Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Programming & Software Development

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th May 2017, 2:29 PM   #121
theSeekerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_ View Post
Ever try musicbee ? i use it instead of winamp
https://getmusicbee.com/downloads/
I used to use MediaMonkey, but it got clunky and slow. MusicBee is a bit more limited, but awesome.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th May 2017, 4:20 PM   #122
neRok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_ View Post
Ever try musicbee ? i use it instead of winamp
https://getmusicbee.com/downloads/
Tried it out. It's pretty good. Very similar to winamp feature wise. I did notice you can tweak the shuffle mode, which is good (and related to my feature). A few gripes though;
- if you close and open, it doesn't stay in docked mode
- when docked, it doesn't have a popup showing the track like winamp (I like to see the pictures when I'm skipping)
- it takes a few seconds to show the album art I have saved as folder.jpg (winamp is basically instant)
- edit: just discovered another - wasn't even showing the right cover art! Completely wrong album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
what feature? (— It really whips the llama's ass!)
So my collection is all CD rips, and there are a lot of 'fluff' tracks like intros and what not that are good to hear when you are listening to the album in its entirety, but not when shuffling. So I want a plugin that when you are playing on shuffle mode, it will check for a tag in the file, and then either skip or play the file. At the moment I resort to zipping up said tracks.

It could even be taken to the next level, whereby it skips parts of the song, eg when the last track on the album has a song then 10min silence before a hidden song. That shit is real annoying when it comes up in shuffle play at a party or something.

Here's an example album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SejsRiaVRqI

Last edited by neRok; 19th May 2017 at 4:24 PM.
neRok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 5:09 PM   #123
theSeekerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by neRok View Post
there are a lot of 'fluff' tracks like intros and what not that are good to hear when you are listening to the album in its entirety, but not when shuffling. So I want a plugin that when you are playing on shuffle mode, it will check for a tag in the file, and then either skip or play the file. At the moment I resort to zipping up said tracks.
Totally sympathise with this - tried to convince the developer of my favourite Android player that this would be a good feature, but he wasn't having it.

Most media players have some concept like "smart playlists" that can operate based on tags. I use one that includes everything except a "noshuffle" tag, and shuffle that playlist.
Old 19th May 2017, 5:52 PM   #124
Luke212

Quote:
So I want a plugin that when you are playing on shuffle mode, it will check for a tag in the file, and then either skip or play the file.
ok what tag do you want to use?

Quote:
It could even be taken to the next level, whereby it skips parts of the song, eg when the last track on the album has a song then 10min silence before a hidden song. That shit is real annoying when it comes up in shuffle play at a party or something.
give an example of what tag you would use to tell the plugin to skip part of the song?
Old 19th May 2017, 6:28 PM   #125
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Yer. For listening to flac files on my pc, nothing else is as good (for me). Foobar2000 is pretty good, but it never did it for me.
Foobar is like linux - needs work to get to where you want it.
Winamp is like windows - just does stuff.
Foobar2000 straight out of the box works (apart from UI look) - not sure 'how' you needed to tweak this to get it to winamp stage?

Frankly I am calling this out!

Curious about how winamp is better than foobar2000 - name the song and or sounds.

Solid App - is 'don't find me' - a client based VPN approach - it masks and scrambles your IP Address and the more aggressively they probe they more aggressive is it's response. That is, they do initial probe it throws back a 'sample' (hit) of an ambiguous IP - they re-probe it throws back 3 samples. The more they probe it the exponential increase in ambiguous IP's are rebounded. Like shining light into a prism. The client itself has this 'prism shield'.

Develop that and you'll make a billion within the first 3months - please consider me as a shareholder at 5%?

I have some ideas on it's construct.

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 19th May 2017 at 7:35 PM.
Bold Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 6:51 PM   #126
neRok

Quote:
ok what tag do you want to use?

give an example of what tag you would use to tell the plugin to skip part of the song?
If you're going to implement both ideas, perhaps on_shuffle_skip and on_shuffle_trim.

For on_shuffle_skip, I guess if the tag exists and the value isn't null or False, then it should be skipped.

For on_shuffle_trim, I imagine a list of time stamps to skip from and to. So say I want to skip the first 10 and last 10 seconds of a 3 minute song, it might look something like `00:00-00:10,02:50-03:00`. That's with minutes and seconds, but perhaps hours and milliseconds should be considered? And perhaps a special word can be used for start and end, to easily substitute without having to know the exact length? Perhaps the timestamps should be written in a json compatible string, to make it easy to parse?
I don't think just skip from start and skip from end values is a good idea, because I have songs where I want to cut the middle out.

PS- I noticed on the Musicbee site that some winamp plugins are compatible with Musicbee. Perhaps you can write this to be both?

Last edited by neRok; 19th May 2017 at 6:58 PM.
Old 20th May 2017, 9:02 AM   #127
breech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBurger View Post
This could be a good thread... "Random (free) apps request thread".. go on, edit the title?
This is pretty much Foliage's ancient thread so just start your own. It would need to come from someone such as yourself that wants to offer their services. How about 'Consolidated Coding/Scripting Requests - small projects only' ..?
breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 12:31 PM   #128
Luke212

Quote:
If you're going to implement both ideas, perhaps on_shuffle_skip and on_shuffle_trim.

For on_shuffle_skip, I guess if the tag exists and the value isn't null or False, then it should be skipped.

For on_shuffle_trim, I imagine a list of time stamps to skip from and to. So say I want to skip the first 10 and last 10 seconds of a 3 minute song, it might look something like `00:00-00:10,02:50-03:00`. That's with minutes and seconds, but perhaps hours and milliseconds should be considered? And perhaps a special word can be used for start and end, to easily substitute without having to know the exact length? Perhaps the timestamps should be written in a json compatible string, to make it easy to parse?
I don't think just skip from start and skip from end values is a good idea, because I have songs where I want to cut the middle out.

PS- I noticed on the Musicbee site that some winamp plugins are compatible with Musicbee. Perhaps you can write this to be both?
i was able to read the id3 tags,
read whether shuffle is on,
what position the track is up to,
seek to a position on the track.

pretty much everything required to do it.

only thing i couldnt do was get the currently playing filename. i was using c#.

here is some code. does anyone know how to get a string from a char* ?

Code:
  int currentPlaylistPosition = 
   Win32.SendMessage(this.Handle,(int)WA_IPC.WM_WA_IPC,0,(uint)WA_IPC.IPC_GETLISTPOS);
   unsafe
   {
     char* filenamePointer = (char*)Win32.SendMessage(this.Handle,(int)WA_IPC.WM_WA_IPC,currentPlaylistPosition,(uint)WA_IPC.IPC_GETPLAYLISTFILE);
     string filename = ??????;
   }
i tried

Code:
string test = System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.PtrToStringAnsi((IntPtr)filenamePointer);
and it returns ""

Last edited by Luke212; 20th May 2017 at 12:47 PM.
Luke212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:01 PM   #129
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
Edit: me and deltoid are writing programs still when we can be bothered, feel free to post!
The open source community is screaming for good quality developers. Tell me your preferred languages and the sorts of things/hobbies/businesses/problems you enjoy, and I'll give you five open source projects that would love your help, even if it was sporadic.
Old 20th May 2017, 1:15 PM   #130
Foliage Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
The open source community is screaming for good quality developers. Tell me your preferred languages and the sorts of things/hobbies/businesses/problems you enjoy, and I'll give you five open source projects that would love your help, even if it was sporadic.
Old post. I'm working on my own company now instead!

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4940

Quitting my job in a months time to work on it full time.

Contributed to a few open source projects in this time as well to add features to libraries I am using in it. Also released part of the project open source for others to play with.
https://github.com/rolandh
Old 20th May 2017, 1:17 PM   #131
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
Old post. I'm working on my own company now instead!

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4940

Quitting my job in a months time to work on it full time.

Contributed to a few open source projects in this time as well to add features to libraries I am using in it. Also released part of the project open source for others to play with.
https://github.com/rolandh
Very fucking cool.
Old 21st May 2017, 12:03 PM   #132
neRok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Foobar2000 straight out of the box works (apart from UI look) - not sure 'how' you needed to tweak this to get it to winamp stage?

Frankly I am calling this out!
Just tried it out. The UI was easier to mod than I remember, and in fact a simple wizard at the start got me to what I wanted easily enough. However, it does not have a dock feature like winamp, and a plugin I found for that was outdated and did not work. Also, the notification area popup for when changing track is merely text, not a nice picture+text like winamp. And 1 tiny issue, adding all my tracks to the playlist for the first time took a good minute, which I presume was it caching some info, because it didn't happen again (and never happens with winamp).

So after all this time, I still cannot find a newer / 'next-gen' program that does everything that winamp does, so hence I stick with winamp.

I liken the experience to a new candy-bar phone I purchased ~18 months ago, and it was far worse than the last/previous candy-bar I purchased in 2006 or so. So after 10 years with all that new tech etc, they couldn't make a candy-bar even in the same ballpark as an old one. That seems to be what these music players are like.

Quote:

i tried

and it returns ""
I have NFI. What do you need the file name for though?
Old 21st May 2017, 12:12 PM   #133
Foliage Thread Starter

Quote:
A char* basically is a string, just pass the char* to whatever you are trying to do and it should work providing it has been null terminated.
Old 21st May 2017, 12:47 PM   #134
Luke212

Quote:
I have NFI. What do you need the file name for though?
so i can load it in an id3 parser to see what tags it has.
Old 21st May 2017, 1:15 PM   #135
neRok

Quote:
so i can load it in an id3 parser to see what tags it has.
Wouldn't winamp be able to give you that info? Does id3 parser work for flac files?