Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Old 13th October 2017, 4:41 PM   #31
AllezAllez

Built PC with new parts and a new customer cooling loop - everything is turning on but no display.

Trouble shoot power cables, monitor cables, GPU. Disassemble entirely including custom loop.

Reassemble. Same problem. Sweat bullets.

Realise many hours later that I had the display port cable plugged into my motherboard instead of the GPU
AllezAllez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 4:43 PM   #32
Tazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezAllez View Post
Built PC with new parts and a new customer cooling loop - everything is turning on but no display.

Trouble shoot power cables, monitor cables, GPU. Disassemble entirely including custom loop.

Reassemble. Same problem. Sweat bullets.

Realise many hours later that I had the display port cable plugged into my motherboard instead of the GPU
Like 90% of customers who bought pre-built systems from PCCG would do that then try and accuse us of selling them a faulty system.
Old 13th October 2017, 6:13 PM   #33
CirCit

When i was working (not my fails)

work exp kid is installing a psu (not sure if new or repair job) and gets the brand new psu to flood the room with smoke. turns out he shoved ALL the wires thru some metal cutout and when he slapped the front back on (AT?) he pinched and shorted a small 2 pin 12v plug that was on it to the case ground. entire length of wire melted but a quick snip and job done.(was a different time)

get a guy who has more cash then he should. orders a giant gigabyte UD9 and 3x 480's(why 3 no idea). insists that both the supplement molex power plugs be installed. top molex stops the included heatpipe being installed so i skip it. tested and shipped it lasted 6 hrs in civ5 before it killed the mobo. since its rare we get 2 semidead referb's as doa replacements (no audio on first and screw damage on second one) until we get a new board its a new revision board looks tons better.I ignore the supplement top molex power, stick the extra cooler in, and install msi afterburner with a steep fan curve since those 480's were cooking. works for 4 years until he upgrades and just gives it to us (with all 3 480's and the 980X cpu we charged over 1500 for alone.), it now sits on my desk as a open bench rig as it wont fit in any case.

get a pc in as not working, a quick look and alot of screws are missing so we figure that they have tried to fix it and go right to disassemble. then we notice there are NO SCREWS.. like... even the fan is unscrewed from the heatsink. turns out a autistic kid was around the house unsupervised and removed anything with a philips head. worked fine 30+ screws later.

get a nonbooting pc in. guy has a son father pc build (none of our stuff) and wants it diagnosed. there are so many mistakes, basically anything you could mess up from main atx having the +4 not clipped properly to the 20, the heatsink screwed in backwards somehow, missing standoffs, and thick cables under the mobo. after rebuilding most of it the main error was no atxsup power connected. when he picks it up i learn he works in a datacenter.

im sure ill remember more some day.

Last edited by CirCit; 13th October 2017 at 6:17 PM.
CirCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 6:44 PM   #34
Jazper

I was building a 486dx66 for a customer back in the day, got the motherboard connectors around the wrong way. Thankfully just fried the motherboard, the chip was ok.

My dad was adding a hard drive to a machine (340 meg - yeah long time ago) he couldn't get the 4 pin molex to fit, so he shaved the plug with a small pocket knife and plugged it into the drive. The drive promptly blew up with a bit of smoke.
He should have just turned the plug upside down and tried again....
Old 14th October 2017, 10:52 AM   #35
Madengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant33 View Post
Not me - but a mate,

He had a GTX980, and upgraded to a 1080Ti - expected it to be plug and play, put the card in and was getting worse FPS...

I asked if he did a clean install of the drivers - and he said “why do I have to install drivers? I’m going from NVIDIA to NVIDIA”

Needless to say a quick driver upgrade, and he was smashing the FPS.
That's not too bad. When I first started getting into PC stuff (circa 775/AM3) I put in a CPU the wrong way (AMD 945) and bent all the pins. I didn't pay attention to the little arrow on the CPU, I sat it on the socket and then proceeded to try and clamp it down...
Old 14th October 2017, 11:25 AM   #36
bumography

Let my friends GF put a CPU on the motherboard.

Ended up frying the CPU and MOBO because she didnt put it in in the correct direction and forced it and the clip on.
Old 14th October 2017, 4:25 PM   #37
terroristone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirCit View Post
When i was working (not my fails)

get a pc in as not working, a quick look and alot of screws are missing so we figure that they have tried to fix it and go right to disassemble. then we notice there are NO SCREWS.. like... even the fan is unscrewed from the heatsink. turns out a autistic kid was around the house unsupervised and removed anything with a philips head. worked fine 30+ screws later.
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI VEGA 64 WATER - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 - ACER XR341CK - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9 - G502
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 5:56 PM   #38
Agg
Lord of the Pings

Building a PC on the floor as you do, stood up and fumbled my screwdriver, dropping it point-first from about waist height onto the mobo.. didn't work anymore. This was an MSI 694D Pro I was building into a new OCAU server at the time. :/ Hurried searching turned up an Abit VP6 in the forums to replace it.
Old 14th October 2017, 10:13 PM   #39
callan

Destroying a 486 CPU card into an NEC powermate server. ONSITE at a customer. On a LIVE server that I'd dropped over lunch to replace the sysplanar. (Mainboard, less RAM and CPU)

The CPU cards on these things fit perpendicular to the sysplanar, and the connector has a mass of right-angle uninsulated solid pins that go directly from the CPU board to the (roughly) 300 pin connector. They were arranged in a tight, 3 deep staggered arrangement, separated by nothing but air. The whole connector arrangement was covered in a brittle plastic shroud.
It was a snug fit and in my infinite wisdom I decided to push the connector in place with a philips head screwdriver. The shroud shattered and the screwdriver plunged through, driving a path through this tangle of pins, mangling about 9 of them together.

Now bear in mind that these boards were worth about $3000 in 1991 dollars. Add to that no spares, and a particularly difficult customer.

So there was nothing for it. Still under the desk I muttered some soothing words to the customer, pulled out a pair of tweezers and under torchlight set about unmangling and straightening the pins. (Couldn't do it on the bench: the customer would have seen what I was doing!!) After about 20 minutes All I could do was plug the board back in, (sans shattered shroud), turn the server back on with my fingers crossed and hope like fuck that there were no shorts. Anything from a blank screen to an electrical fire could result.

Server came right back up, and was still in use some years later when I left the firm.

Until tonight I have never told a soul of this..

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven
callan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 11:18 PM   #40
Bourke

7970 MATRIX on a RIV board, coz it had the HOTWIRE thing, easy extreme right, so add the wires n change in Bios, no change in bench/AB, go back into Bios n change again to a bit more, boots n benches then sizzle sizzle POP smoke....I don't think it's deaded but one of those square black things is melted.

Bought a used 3960x , benched air on a RIV board for a while then went sub-zero, ran cold fine but cold bugged, disassembled to cool off, rebuilt n dropped the cpu back in the wrong way, close the gate n crush a few pins, cleaned it all up n it would work but BSOD at random times, RAM issues n finally it would only boot with a black screen, so board crippled n cpu dead.....a paperweight now.

Corsair 750w PSU crypto mining running it at 700w...all PCI leads melted the plastic to the pin
Cougar 950w PSU...miners looked bugged so did a re-boot, after they all loaded up I heard a gunshot, loudest thing ever, a cap blew in the PSU.
Bourke is offline   Reply With Quote