Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Grog & Homebrew

Notices

Old 24th November 2005, 12:05 AM   #31
fo3
(Taking a Break)

I was thinking of joining, but most of the ones I'm interested in trying has already been sent out. I might go see what I can buy at the bottleshops in perth and try them first, then join next year.
fo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 12:10 AM   #32
Jarmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo3
God no. Just get a nice bottle of scotch, one of the brands mentioned here, the rarer and older the better, and don't skimp, the indians know their scotch. You'll be getting it duty free so you could grab a bargain. (my lagavulin only cost me $30 5 years ago, and it retails for $80)
Thank you. Yes from what I have heard this man knows his whisky.

Never been to international airports before. So I am assuming that there is duty free bottleshops in the airports or something? If this is the case I will just get it when I get off the plane.

In india most things are less than a third of the price than Australia, however don't know if that applies to good quality whisky.
Jarmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 7:17 AM   #33
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmus
So is there anything Australian in the whiskey range?

I kinda think an australian brand would be a nice guesture, whats your thoughts?
There is 'Tom Cobb Australian Spirit' which claims to be some evolution of moonshine saddlebag whiskies from the gold rush days. The fact that it is a whisky is debatable. To provide a bottle of this would bring great shame on our nation.

Australia pretty much only does Wine, Beer and Rum and some vodka. Although this is a lot better than those horrid wine based apertifs (dodgy blue curacao, butterscotch shnapps etc) that New Zealand pumps out

Last edited by Steve; 24th November 2005 at 7:36 AM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 8:17 AM   #34
TOX

I joined the club last night aswell

Got a call and now looking forward to my first bottle.

If I just went into a bottlo I would probably just end up at the johnny walker black atleast this forces me to try differant drops
TOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 12:27 PM   #35
Badger
Caveat lector

Quote:
I am going to india to meet my girlfriends parents for christmass. Her father likes whisky. I was going to get him a bottle of Bundy Rum, but he really likes whisky not rum. So is there anything Australian in the whiskey range?

I kinda think an australian brand would be a nice guesture, whats your thoughts?

Any helpfull hints appreciated.
There is a distillery in hobart that makes whisky, I've been there and tried it, but I couldn't really tell you how good it was, as it was many years ago (on my honeymoon).

linky

(apparently there are two, despite the one I visited claiming it was the only distillery in Australia)
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 7:52 PM   #36
fo3
(Taking a Break)

Just went to my local, the range is pretty small, (It used to have lagavulin and dalwhinnie), but the prices are good. They have Oban for $83, and laphroaig for $76, so I might grab them for now. I'll keep looking for dalwhinnie, cragganmore and talisker at other shops around me, and join the singlemalt club after feb next year.

Last edited by fo3; 24th November 2005 at 7:53 PM.
Old 24th November 2005, 8:29 PM   #37
Datsun 1600

The one I want to try is Highland Park, if anyone sees it can they PM me.

Datsun 1600
G6950, ECS H55H-I, 8Gb G-Skill Sniper 1600
Datsun 1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 9:47 PM   #38
Jarmus

Ok I will just go for a good quality scotch.

So i should be able to pick it up duty free from the airport in india right?
Jarmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 10:59 PM   #39
orbisfactor

i've only had JW red/black and JD #7. have to say that the JD tastes better imo, maybe coz it aint blended? tempted to join the whiskey club, be nice to get some good stuff to try
Old 24th November 2005, 11:36 PM   #40
fo3
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Ok I will just go for a good quality scotch.

So i should be able to pick it up duty free from the airport in india right?
I don't think anyone here knows, because we haven't been to india. I doubt it would be heaps cheaper, as the duty free shops price things for tourists, also you never know what type of range they have there, (should be good as scotch is popular there, but you never know). Also you'd score brownie points if you bought a scotch here that wasn't even available there, and he'd be extra impressed. I reckon for the sake of saving $10 or so, play it safe and by a bottle of dalwhinnie here, unless you get someone replying to you who's been there and knows they have good stuff there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbisfactor
i've only had JW red/black and JD #7. have to say that the JD tastes better imo, maybe coz it aint blended? tempted to join the whiskey club, be nice to get some good stuff to try
tennessee whiskey is a long way from scotch, it's closer to irish whiskeys. Try some jamesons, tullamore dew, bushmills or even some canadian whiskey (Haven't seen any premuim canadian whiskies in AU, just CC, but there's a nice 12 yo canadian club)
Proper scotches are just made with malt, blended scotches are mixed with grain alcohol (pure spirits) to be cheaper. All cheap whiskey made in the US including JD is blended with grain alcohol as well. The only difference to you between JW and JD is you prefer the sweeter US style, thats OK, so did I.
I weened myself onto scotches by going through irish whiskey first (and still have this over any blended scotch), it's a good in between step, sweeter than scotch, and higher quality than JD or regular bourbons. It's worth getting the taste for, as their is a lot of different scotches, and a lot of history behind them.

Last edited by fo3; 25th November 2005 at 1:16 AM.
Old 25th November 2005, 6:24 AM   #41
NaCr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo3
I don't think anyone here knows, because we haven't been to india. I doubt it would be heaps cheaper, as the duty free shops price things for tourists, also you never know what type of range they have there, (should be good as scotch is popular there, but you never know). Also you'd score brownie points if you bought a scotch here that wasn't even available there, and he'd be extra impressed. I reckon for the sake of saving $10 or so, play it safe and by a bottle of dalwhinnie here, unless you get someone replying to you who's been there and knows they have good stuff there.

tennessee whiskey is a long way from scotch, it's closer to irish whiskeys. Try some jamesons, tullamore dew, bushmills or even some canadian whiskey (Haven't seen any premuim canadian whiskies in AU, just CC, but there's a nice 12 yo canadian club)
Proper scotches are just made with malt, blended scotches are mixed with grain alcohol (pure spirits) to be cheaper. All cheap whiskey made in the US including JD is blended with grain alcohol as well. The only difference to you between JW and JD is you prefer the sweeter US style, thats OK, so did I.
I weened myself onto scotches by going through irish whiskey first (and still have this over any blended scotch), it's a good in between step, sweeter than scotch, and higher quality than JD or regular bourbons. It's worth getting the taste for, as their is a lot of different scotches, and a lot of history behind them.

Ace description
OCAU Pink Floyd Fan #27
OCAU OFFICIAL CHAIR RAVER'S SOCIETY MEMBER #4
NaCr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 11:12 AM   #42
groopa

Well I just signed up as well. Looking forward to mid December now - just in time for chrissie!

Already started the viral marketing with all of my friends so hopefully a few of them will sign up. I was just speaking to Andy of www.singlemalt.com.au and he was saying that they are getting to the stage where they'll be able to buy direct from the distilleries in Scotland thus cutting out the middle man distributor and lowering the costs again. Also have access to some of the distilleries that would never have been seen in Aus which would be good.

All this talk of whisky is making me thirsty. Might need to go down to the pub at lunch for a quick nip!

Danthemanz - I think you should get a spotters prize or something for the amount of signups from OCAU they are sure to get
groopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 11:53 AM   #43
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by groopa
Danthemanz - I think you should get a spotters prize or something for the amount of signups from OCAU they are sure to get
Hehe, they are very happy with me over at Singlemalt.com.au...
Im not in it for free stuff, i just want people to join up so we can start getting cheaper and better whiskies! After all this is a non profit club designed for nothing more than appreciating and discussing the finest drink on Earth

Any one else interested in joining up?
Feel free to PM if anyone has any questions or check out singlemalt.com.au...
Old 25th November 2005, 12:28 PM   #44
Predator

Thanks for the link Dan. Just joined up as well (as in 5 mins ago, so no call yet). Looking forward to getting some drops from them.
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 12:50 PM   #45
TOX

I signed up

I got my fingers crossed they got a spare bottle of this months
TOX is offline   Reply With Quote