Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 13th October 2017, 1:59 PM   #5686
TaroT

ahem

https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-...et/version+1.0

where are you guys i feel all alone well not in the game score only got a little vega here but cpu scores just searching for the 4 and 8 core cpus....can't seem to find many if any...hmmm since this is the way gaming is moving that would be a shame

love the fact a threadripper took out top spot.
and at 4.1 gig
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2532312

oh and the 4 way cards only 4 entries and 3 of those are amd....
have fun with the little chips and dragging back software innovation a few decades
Old 13th October 2017, 2:03 PM   #5687
adamsleath

tell the likes of microsoft to tailor their software toward multicore optimisation.

once intel brings multicores into the mainstream, amd will need to lift its game in the ipc department and core clocks.

the points of difference between intel and amd products...what are they?

they are very similar 8086 64 bit instructions sets. (whatever that means )

what are the nitty gritty details of product differentiation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_populism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
That's just my opinion and no-one has to share it nor do I need to be converted.

Last edited by adamsleath; 13th October 2017 at 5:38 PM.
adamsleath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 2:24 PM   #5688
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
tell the likes of microsoft to taylor their software toward multicore optimisation.

once intel brings multicores into the mainstream, amd will need to lift its game in the ipc department and core clocks.

the points of difference between intel and amd products...what are they?

they are very similar 8086 64 bit instructions sets. (whatever that means )

what are the nitty gritty details of product differentiation?
exactly and intel if you believe teh rumours are releasing an 8 core mainstream CPU next year (icelake)

hence the reason why I think zen 2 will have to add moar cores as they still wont beable to compete on IPC and clockspeed.

I am surprised AMD have sold any ryzen systems with all these bugs

Last edited by Court Jester; 13th October 2017 at 2:31 PM.
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 2:30 PM   #5689
adamsleath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
exactly and intel if you believe teh rumours are releasing an 8 core mainstream CPU next year (icelake)

hence the reason why I think zen 2 will have to add moar cores as they still wont beable to compete on IPC and clockspeed.
for what purpose? adding more than 8 cores wont do squat for the mainstream. looks like currently they need 8 cores to match 6 cores in intel multicore.

next: a 12 core amd and an 8 core intel....then a 16 core amd vs a 12 core intel ....and a continued difference in ipc and clockspeed.

5.0ghz. yet to see ghz limits on 10nm. dont know how high that will go. amd need to increase ipc and clocks or they will lag further and further behind.

still too many programs are not written for multi-threads.

Quote:
That's just my opinion and no-one has to share it nor do I need to be converted.

Last edited by adamsleath; 13th October 2017 at 2:36 PM.
Old 13th October 2017, 2:32 PM   #5690
dirkmirk

Would it be crazy to buy a Ryzen R3 1200 and overclock to 4GHZ to game at 2560X1440?

Looks like you could buy a board for around $120 and the CPU for $140 for a total of $260, thinking aloud cheap entry to Ryzen and spend more on the GPU, upgrade the CPU in a year or 2.

Only got me thinking because of how well the Intel G4560 does in games(for what it is) and thats a dual core part, atmittingly a cheaper CPU but the R3 1200 has 4 cores so its gotta count for something...

Last edited by dirkmirk; 13th October 2017 at 2:35 PM.
dirkmirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 2:52 PM   #5691
aussie-revhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroT View Post

love the fact a threadripper took out top spot.
and at 4.1 gig
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2532312
Did you happen to compare cpu scores? I know 7980XE is a dear mofo cpu but it destroys TR for physics ... ie 50% higher ... (twice the price I know ...)

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2532132

There is a 7900X physics score that is pretty close to that TR score.

Bench 1- Asus Rampage 5 Extreme - Intel 5960x - 32gb of 3200c16 DDR4- 1x Galax GTX1080 Ti HOF - Samsung 960 Evo + Intel 600P m.2 512GB - Enermax Revo1250 - water cooled tech bench - QNIX 2560x1440 screen @ 100Hz - Aten 120Hz KVM
Netbox - Dell 990 SFF - 2500 - 16GB ram - gtx750Ti - 240GB SSD - 2TB green
Current vehicles- Black 2007 ZX14 - VE V8 Calais (wifes car) - VN SS (for sale)
aussie-revhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 3:21 PM   #5692
Sgt Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmirk View Post
Would it be crazy to buy a Ryzen R3 1200 and overclock to 4GHZ to game at 2560X1440?

Looks like you could buy a board for around $120 and the CPU for $140 for a total of $260, thinking aloud cheap entry to Ryzen and spend more on the GPU, upgrade the CPU in a year or 2.

Only got me thinking because of how well the Intel G4560 does in games(for what it is) and thats a dual core part, atmittingly a cheaper CPU but the R3 1200 has 4 cores so its gotta count for something...
Ryzen 3 is better overall: https://www.techspot.com/review/1463...ing/page2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
Did you happen to compare cpu scores? I know 7980XE is a dear mofo cpu but it destroys TR for physics ... ie 50% higher ... (twice the price I know ...)

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2532132

There is a 7900X physics score that is pretty close to that TR score.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/2520983/spy/2520761#

4.2Ghz vs 4.2Ghz

Comments are my own unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by Sgt Bilko; 13th October 2017 at 4:04 PM.
Sgt Bilko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 4:28 PM   #5693
dirkmirk

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/...50K/page5.html

A fair comparison for budget systems would be the i3 8100 which is a good cpu hampered by expensive motherboards, quick look on statice suggests around $370 for the mothboard + CPU ($200+$170).

It's hardly an upgrade but I was given an ASRock Z77 extreme4 motherboard and looks like people are still paying good money for these on ebay, thinking about selling that for $150 maybe get another $50-$70 for the 8gig DDR3 + i5 2400, could then upgrade to Ryzen + 8gig ddr4 for an extra $130 odd, seems a waste to hang onto a good older motherboard when I'll never use SLI.
Old 13th October 2017, 4:31 PM   #5694
Sgt Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmirk View Post
https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/...50K/page5.html

A fair comparison for budget systems would be the i3 8100 which is a good cpu hampered by expensive motherboards, quick look on statice suggests around $370 for the mothboard + CPU ($200+$170).

It's hardly an upgrade but I was given an ASRock Z77 extreme4 motherboard and looks like people are still paying good money for these on ebay, thinking about selling that for $150 maybe get another $50-$70 for the 8gig DDR3 + i5 2400, could then upgrade to Ryzen + 8gig ddr4 for an extra $130 odd, seems a waste to hang onto a good older motherboard when I'll never use SLI.
Sounds like you've already got it planned out then

Old 13th October 2017, 5:00 PM   #5695
dirkmirk

Yeah I do.

The "logical" thing might be to buy a used 3570K overclock that to 4.5ghz but it's older hardware motherboard could cark it and it's nice to buy new things.

If I can be completely honest I'm an AMD fanboy and it's not all about the most performance, Ive always gone for the underdog.

Thinking of buying budget DDR4 and could sell the CPU & memory and upgrade to better stuff later on, Ive always bought cheap and upgraded later on just the way I do things, don't keep up with the Jones('s) when it comes to computers.
Old 13th October 2017, 5:33 PM   #5696
dirtyd

Quote:

I don't think you actually understand the economics of semiconductors. AMD don't have to compete on raw IPC and clock speed. They only need to be there or thereabouts, they can undercut on price because their margins don't have to be anywhere near as high, because they don't need to fund the next fab upgrade, and fab costs at these new nodes are getting outrageous.

To be honest, if AMD actually had an IPC lead, it would be a miracle, given the difference in R&D budgets, and it would really make Intel look pretty poorly managed. The fact that they are even competitive in perf/W is pretty amazing.

In the server market with EPYC right now, Intel have been caught with their pants down, it is looking like it will be a bloodbath. The "glued together cores" comment on an official slide is an indication of how desperately they are clutching at straws. Ultimately they probably have no choice but to react like last time AMD were competitive (basically pay customers to not buy AMD), the only question will be: can they get away with it again?
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 5:49 PM   #5697
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
I don't think you actually understand the economics of semiconductors. AMD don't have to compete on raw IPC and clock speed. They only need to be there or thereabouts, they can undercut on price because their margins don't have to be anywhere near as high, because they don't need to fund the next fab upgrade, and fab costs at these new nodes are getting outrageous.

To be honest, if AMD actually had an IPC lead, it would be a miracle, given the difference in R&D budgets, and it would really make Intel look pretty poorly managed. The fact that they are even competitive in perf/W is pretty amazing.

In the server market with EPYC right now, Intel have been caught with their pants down, it is looking like it will be a bloodbath. The "glued together cores" comment on an official slide is an indication of how desperately they are clutching at straws. Ultimately they probably have no choice but to react like last time AMD were competitive (basically pay customers to not buy AMD), the only question will be: can they get away with it again?

eypc wont sell intel have parts with many more cores still and better performance on a proven reliable platform

no company worth a damn will take a risk on eypc considering the amount of bugs / issues ryzen had and continues to have.
Old 13th October 2017, 5:55 PM   #5698
Sgt Bilko

Quote:
eypc wont sell intel have parts with many more cores still and better performance on a proven reliable platform

no company worth a damn will take a risk on eypc considering the amount of bugs / issues ryzen had and continues to have.
*cough* *cough*

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-relea...2017aug23.aspx

https://blog.dellemc.com/en-us/power...yc-processors/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick.../#51895db9798a

Old 13th October 2017, 5:59 PM   #5699
adamsleath

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleas...tencent-and-jd

EPYC

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2017/08...kstation-cpus/

Quote:
Overall Intel’s Xeon-W launch today shows exactly how deep a hole Intel is in. They are reacting to AMD’s every move but doing so late, ham-handedly, and with significantly inferior products at a significantly higher price. This is significant in case you didn’t catch it last sentence. With Epyc you get more cores, more performance per socket, more memory capacity, more PCIe lanes, and all for notably less money. Intel still wins, barely, on single threaded performance, something that has no place in the workstation market. In short Intel wins on nothing with the Xeon-W and SemiAccurate’s talks with large OEMs confirm this is reflected in sales figures. AMD wins this round, Intel didn’t even show up to fight.

https://www.psychz.net/client/blog/f...tel--xeon.html

Quote:
Performance

AMD’s FPU performance is surprisingly excellent compared with Intel. There are several reasons for this, but a number of them come down to various aspects of AVX and its impact on turbo clocks. For the last few product cycles, Intel has publicly stated that its Turbo Mode frequency figures depend on whether AVX is active, with non-AVX clocks being substantially lower. Intel’s Xeon 8176 has a non-AVX 28-core maximum turbo frequency of 2.8GHz, an AVX 2.0 28-core maximum turbo frequency of 2.4GHz, and an AVX-512 28-core maximum turbo frequency of just 1.9GHz.

Pricing

This is going to be a game changer for AMD as they have launched their new line of product that is priced amazinly lower than their rival product.

AMD has a significant advantage in base price; the top-end Epyc 7601 (180W TDP) is a 32-core chip with a 2.2GHz base / 3.2GHz max clock speed and a $4,200 price tag. Whereas Intel’s Xeon 8180 is a 28-core chip with a 2.5 – 3.8GHz max clock and a $10,009 price tag

The sum up the entire discussion we would say that AMD's EPYC is going to do well in the market and would surely eat up some of the market share Intel has been sitting on for a long time. But some would still say that AMD’s Epyc isn’t the better choice in every situation or environment. A combination of lower prices, competitive performance, and some solid test wins show AMD would give Intel a tough competition, even at the top of the market. For hardware cost-conscious companies, or vendors, Epyc is a very strong brand. But Intel XEON shows some formidable performance gains of its own, has a better scaling mesh topology, and the stronger overall level of performance.

OF COURSE YOU CAN CHERRY PICK WHERE INTEL ARE BETTER, OR WHERE AMD PERFORMS BETTER.

Quote:

Last edited by adamsleath; 13th October 2017 at 6:06 PM.
Old 13th October 2017, 6:01 PM   #5700
dirtyd

Quote:

Dell clearly not worth a damn. Time will tell, let's re-visit this in 6 months time and see what happens in server market share. I am tipping > 20% turnaround, on the record.
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote