Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Grog & Homebrew

Notices

Old 26th August 2017, 4:34 AM   #3301
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Adding water to whisky? Hmmmm, just seems wrong to me.
Old 26th August 2017, 6:56 AM   #3302
Plax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Adding water to whisky? Hmmmm, just seems wrong to me.
Just give a few drops with a cask strength whisky where you think the flavour is overbearing and your eyes will be opened. For me I enjoy trying two or three drops of water just to have fun identifying the change whether it's less or some subtle flavours come out .
Addicted to folding club member #8080
Plax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2017, 1:50 PM   #3303
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plax View Post
Just give a few drops with a cask strength whisky where you think the flavour is overbearing and your eyes will be opened. For me I enjoy trying two or three drops of water just to have fun identifying the change whether it's less or some subtle flavours come out .
Ok, well I'll take your word for it. personally I hate whisky with water, but I'll give this a go I guess.
Old 26th August 2017, 5:57 PM   #3304
~Spyne~

Quote:
Ok, well I'll take your word for it. personally I hate whisky with water, but I'll give this a go I guess.
At what ABV %? Because, you know a 52% whiskey has more WATER in it compared to, say, a 60% whiskey...so you always prefer higher ABV whiskies?
By your logic, you must hate ALL whiskies as none are 100%, therefore all have water in them...
~Spyne~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2017, 7:47 PM   #3305
zeropluszero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Spyne~ View Post
By your logic, you must hate ALL whiskies as none are 100%, therefore all have water in them...
You must be a riot at parties.
Another freezer's words of wisdom
zeropluszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2017, 7:48 PM   #3306
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Spyne~ View Post
I really don't understand what you are getting at.
Old 5th September 2017, 8:49 AM   #3307
Smegenstein

Quote:
I really don't understand what you are getting at.
Whisky is made mostly of water is what he was getting at. The difference being the distiller waters down the whisky to what they think is the best flavor, the person drinking it might prefer less ethanol burn.
Also no whisky will ever be 100% alcohol, it's rarely going to come out of the barrel above 70% often a bit less.

There are not many whiskies I would water down, I prefer cask strength whisky as it is normally. Every now and then I might find one where I think the ethanol/alcohol burn is a bit up there, I might put a couple of drops in then to hopefully push that back a bit and bring up some of the whisky flavours.

Forgot to opt out of whisky club, woops! Looks like I am getting a bottle of Canadian whisky in the next couple of weeks :P
2500k @ 4.5 (Bench @ 4.8)|| ASRock Extreme4 Gen 3 Z68 || 4 x 4GB GSkill Ripjaws || 128GB Crucial M4 || 2TB Cuda || HIS 7950 Currently Stock (Bench at 1100/1575) || Corsair AX750M || Coolermaster HAF 932 Advance

My Movember: http://mobro.co/12566769
Smegenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 10:09 AM   #3308
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegenstein View Post
Whisky is made mostly of water is what he was getting at.
I think there is a bit of difference between when water is mixed during the process to produce the final product, than simply just adding it as a consumer. I've had water added to whiskey before, tastes awful, to me at least.
Old 5th September 2017, 10:12 AM   #3309
zeropluszero

I wont buy a whisky under 46% ever again.
Old 5th September 2017, 10:35 AM   #3310
connico

Quote:
I think there is a bit of difference between when water is mixed during the process to produce the final product, than simply just adding it as a consumer. I've had water added to whiskey before, tastes awful, to me at least.
A drop or two of distilled water should make any whiskey taste disgusting...
Old 7th September 2017, 8:28 AM   #3311
Smegenstein

Quote:
Not claiming otherwise, I was just telling you the point I believed he was trying to make.

I generally drink my whisky without added water, at a tasting though I may try the last little bit of a dram with some, it is a tasting after all.
2500k @ 4.5 (Bench @ 4.8)|| ASRock Extreme4 Gen 3 Z68 || 4 x 4GB GSkill Ripjaws || 128GB Crucial M4 || 2TB Cuda || HIS 7950 Currently Stock (Bench at 1100/1575) || Corsair AX750M || Coolermaster HAF 932 Advance

Old 13th October 2017, 12:39 AM   #3312
Deftone2k
In the Darkroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegenstein View Post
Not claiming otherwise, I was just telling you the point I believed he was trying to make.

I generally drink my whisky without added water, at a tasting though I may try the last little bit of a dram with some, it is a tasting after all.
I love without, but also really like having a few drops on a glass from a new bottle to see the change in characteristics and flavours.

Some surprise me and take it to a different level.

The joys of having your own taste buds I guess
Deftone2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 3:07 PM   #3313
Smegenstein

Revisited a sample I tried back in 2014. Unbottled Lark double sherry matured beast (we got a sample of it, but it never got bottled they let it age further IIRC). Mate of mine had a single vial (like 50ml bottle) put aside for me for a special occasion, gave it to me on the weekend - still one of the tastiest, if not tastiest, drams I have ever drank to date.

Also got gifted a bottle of the 2010 Bruichladdich Islay Barley which I will probably crack soon!

Old 16th October 2017, 3:28 PM   #3314
zeropluszero

I bought a bunch of samples from smwhisky of cheap bottlings to see what I could get away with for a daily, but been drinking so much stuff over 46%, drinking anything at 40 is just watery.
Old Yesterday, 1:19 AM   #3315
Febs

Had a trip to Japan recently. 9 nights straight of dramming.

I think I did alright...

https://www.facebook.com/TimeforWhis...61323130563560

https://www.facebook.com/TimeforWhis...51469644882242

(Lots of amazing drams, but that Black Bowmore 3rd edition was just....incredible)