people capitalise the name. It's an abbreviation of Macintosh, not an blasted acronym, and yes, I will interrupt the meeting to point that out.

As for deploying software/OSes, Munki+AutoPkgr and Deploystudio work well enough for it not to be a hassle. For config management, MacOS Server and SCCM are good enough that we don't need to shovel cash onto the Jamf money fire. Lacking AMT puts them behind the Wintel alternatives for managing the fleet hardware when on-premises.

We're relatively comfortable with MacOS security. If an org has that staff to manage the above, then they should be able to sort out security and patching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazatwrk View Post
Its all a non-issue. Apple's pricing will ensure that IT will never have to deal with Apple on a large scale. When it comes to the business market, anything Apple does can be done cheaper by someone else.
This is my experience too, on the hardware purchase cost side of things. Dell & HP will give us machines with equivalent physical and technical specs to MBPs, but more than 20% cheaper once we include 3 year on-site warranty, new dongles/chargers with each new generation of Macbooks etc etc. And that's with Apple's 'special' pricing for our sector. Little things like like Apple patenting magsafe to USB-C adapters and then not selling any are just the icing on the shitcake when you compare it to being able to use 10 year old Dell AC adapters on Skylake-gen laptops.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 3:44 PM   #9
ipv6ready

4500 Staff

The few people using Mac, only support provided Citrix Remote Desktop.
All other users can be on local.

Shit goes wrong with Mac reimage....

All other Dells get much better support.

iphone / iPad get PDF exchange information

For sale in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II

Last edited by ipv6ready; 15th October 2017 at 3:48 PM.
ipv6ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 3:46 PM   #10
[KEi]SoVeReIgN Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazatwrk View Post
There is an alternative argument being made by some big players.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...6-10?r=US&IR=T

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...money-ibm.html
[KEi]SoVeReIgN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 3:46 PM   #11
ipv6ready

As for above, CIT / CTO / COO have been told not to waste time on MAC support.

For sale in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II
ipv6ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 4:12 PM   #12
Dr Kildare
Medic!

Our fleet is now roughly 1/3 MacOS (~300)

Most staff have a choice of a MBA, Surface or X1 inline with refresh every 3 years. Developers / UX are all MBPs

Have been using Jamf Pro (Casper) for a number of years now.

Few challenges early on but overall there are very few applications in our environment that require Windows these days.
Old 15th October 2017, 4:26 PM   #13
zeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kildare View Post
Our fleet is now roughly 1/3 MacOS (~300)

Most staff have a choice of a MBA, Surface or X1 inline with refresh every 3 years. Developers / UX are all MBPs

Have been using Jamf Pro (Casper) for a number of years now.

Few challenges early on but overall there are very few applications in our environment that require Windows these days.
What about AD/Group Policies etc?
zeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 6:16 PM   #14
Dr Kildare
Medic!

Where applicable we've aligned the Casper policies / configuration profiles with GPO / SCCM
Old 16th October 2017, 8:28 AM   #15
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kildare View Post
Where applicable we've aligned the Casper policies / configuration profiles with GPO / SCCM
Yeah Casper does a great job managing them.

Our Creative/Marketing department uses Macs, the only issue I have is connectivity for them sucks in terms of docks/monitors on Macbooks.

There are some decent looking docks coming it seems though, but there is nothing Apple makes compared to say a HP Laptop that has a great dock which takes dual monitors etc.