Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Grog & Homebrew

Notices

Old 10th August 2012, 7:29 PM   #1501
Madengineer

What whiskey would you guys suggest to go down nice and smooth? To have with Ice/chilled and has a pleasant taste? (One that you can't actually taste the alcohol in, So no cheap shit)
Old 10th August 2012, 7:46 PM   #1502
Mickatroid

By the time you have it on the rocks relatively cheap scotch will taste OK. A more expensive Ballentines blend would be fine. Not sure about the smokey ones, the cold will dull the fruitiness but leave the smoke quite strong I would think.

You could also try a liquor like Drambuie, it's delicious
Mickatroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 7:48 PM   #1503
Madengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickatroid View Post
By the time you have it on the rocks relatively cheap scotch will taste OK. A more expensive Ballentines blend would be fine. Not sure about the smokey ones, the cold will dull the fruitiness but leave the smoke quite strong I would think.

You could also try a liquor like Drambuie, it's delicious

So there are fruity type whiskeys?
Old 10th August 2012, 8:03 PM   #1504
Mickatroid

Just about any flavour you like Very many scotchs spend their time maturing in sherry barrels so fruitiness is definitely in the offering.

However, the cold will kill fruit flavours (relatively speaking). Googling for whisky appreciation guides will produce zillions.

There are some flavour maps here that might help.

I would suggest you try a Japanese whisky like Suntory's stuff Yamazaki 12 year old perhaps. Just and idea You should do OK with most of the Speyside scotches, they are my favourites as a rule too.
Mickatroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 9:26 PM   #1505
~Spyne~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madengineer View Post
What whiskey would you guys suggest to go down nice and smooth? To have with Ice/chilled and has a pleasant taste? (One that you can't actually taste the alcohol in, So no cheap shit)
By drinking scotch neat (or even on ice) you are drinking 40% alcohol (give or take)....you're gonna taste the 'alcohol', no matter what.
As Mickatroid said though, there are dozens of different flavour profiles; sweet, salty, smoky, floral, nutty, fruity, oily, iodine, peppery, spicy (nutmeg or cinnamon for example), citrusy, and so on.

One of the best ways to find what you like is to go to a good bar and try a few while the barman teaches you about the different whiskies and helps you understand what you are tasting. Chez Regine is probably one of the best in Victoria (if not Australia), unsure about something more local to you.

Personally, I can't stand the Johnnie Walker taste of the Red or Black, but the Green is quite nice. (I haven't tried the Gold or Blue).
Yamazaki (Japan) is definitely a cleaner taste, not a great deal of character, but clean, fresh and a little floral.
Bakery Hill (Australian) do some nice smoky whiskies, but for smoky you can't really go paste Laphroaig or Ardbeg (both Scotland). Lagavulin is another that's quite good (their 16yo is excellent).
Highland region (again, in Scotland) whiskies like Glenmorangie, Highland Park and Talisker can sit in the middle - some are a little smoky, some a little sweet, some a bit of everything. These are often thought of as blander whiskies, but that's generally because they don't always have a very predominant character, they are usually more about balance and subtlety. Some distilleries get this right, others just make a mess of it.
Then there are Irish whiskies which can also sometimes be very good. They are generally considered to be 'lighter' and smoother when drank side-by-side with most Scotch whiskies. Redbreast is quite good (though not the easiest to find).
~Spyne~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 11:38 PM   #1506
Febs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Spyne~ View Post
One of the best ways to find what you like is to go to a good bar and try a few while the barman teaches you about the different whiskies and helps you understand what you are tasting. Chez Regine is probably one of the best in Victoria (if not Australia), unsure about something more local to you.
That's a great idea IMO. In NSW you've got:

http://www.shirtbar.com.au/scotch-club.php
Adam, Louka and Justin run a great monthly tasting, focussing on different regions/whiskies (this week's is Tassie whiskies). They usually get ambassadors or distillers themselves in, so they're educational, fun and good value.

http://www.whiskylive.com.au/
This Wed - great way to try a bunch of whiskies (inc American, Irish, Japanese, Aussie and Indian).

http://www.oakbarrel.com.au/sydney-whisky-fair.html
2-3rd Sept - similar to Whisky Live.

Cheers,
Febs
Old 10th August 2012, 11:43 PM   #1507
jmart38
(Banned or Deleted)

Drinking Jameson tonight. Pretty nice for a cheapie
jmart38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 10:05 PM   #1508
Fraggle

Heading to NZ next weekend and doing some duty free shopping research, it seems Sydney is rather over-priced compared to NZ (even further with 20% discount if signed up for free membership). Does anyone buy theirs in Sydney, or is the general consensus that it is cheaper everywhere else in the world?

eg. Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or 1000ml
NZ Duty Free (with 20% off) = $49 ($69/L)
Sydney Duty Free = $69 ($99/L)
Dan Murphys = $79

Some stuff even seems cheaper to buy without duty free?

eg. Ardberg Corryvreckan
Sydney Duty Free = $144.50
smwhisky.com.au (free delivery) = $137.95

Is this also similar to everyone else's findings?
MACH5 :: i3 530 :: P7H55D-M PRO :: 4GB Dominator :: SS-560KM :: U2311H
Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 10:16 PM   #1509
Febs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
Yep. Unless it's cheap, bulk, low-end spirits (e.g. 1.125L JW Red), Australia is rubbish for DF.
Old 13th August 2012, 9:56 AM   #1510
Badger
Caveat lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
NZ duty free for the win, sign up for the member discount too.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 10:01 AM   #1511
skymist

[QUOTE=~Spyne~;14639410

Personally, I can't stand the Johnnie Walker taste of the Red or Black, but the Green is quite nice. (I haven't tried the Gold or Blue).
Yamazaki (Japan) is definitely a cleaner taste, not a great deal of character, but clean, fresh and a little floral.
Bakery Hill (Australian) do some nice smoky whiskies, but for smoky you can't really go paste Laphroaig or Ardbeg (both Scotland). Lagavulin is another that's quite good (their 16yo is excellent).
Highland region (again, in Scotland) whiskies like Glenmorangie, Highland Park and Talisker can sit in the middle - some are a little smoky, some a little sweet, some a bit of everything. These are often thought of as blander whiskies, but that's generally because they don't always have a very predominant character, they are usually more about balance and subtlety. Some distilleries get this right, others just make a mess of it.
Then there are Irish whiskies which can also sometimes be very good. They are generally considered to be 'lighter' and smoother when drank side-by-side with most Scotch whiskies. Redbreast is quite good (though not the easiest to find).[/QUOTE]

This guy speaks the truth. I had my birthday drinks at Chez Regine last year and had a grand old time. I remember being very impressed with the Bakery Hill drop but most of loved one of the Japanese whiskys they had. I can't remember which one it was but it was something like $35 a nip. Delicious.

One of the best whisky bar's I been to, anoter bar that came close if the Lufthansa FCT bar at Frankfurt. 86 different varieties and a barman that that knew his stuff
skymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 10:14 AM   #1512
evilasdeath

Chez Regine is a great place to go try whiskeys

They do whiskey tasking quite often I did a Japanese tasting a few months ago, they are currently undergoing renovations thou so not sure when they will start up again. I just hope they don't put to much new stuff in there since the aroma in that place is fantastic.

The guy there is very knowledgeable about whiskeys, however his Japanese geography is pretty bad.
evilasdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 12:44 PM   #1513
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febs View Post
Yep. Unless it's cheap, bulk, low-end spirits (e.g. 1.125L JW Red), Australia is rubbish for DF.
Yeah its always a last resort for me, and if I do buy there I Just buy standard stuff because nothing expensive is worth it.
Old 13th August 2012, 9:30 PM   #1514
Fraggle

Thanks for the feedback Febs & Badger already signed up

Shortlist is down to:
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig Cask Strength
Glenfiddich 15YO Solera Reserve
Glenfiddich 15YO Distillery

Tried a Laphroaig (along with Signet) for the first time on Friday night and was something I'd like to explore more of (have only tried Nectar D'Or, and Dalwhinnie previously).

Just wondering if there is enough differentiation between each of the Laphroaigs and Glenfiddichs to grab each from anyone who's had the luxury of tasting either?
MACH5 :: i3 530 :: P7H55D-M PRO :: 4GB Dominator :: SS-560KM :: U2311H
Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 8:08 AM   #1515
millsy_c

I found duty free in Brisbane was effectively you got 1L for the price of 700mL.

Unless you got the rubbish stuff of course
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote