Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Grog & Homebrew

Notices

Old 19th February 2007, 5:34 PM   #151
Icepic2005

[QUOTE=Neverborn;6962398]Ah awesome - a scotch thread! I love the stuff!

I've been highly impressed by the following:

Glenmorangie 10
Glenmorangie Madeira Wood Finish (remarkable taste)
Isle of Jura (named after me!)

JW Gold
JW Blue
Chivas 18

I also like to drink blended and single malts.
Ill finish a bottle in about a week, depending how much i like it.
Attached is a short list of scotch and mixers i have on hand currently.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...=544382&page=2
DUAL E5 2697 V2 | 128GB ECC | ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS | Asus R9 290x CF 4 Way | 4 x intel 730 480gb drives raid0 | Corsair 900D | Silverstone1500W + Corsair 1500i | 2 x Samsung 590d | 16X DVD Burner | LG Bluray Burner
Icepic2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 8:08 AM   #152
Neverborn

A bottle in a week - wow! and v. nice collection there
Neverborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:40 PM   #153
Wimmig

Current home whisky's

Abelour 10yo
Famous Grous 1987
Bruichladdich Infinity 30yo (1st edition)
Laphroaig 10yo
Laphroaig 20yo Test Casking (Refill Sherry)
Glenlivit 21yo "The Archive"
Bruichladdich 10yo
Bruichladdich 1989 (new/old sherry cask)
Jamison 12yo Distillery only bottle (solera cask)
Johnnie Walker red, black, green, gold, blue, grey
Isle of Jura 10yo
Isle of Jura Superstition
Chivas Regal 12yo, 18yo, 21yo
Glenkinche 10yo, 15yo, 21yo, 30yo
Macallan 10yo, 12yo, 15yo (trial run), 20yo, 24yo (trial run), 30yo

I'm sure there is another 20 or so units waiting to be opened, but enough are open for now. Need my friends to come over more often to make some more space.

Before any questions are asked, i work in the liqour industry.

Last edited by Wimmig; 22nd February 2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Update
Wimmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 2:38 AM   #154
siamsam

Some nice collections listed pity I drink mine before I get a chance to store them. I have a bottle of JW blue label and a bottle of wild turkey 12 year old at the moment and a few cans of Chang beer in the fridge and that about does it for my collection. Just out of interest I think the JW gold is much better than the blue label.
Wimmig you listed a JW grey I have never heard of this label in the JW lineup are you sure it is not a typo?
cheers
Sam.
siamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 8:34 AM   #155
Neverborn

Wimmig, which do you prefer between the Isle of Jura 10 yr old and superstition?

I had a bottle of the 10 yr old which i loved, and i'm going to buy another bottle in march.. but was wondering if i should head for the superstition instead.. it seems to be a bit more 'mainstream'..
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:11 PM   #156
Wimmig

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamsam View Post
Some nice collections listed pity I drink mine before I get a chance to store them. I have a bottle of JW blue label and a bottle of wild turkey 12 year old at the moment and a few cans of Chang beer in the fridge and that about does it for my collection. Just out of interest I think the JW gold is much better than the blue label.
Wimmig you listed a JW grey I have never heard of this label in the JW lineup are you sure it is not a typo?
cheers
Sam.

J/W Grey is an industry only bottle distributed by the J/W company to members who attend, work with or are good friends [bribe] members of said company. It's not a retail bottle, and is not available for sale. If you found information available on it, somebody is not keeping silent. A retail version exists, in high value called J/W Charcoal and can be purchased if you are a life member of the J/W appreciation society.

BTW...it's not that great. Then again though what J/W more than $50 is? Give me a J/W blue with coke, i always specify at tastings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverborn View Post
Wimmig, which do you prefer between the Isle of Jura 10 yr old and superstition?

I had a bottle of the 10 yr old which i loved, and i'm going to buy another bottle in march.. but was wondering if i should head for the superstition instead.. it seems to be a bit more 'mainstream'..
The superstition is a multi year blend of different cask whiskys from the Jura distillery. I find it to be a bit sweater (sherry casking influence). It is slightly more refined (if you like softer styles) and prefers to reside on the rear of the palate. The 10y/o is "ok" for Jura, but i don't think it's their specialty (too much new oak).

If you want a fairly big, smoky 10yo then go with the Bruichladdich 10y/o. It's a great buy.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:25 PM   #157
fo3
(Taking a Break)

I don't understand the johnny walker scotch. They make a few cheap ones then try and sell these hell expensive ones that everyone seems rave about just because they cost so much.
What's the point, why pay hundreds for a bottle of JW when you have the older tranditional distilleries heaps cheaper? I'd rather have a Laphroaig, lagavulin, macallan, Glenmorangie, cragganmore, oban et. al. for less than a JW blue or gold.
fo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 8:07 PM   #158
siamsam

Thanks for the info Wimmig.
I agree with you fo3 there are much better scotch out there than the JW lineup but I still dont mind the gold. Some of my favourites would be Macallan, Glenlivet, and Glenmorangie to name a few. I have tasted a lot of the different Macallan in a whisky bar in Singapore, two nights of tasting cost me $600 but was well worth it.
Sam
siamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 11:48 AM   #159
Wimmig

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamsam View Post
Thanks for the info Wimmig.
I agree with you fo3 there are much better scotch out there than the JW lineup but I still dont mind the gold. Some of my favourites would be Macallan, Glenlivet, and Glenmorangie to name a few. I have tasted a lot of the different Macallan in a whisky bar in Singapore, two nights of tasting cost me $600 but was well worth it.
Sam
There is nothing wrong with premium J/W. It still is a PREMIUM product. And as such, is much better than alot of other products in it's bracket.

If you want to get a deep appreciation of products such as Whisky keep an eye out for whisky master class tastings held by vintage cellars...i hear some new ones are just around the corner...include dinner...the entire brand portfolio of a major distillery...costs $70aus...and you get a bottle to take home.

Not that i would say something like that...
Old 25th February 2007, 2:11 PM   #160
Ma Baker
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimmig View Post
There is nothing wrong with premium J/W. It still is a PREMIUM product. And as such, is much better than alot of other products in it's bracket.

If you want to get a deep appreciation of products such as Whisky keep an eye out for whisky master class tastings held by vintage cellars...i hear some new ones are just around the corner...include dinner...the entire brand portfolio of a major distillery...costs $70aus...and you get a bottle to take home.

Do you know if any of these are going to be held in Melbourne? If so, any idea when or where I can find out please?
Old 25th February 2007, 11:26 PM   #161
Wimmig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Baker View Post
Do you know if any of these are going to be held in Melbourne? If so, any idea when or where I can find out please?
There will be tastings held in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
Old 27th February 2007, 10:50 AM   #162
Neverborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimmig View Post

What's the general mix of attendees like? older? experienced and looking for more info? beginners?

And a link for those interested...: http://www.vintagecellars.com.au/scr...t=true#Results

Last edited by Neverborn; 27th February 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 28th February 2007, 8:08 AM   #163
Neverborn

Is anyone a member of:

the Scotch Malt Whisky Society??

http://www.smws.com.au/pages/index.php
Old 28th February 2007, 4:19 PM   #164
groopa

Hey does anyone know where I can grab a bottle of Macallan sherry oak (10 or 12 yr - prefer 12) anywhere in Aus? Or even a bottle of the Elegencia without having to leave the country? All the duty free stores sell the Elegencia here, but won't sell it to me unless I'm travelling even if I pay the tax

Cheers.
groopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 8:49 PM   #165
Officer Farva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverborn View Post
Is anyone a member of:

the Scotch Malt Whisky Society??

http://www.smws.com.au/pages/index.php
i'm tempted to join this. i only joined the single malt whisky club but this one looks quite good. although its $195 for the first year and that doesnt really give you anything except a 700ml bottle of the "society's" single malt. whatever that is, but i guess it would probably be pretty good. other than that you dont get much, but their cask strength bottles are fucking expensive, like $200+, but they would be very very good.

i'm wondering if its worth joining, anyone else a member??? i would love to know!
"Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Fire." -Prof. Alan Watts
Officer Farva is offline   Reply With Quote