Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th June 2017, 7:53 PM   #1
terroristone Thread Starter

Default 2017 macbook pro 13" i7

hey guys, I'm considering buying a new MacBook pro 13" with i7 cpu. They have the touchbar etc. I'd like to get opinions on these as ive never owned one, I did have a mac mini in 2012 which I did like as I do prefer osx over windows for doing everything but gaming. I'm in no rush to buy but I don't wont to commit when I don't know anything about them or what will be released next year.

Regards Andrew
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI R9 390X - DELL 30" 2560X1600 -2xDELL 20" 1200x1600 PLP - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th June 2017, 8:22 PM   #2
[KEi]SoVeReIgN

Just got updated with a speed bump so it's a good time to buy

Overall excellent performer for everything but games (But passable if required)
Expensive for the specs on paper, touch bar is controversial - That comes down to preference (I love it)

If you're in the market, the only reason to hold off is there is likely a bigger than usual speed bump due next year when intel releases their next generation of chips. But by that logic you'll end up waiting forever.
[KEi]SoVeReIgN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 7:31 PM   #3
605jimmy

I have had the 13inch touchbar, 13inch non touch bar, 15 inch touchbar all the new design. Hate the touchbar, keyboard is alright for typing, speakers are awesome. I have sold all them though due to my hatred of the touchbar mainly (80%) and 20% cause of the keyboard. Instead I got a 13inch 2015 model, best keyboard, screen is fine but speakers are lacking volume compared to the new models. I bought the misses the new model without the touchbar. Best way to go IMO if you don't need the horsepower.

They give you 2 weeks to return the product for store credit anyway. Take advantage of it. Buy the cheapest MacBook Pro that your interested in and take it back need be and pay extra to get a different one.
Old 19th June 2017, 1:11 AM   #4
mr camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 605jimmy View Post
Instead I got a 13inch 2015 model, best keyboard, screen is fine but speakers are lacking volume compared to the new models. .... Best way to go IMO if you don't need the horsepower.
13" 2015 model is no longer available. It got dropped in the latest update cycle. Only old model MacBook Pro still available is the 2015 15".
mr camouflage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 1:40 PM   #5
jacobt

Got the one with the touchbar. It's pretty much a great work machine. Screen is amazing, I like the touchbar, keyboard is nice if a little annoying if literally anything gets under the keys. You won't regret it.
Old 19th June 2017, 10:20 PM   #6
chip

Am I the only one who just can't get used to the keyboard on these? The travel is just too shallow.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Zee

I've supplied a few of these for clients now (yeay for business discounts!). Personally, I'm not a fan of the touchbar - at 15", you have no choice, though. Key travel is a bit too short, I think. It's very nice, but just too short.

I'm still not a fan of the all usb-C thing, but it seems easy enough to buy a single USB-C hub with everything on it (legacy USB, SD card, HDMI and ethernet). It's annoying, but such is. I think it's possible to buy just the end bits for your old USB sticks/HDD's.

Also, kinda wish they had kept magsafe, though, there is a magnetic USB-C adaptor thingy out there, which I'd probably by for charging (kids and working on construction sites...).

Having said that, it's a very nice machine, could I get over my gripes and live with it? Probably.

Once my Mac Air dies, USB-C will probably be ubiquitous, and it'll no longer be an issue, and it seems everyone is going to be following this USB-C only trend (Aus has a laptop out with USB-C only too).

I do also wish they had not sacrificed battery life quite as much for "thinness", I love the 14hr battery life of my Air, would have been awesome to have the same in a Pro.

Regardless, I'd go a 13" no touchbar. I believe the non touch bar models also have slightly better battery life, though I don't think they have the fingerprint scanner, if that matters to you.

Z...
Old 21st June 2017, 1:22 PM   #8
terroristone Thread Starter

from everything ive looked into and some of the good comments here I think usb c is a good thing, I'm sick of never being able to get a usb (a) in on the first try, the sooner it becomes the standard the better I think.

T1
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI R9 390X - DELL 30" 2560X1600 -2xDELL 20" 1200x1600 PLP - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 2:30 PM   #9
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by terroristone View Post
from everything ive looked into and some of the good comments here I think usb c is a good thing, I'm sick of never being able to get a usb (a) in on the first try, the sooner it becomes the standard the better I think.

T1
Oh, it's a very good thing. I'd love to see it on everything - phones, tablets, drives - everything. It's just that it's the start of the standard, so a single old school USB 3 port would have been a nice inclusion...

Regardless, I reckon it'll be another year before I need to upgrade my Mac Air, but that time USB-C will be common enough.

Z...