Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Graphic Design & Digital Art

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th April 2017, 12:42 AM   #1
keepitsimple Thread Starter

Default Course to compliment Web design? Should I go to uni?

Hello all,
I've studied my Diploma of Multimedia here in Melbourne a few years ago and haven't really studied at another Uni/Tafe since. I have been freelancing and self-teaching myself web and graphic design since.

But I feel like i'm missing the paperwork and I fear that employers would not consider me if I don't have a bachelors qualification. The reason why I didn't do it, was because I didn't know what course I should go into. I am going for jobs as a Digital Designer as I think that's the close to what I want to get a job in.

Can anyone guide me if there is a course I should do that will compliment me as a Web and Graphic Designer? Or if I really should study?

Much appreciated
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th April 2017, 9:06 PM   #2
ni9ht_5ta1k3r

I'm pretty much the same as you: practically no formal qualifications in graphic design but I did a digital media course at TAFE and that exposed me to a lot of tools like photoshop and I started just creating stuff like CD, DVD covers and I just used that to build a portfolio. I did try and get into a graphic design course at TAFE afterwards but it was very competitive and I didn't get it so I went with my back up of web design. I was able to complete up to the diploma level (I had the time) and with those skills i started designing websites.

While formal training gets you started it's good to explore and research new trends. Also find people who are willing to take give you an opportunity to show what you can do.

I now build and manage websites for many of Sony Music Australia's artists like Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy (whom I just did a site revamp last month), and it's great and tough.

So be willing to learn and curious: you won't know everything nor will you be able to solve all problems just with your knowledge...that's what google is for.

Courses I did were:

Cert 4 in Web Based Technologies
Diploma in website development

They didn't teach things like wordpress so that's something I had to learn through reading articles and just experimenting...just experiment.
XBOX Live: The Gh0sts | Steam: Th3_Gh0sts | PSN: TheGhosts (AU) - TheGh0sts_CA (CA) | Origin: Th3_Gh0sts - RSSC: Chillawhat | UPlay: spartan33 | Battle.Net: Th3Gh0sts#1131
Current PC: Metabox Prime-X P870DM-G with a GTX 1070N GPU
My Web & Graphic Design Portfolio | My EBay Listings | Overwatch Vids

Last edited by ni9ht_5ta1k3r; 6th April 2017 at 9:10 PM.
ni9ht_5ta1k3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 10:45 PM   #3
keepitsimple Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
I'm pretty much the same as you: practically no formal qualifications in graphic design but I did a digital media course at TAFE and that exposed me to a lot of tools like photoshop and I started just creating stuff like CD, DVD covers and I just used that to build a portfolio. I did try and get into a graphic design course at TAFE afterwards but it was very competitive and I didn't get it so I went with my back up of web design. I was able to complete up to the diploma level (I had the time) and with those skills i started designing websites.

While formal training gets you started it's good to explore and research new trends. Also find people who are willing to take give you an opportunity to show what you can do.

I now build and manage websites for many of Sony Music Australia's artists like Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy (whom I just did a site revamp last month), and it's great and tough.

So be willing to learn and curious: you won't know everything nor will you be able to solve all problems just with your knowledge...that's what google is for.

Courses I did were:

Cert 4 in Web Based Technologies
Diploma in website development

They didn't teach things like wordpress so that's something I had to learn through reading articles and just experimenting...just experiment.
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you get to that stage of building websites for those big companies? Did you work for a company or freelance?
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 11:15 PM   #4
ni9ht_5ta1k3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you get to that stage of building websites for those big companies? Did you work for a company or freelance?
it started from TAFE projects, then I offered to build sites to those I know as a freelancer family friends who had a new business or something. i kept getting more and more jobs to where i could build out my skills, knowledge, CV, and portfolio. I was able to get work at a digital media agency in Canada for about 13-14 months and being to get that job was good because you learn new things and expanded my skills. I actually did a mix of graphic work and web work but the experience is more towards web.

That experience boosted my confidence when i returned back to Australia and within a month of just applying i landed my current job with Sony....and all the perks that come with it like free PS4 games

So learning and practice is one thing but in order to sell yourself you have to be confident in yourself, your portfolio, and your ability to investigate and solve problems. having sony in my CV will hopefully increase my "prestige".

my actual title is a digital designer, meaning i do both web and graphic design related jobs. i'm do, but not limited to:

1. web site design
2. dvd menu design
3. digital tiles design (these are images that you'll see on streaming sites like itunes for tv shows or movies)
4. social tiles (these are ads that get posted on social media sites like facebook)
5. posters (like the ones you see on street lights stuck on with sticky tape)
6. ingest video content (scan videos and look for points where it can be edited out)

don't be afraid to try something different because you'll learn something new and it'll look great on your CV / Linkedin profile

I still freelance when i have the time.
XBOX Live: The Gh0sts | Steam: Th3_Gh0sts | PSN: TheGhosts (AU) - TheGh0sts_CA (CA) | Origin: Th3_Gh0sts - RSSC: Chillawhat | UPlay: spartan33 | Battle.Net: Th3Gh0sts#1131
Old 11th May 2017, 12:30 AM   #5
virtuosox

i see graphic designers regularly, and i barely see or hear them talking about their qualifications.
their port folio speaks louder however.
virtuosox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 7:08 PM   #6
ni9ht_5ta1k3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuosox View Post
i see graphic designers regularly, and i barely see or hear them talking about their qualifications.
their port folio speaks louder however.
Qualifications to make you skilled, portfolio to get you into the door.