Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Old 4th October 2017, 12:23 PM   #16
elvis
Old school old fool

Had a stash of old motherboards in the shed from years gone by. Was building a cocktail MAME cabinet for a friend. Grabbed an old nforce2 board, put it in, but the 256MB RAM I had wasn't quite enough to keep the minimal OS+MAME happy.

Grabbed another RAM stick, shoved it in without looking (it was deep inside the cabinet), magic smoke. What? Oh, I put it in backwards. Neat.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 12:39 PM   #17
AG-TAS

Back in the day when PC's still used 3 1/2" floppy drives...

Regularly cleaned and rebuilt my kids computers. Absolute dust mines

Finished rebuild, put on desktop to turn on and test.

Smoke and glowing red wires from back of floppy drive....

Didn't think it was possible to connect power cable incorrectly...

But it was.

Amazingly, it still worked after new cable put in
i7-4770K@4,2GHz - Corsair H110 - XFX HD7990+Sapphire HD7970 - Asus Maximus VI Extreme - 4x4G Corsair Dominator 2133C9 - Enermax 1250W Platinum -Fractal Design DEFINE XL R2
Australia OC HWBOT MemberJoin us and have fun pushing your gear to the limits.

Last edited by AG-TAS; 4th October 2017 at 12:44 PM.
AG-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 8:17 PM   #18
breno

Years ago when I first started building PC's, I had a heap of case screws and risers in a tin case. Didn't realise I had different sized risers....
Old 12th October 2017, 8:45 PM   #19
Hater

When I first started, I didn't have my own PC, I had to use my Dads... so I bought a new video card for my Dads PC.

Spent all of my hard earned money (I was 8 or so) on a GeForce 2 MX400 when they were new.

Opened the PC, put it in... it only fits backwards? Weird.

Anyway, fit it backwards, got the hacksaw into the case and routed the VGA cable in through the back of the case, did a very neat job.

Everything fits nicely, time to power it on!

Nothing. Just a buzzing noise...

Unfortunately I didn't, at that point, understand what that the "4X" after AGP actually meant something, I was trying to run an AGP 4X card and only have an AGP 1X slot!

Of course I'd dremeled some of the PCB of the card so couldn't return it. I had a brand new spangly video card that I couldn't use, and I couldn't afford to upgrade the motherboard or processor of my dads machine. It sat there sitting on my shelf, taunting me, unused.

Hater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 11:45 PM   #20
havabeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hater View Post
When I first started, I didn't have my own PC, I had to use my Dads... so I bought a new video card for my Dads PC.

Spent all of my hard earned money (I was 8 or so) on a GeForce 2 MX400 when they were new.

Opened the PC, put it in... it only fits backwards? Weird.

Anyway, fit it backwards, got the hacksaw into the case and routed the VGA cable in through the back of the case, did a very neat job.

Everything fits nicely, time to power it on!

Nothing. Just a buzzing noise...

Unfortunately I didn't, at that point, understand what that the "4X" after AGP actually meant something, I was trying to run an AGP 4X card and only have an AGP 1X slot!

Of course I'd dremeled some of the PCB of the card so couldn't return it. I had a brand new spangly video card that I couldn't use, and I couldn't afford to upgrade the motherboard or processor of my dads machine. It sat there sitting on my shelf, taunting me, unused.

i remember my brother doing something similar to a family friends PC. trying to install a new CD-burner in a fairly standard desktop. was sticking out a couple of milimeters from the front of the 5 1/4" bay.

slammed it home a few times wondering why it wont fit.

pulled it back out and realised it was hitting on a little resistor on the motherboard and he had smashed it open. PC wouldn't work. luckily dad was a fairly handy guy replaced the resistor with one from some old VCR and worked fine
Old 13th October 2017, 7:21 AM   #21
hawpinghaxbag

Had the DFI nf4-sli-dr mobo (athlon 64 x2) with a PCP&C 510w psu

Decided to go SLi and plugged in another 7800GTX, system would not post

After troubleshooting decided it was power related and decided to buy the pcp&c 1000w psu ($650)

Plugged it all in and system still would not post

Turned out i'd missed the floppy drive power plug for Sli on the mobo, just staring at me in the face
hawpinghaxbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 9:08 AM   #22
nCrypt

When i was a complete noob, had a PC die., ended up being the Power Supply, and i was convinced dust had gotten into the power switch and that was causing the issue haha.

Over the years so so many.

When i build a rig now, there is always something small that i miss, whether it be a power connector, or an IO connector, there is always something!
3.5960X@4.5Ghz 1.24V X99 Carbon 16GB TridentZ 3200C14 GTX1080 Phanteks Luxe
nCrypt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 10:17 AM   #23
Spork!

My most recent potato episode was managing to bend pins in 2 intel sockets in the same day. Then it took me a week or 2 (+ help from OCAU) to realise I had bent said pins.

Call me Kenny(bec)
MB: Maximus VII Hero. CPU: Delidded i7 4790k @ 4.588 RAM: 4x8gb Ripjaws @ 2448mHz c10. PSU: EVGA G2 850. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armour Cooling: Phanteks TH-TC14PE Drives: 2 x SSD and a 2TB mech for storage. Monitor:Samsung S34EC790C
Spork! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:18 AM   #24
cmi83

Cool

Back in... 2000?? I setup a new machine, put a massive heatsink/fan setup on the CPU but didn't install it properly. Closed up the case, started the machine up, and it was running well.

Went to get a drink, heard a crashing noise, ran back and by the time I got the case open, the CPU had died as the fan had fallen and taken out some other components along the way too.

Last edited by cmi83; 13th October 2017 at 12:05 PM.
cmi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:23 AM   #25
Arctic_Silver08

Friends fail: 0 Standoffs between mobo and case, nice burning smell when turning it on.

My fail: plugging in the power button wire backwards and when the pc wouldn't turn on, thought I'd fkd something.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:54 AM   #26
karlcloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Grabbed another RAM stick, shoved it in without looking (it was deep inside the cabinet), magic smoke. What? Oh, I put it in backwards. Neat.
Been there, done that. Couldn't see anything since it was a small case and a bunch of wires were obscuring the view of the slot. Thought I had clipped it in successfully on both sides... obviously not . Motherboard wasn't particularly happy about it and promptly burnt up a PCB trace along with issuing the characteristic scent of failure, but the RAM survived !
Desktop: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz || Nvidia GTX760 OC SLI || G.Skill 1600Mhz 4 x 2GB || ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z || Vertex 3 MI 128GB + 4 x 500GB F3's in RAID0 + 5 (Matrix) || Corsair AX850 || Fractal Design XL
Server: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2 || ATI 6450 || 4 x 4GB RAM || Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 || OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 4TB RAID5 || Corsair VX550 || Fractal Design R3
Intel Owners Club Member [#97] - My trade list
karlcloudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 12:03 PM   #27
Turbine

Mate came to a LAN and his PC wouldn't start.
Checked everything...isolated parts, unplugged things pushed in connectors.

Just towards the end of the LAN after a near full teardown he found out there was a cable preventing the mobo power connector from going all the way in.

Was probably working for years like that and the move bumped it enough to lose contact.

I swear it happens every LAN, either someone has to reinstall windows or teardown their computer.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:16 PM   #28
breno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
Mate came to a LAN and his PC wouldn't start.
Checked everything...isolated parts, unplugged things pushed in connectors.

Just towards the end of the LAN after a near full teardown he found out there was a cable preventing the mobo power connector from going all the way in.

Was probably working for years like that and the move bumped it enough to lose contact.

I swear it happens every LAN, either someone has to reinstall windows or teardown their computer.
Most popular remark would be "It was working fine before!" Happened so many times when I've wanted to show a friend something awesome and something goes wrong. Pushing away that rising feeling of an absolute noob...
Old 13th October 2017, 12:34 PM   #29
fcyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Silver08 View Post
Friends fail: 0 Standoffs between mobo and case, nice burning smell when turning it on.
lol i had a friend do this too. Luckily i spotted the mistake before it was powered on.
fcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 3:06 PM   #30
Tazor

My first new PC back in 2010, built it on a carpeted floor in socks... Nuff said.

Last edited by Tazor; 13th October 2017 at 3:10 PM.
Tazor is offline   Reply With Quote