Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Other CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th May 2017, 10:48 AM   #2161
grrrr

Have you tried the latest openelec which is using kodi 17.?

I wont try libre elec until i finish the current seasons of a few shows... I love having the lists tickboxed...

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th May 2017, 11:20 AM   #2162
toje

Yep tried the latest one, that's where I started to get CPU unsupported and all sorts of strange kernel errors, the installer bugged out pretty amazingly too.

To install the new OpenELEC I had to reinstall 7.1 then upgrade to 8 again. It was a mess.

If you get interested you can just dump the LibreELEC upgrade image in the Upgrade folder of OpenELEC as you would normally as its a fork.

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?...C_to_LibreELEC
Ryzen 1700X (Stock), G.SKill 32GB RAM 3200Mhz (2400Mhz, 15-15-15-38), 8GB GTX 1080, ASROCK Fat1lity Gaming K4 X370, 500GB and 1TB Rust Drives, Logitech G15 Woop Woop, 15 year old BenQ 24" LCD, HTC Vive.
Holden Jackaroo, 3.2L V6, 2" Ironman Lift, 32" MTZ, Front AutoLokka, Rear ARB Air Locker, Commodore Injectors, 85L Tank, TJM Alloy Roo Bar. Go Anywhere just not quickly.
toje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 11:24 AM   #2163
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by toje View Post
I started to get CPU unsupported and all sorts of strange kernel errors
That problem hit a number of systems. There's a hard-coded string somewhere in the Raspberry Pi tools that identifies your model (ARM versus ARMHF) that only compares two strings at the end of your kernel revision.

A recent newer kernel added a new string, and screwed it up. It's trivial to track down the BASH script and add the third string option (I've done it on a few systems now where I'm testing new kernels), but probably outside the realm of capability for your average "the Pi is just an appliance that I flash" crowd.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:30 AM   #2164
toje

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
but probably outside the realm of capability for your average "the Pi is just an appliance that I flash" crowd.
Owch that stings,
Ryzen 1700X (Stock), G.SKill 32GB RAM 3200Mhz (2400Mhz, 15-15-15-38), 8GB GTX 1080, ASROCK Fat1lity Gaming K4 X370, 500GB and 1TB Rust Drives, Logitech G15 Woop Woop, 15 year old BenQ 24" LCD, HTC Vive.
Holden Jackaroo, 3.2L V6, 2" Ironman Lift, 32" MTZ, Front AutoLokka, Rear ARB Air Locker, Commodore Injectors, 85L Tank, TJM Alloy Roo Bar. Go Anywhere just not quickly.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:32 AM   #2165
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Owch that stings,
Heh sorry, wasn't supposed to be a dig. I've used Linux a looong time, but I get that it's all gibberish to people who are only picking it up recently.

Part of the reason I love the Pi is because it's bringing Linux to the masses. But at the same time, I can see how frustrated developers get when fixes are simple, but people avoid entire versions/distributions of software literally because one line of text in a file needs a third variable added.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:57 AM   #2166
toje

My move from Open to Libre was caused by a bit more than this one issue truth be told. I had been having minor issues for a while, and thought, "why not its just an upgrade package?"

At home I run 3 Linux Servers, a Linux Desktop, a Linux Laptop with a kernel I compiled so I can get the ACPI stuff working correctly and FreeBSD on my router :P

Trying different distros is the Linux way, and I don't like fixing things that should of easily been picked up in testing.
Old 8th May 2017, 12:08 PM   #2167
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Trying different distros is the Linux way
I fundamentally and philosophically disagree. Distro hopping teaches you nothing, other than to "format and reinstall" to solve issues. That is inherently the legacy Windows way of solving problems (which is to avoid the problem resolution of the mystical black box, and just blast it and start again with another copy of that black box, and no knowledge of why or how it broke).

Open source is about tracking down issues for yourself. In this case, it's not a source code thing. You don't need to go and dig into C/C++ code, and you don't need to recompile things and update Git repos. It's adding one word to a text file, and everything works.

I've spoken about this in my Linux/OpenSource guide in the "Other Operating Systems" subforum, as well as my "So, you want to learn Linux for your job?" thread. Both are very specific in their recommendations: don't distro hop if you want to learn. Find out why things don't work the way you want, and what you can do about it.

Yes, choice is good. But distro-hopping is less about choice, and more about problem avoidance.

Again, if you're treating your RPi as an appliance and not a learning resource, then do as you please. There's certainly no compulsion to roll up your sleeves and hack bash scripts if all you want is a literal "plug and play" device-style experience out of your RPi. And I'm completely aware that even experienced people often can't be bothered screwing around to that level for a device that was purchases precisely to avoid the "screw around time" that often comes with trying to make media devices for home use. That's all completely fair, and I get it. When it comes to my own personal media boxes, my tolerance for bullshit is pretty low, because I'm there to relax and watch media, not to do more of the same work I just spent 60+ hours doing at work that week.

BUT - distro hopping is most certainly not "the Linux way". It's "the appliance way", which may appear a pedantic difference to the uninitiated, but it's an important one all the same.
Old 8th May 2017, 12:30 PM   #2168
toje

Fair enough, I have tried lots of different distros to find what works for me, but primarily I've been on arch for about 3 years now

When I started out with it back on Mandrake it was encouraged to try many different distros. But being disconnected from the wider social community I guess its moved on and I'm a relic
Old 8th May 2017, 2:59 PM   #2169
grrrr

I don't know that I am experienced enough to have found the CPU issue if I encountered that problem (unless it is a google search away).

However reflecting on my setup of kodi, and retropie, it would probably be surprising the amount of time I have spent in putty editing the config files to get things to work the way I like (or just work ).

I like to think Im a 'wanna-be' that wants to do things the 'linux way' when I have time to tinker.

When I was setting up a pi music player for the house, there are heaps of options and there were a couple of apps/servers I intended to try, but once I spent the time to get the first solution working well, I didnt want to go through it all again just to 'try' something else.
Old 8th May 2017, 3:16 PM   #2170
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
When I started out with it back on Mandrake it was encouraged to try many different distros.
96 was when Linux first caught my attention, and distro-hopping has never been a recommended thing to my knowledge.

Fundamentally there's a couple of major distros, and everything else clones them. You've got your "RPM distros" (RedHat, CentOS, Fedora, Scientific, etc - including Mandrake/Mandriva), and your "DEB distros" (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc), and then the edge cases like Gentoo, Arch, etc.

These days, the differences are even more subtle. OpenElec vs LibreElec vs RetroPie vs Lakka - it's all just Debian with a bit of shit on top. I even struggle to call them "distros", as they're closer to a "spin" or "flavour" than a full blown distro. Much like Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Kubuntu are all just a single meta-package away from each other, and can be converted on the fly from one to the other with a couple of trivial commands. All of these RPi "distros" vary by a single digit percent each, with most of that customisation being a configuration of a package (not even the package itself - they all use the same bit of RetroArch or Kodi, or maybe just a version bump wrapped up in a new repo).

Speaking for myself, my media box is an RPi with vanilla Raspbian and Kodi installed on top. Was it insanely hard to make that autostart, choose a theme, and configure it? No. Could I have switched to a different "distro" and had it all set up for me automatically by some kid in a far away land who wrote a sexy install wizard? Sure. But to be honest, I didn't even bother checking, because "apt-get install somecrap" worked well for me, and got me to a functional setup quickly via editing a handful of files and away it went.

Anyways, that's all getting a bit "get off my lawn" old man rant. Do as you please. Whatever gets you to a working thing is good, as is the fact that you've got a tonne of choice courtesy of millions of enthusiastic users. I find it all a bit of a waste of time to be very blunt with you, but it's a minor gripe. The more important picture is there's no a shitload more folks using Linux for fun thanks to a cheap little computer that was born of one man's desire to teach people computer science in a fun way. So for that, I'm grateful.
Old 9th May 2017, 12:40 PM   #2171
ir0nhide

Found a use for a Gen1 model B that I had lying around:

https://octopi.octoprint.org/

Uploading meshes to your 3D printer over wifi (and having it slice remotely if desired) is most excellent and works reasonably well given the lack of CPU grunt on these units. Gen3 boards should be a lot quicker but hey this is what I had to hand and it works
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think you'll find the diggers would prefer he goes in marine uniform.
ir0nhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 12:11 PM   #2172
NuZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nhide View Post
Found a use for a Gen1 model B that I had lying around:

https://octopi.octoprint.org/

Uploading meshes to your 3D printer over wifi (and having it slice remotely if desired) is most excellent and works reasonably well given the lack of CPU grunt on these units. Gen3 boards should be a lot quicker but hey this is what I had to hand and it works
I've never been able to get my RPI-1 Model-B Work well with wireless adapters.

How does yours go?

Cheers,
Nuzo
NuZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 7:03 PM   #2173
grrrr

I never had a gen 1 board. But I know for the PI2 I purchased a specific dongle that was known to work. There are plenty that dont.
Old 26th May 2017, 9:18 AM   #2174
millsy_c

Late to the party but I am still shocked at how tiny the Zero is! Feels like it's a MBP though when you've got all the adaptors plugged in to set it up
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 11:24 AM   #2175
303-Acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy_c View Post
Late to the party but I am still shocked at how tiny the Zero is! Feels like it's a MBP though when you've got all the adaptors plugged in to set it up
Same! I grabbed the Zero and Zero-W just because they were cheap a couple of weeks ago. Yet to do anything with them. I was going to use the W for my Cumulus weather software but it looks like that'll work in my FreeNAS jail. Got a Pi2 for RetroPie, and two Pi's doing nothing but testing things.

I was also going to try Amazon Alexa but read that it requires an Echo to fully function properly? As in, won't interact with devices?