Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food > Geek Grog & Homebrew

Notices

Old 1st December 2005, 5:09 PM   #61
Dilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholemewh
Are single malt whiskeys really that much better than blends? I drink a lot of JW Red in the clubs with coke. If I am mixing it with coke is there a point in single malt? If I want something better than red I generally drink JW Black or Chivas Regal 12 (which I like the more than black).

I might consider getting some better scotches just to drink on the rocks before going out. If I join the club can I only order every 2nd month to start? I don't know if I can drink a bottle on the rocks per month.

BartholemewH.

EDIT: Yes I know JW Red tastes pretty shit, even mixed with coke. If anyone has a better idea for mixers I'm all ears.

Mixing a single malt with anything except a few drops of water is a big no no.
Your blends are good for mixers. Scotch and Coke is a scurge that should be removed. But scotch and dry is great. Use whichever blend you prefer with it. I find drinking single malts on the rocks weakens the taste. Add a few drops of water to release the flavour no more. That or have it neat.

Who do u serve? and who do u trust???
Dilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 5:40 PM   #62
Deeman
Vagrant.

http://www.johnniewalker.com.au/welc...0&cfid=2470763

Get onto their 'Journey of taste' (link redirects, click the 'Journey of taste at the top'. Some interesting facts, and quite a few free shots of various JW blends.

Perhaps an OCAU group meet would be an idea?

(I've done it before, but i'd do it again). You actually get quite a bit to drink, and if you can manage to down that much straight scotch, you'll end up fairly cheery by the end of the event!

I tried JW blue thanks to the boss recently, but was underwhelmed. Tennessee whiskey is where it's at - <3 for Gentleman Jack!

Last edited by Deeman; 1st December 2005 at 5:42 PM.
Deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 6:00 PM   #63
TOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholemewh
I might consider getting some better scotches just to drink on the rocks before going out. If I join the club can I only order every 2nd month to start? I don't know if I can drink a bottle on the rocks per month.
There is no rule that it must be finished by the time the next bottle comes.

I intend on building a nice collection of scotches
TOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 10:43 PM   #64
fox1

girlscout has shown me the light, well jameson. god dam its smooth. nice with coke and even better with lemonade.

I know its not like $80 a bottle but its dam tasty.
Old 1st December 2005, 10:50 PM   #65
xian Thread Starter

Agreed with the others, don't mix cheap scotch with coke, it really ruins the taste. Dash lemonade is ok and dry is much better.

Other cheap whiskies - as I've said I prefer Grouse as my cheap whisky of choice, either that or J & B (green bottle with yellow label). Other good blendeds are the Balvenie, Baillie Nicol Jarvie or Bells.
Old 1st December 2005, 11:11 PM   #66
arytel

Of those that just joined the single malt purchasing group, has anyone recieved their first bottle yet??

Originally it was mentioned that this months bottle was still available but I still don't know if this is confirmed or not. Well nothings been placed on the ccard.
arytel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 8:36 AM   #67
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Email Andy or Brad and ask.
AFAIK this months had allready been sent out...
Old 2nd December 2005, 8:39 AM   #68
TOX

They posted that had a few bottles from the last 2 months I picked up 1
Old 2nd December 2005, 9:20 AM   #69
Badger
Caveat lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert
Mixing a single malt with anything except a few drops of water is a big no no.
Your blends are good for mixers. Scotch and Coke is a scurge that should be removed. But scotch and dry is great. Use whichever blend you prefer with it. I find drinking single malts on the rocks weakens the taste. Add a few drops of water to release the flavour no more. That or have it neat.
Listen to this man. I only ever drink whisky by itself. putting ice in it not only dilutes it when the ice melts (which is ok for some really strong malts) but also cools it down, which means the volatiles (flavours) don't evaporate out of the drink, and you don't get the whole taste/smell.

If you are drinking it before the ice melts, you aren't savouring it enough

I find that chilling makes crappy drinks taste better - ie west end, but good drinks don't need to be chilled.

My homebrew stout and amber ale I drink at or just below room temp (in summer I keep them in the fridge, but take them out 20 minutes before drinking them).

I'd never mix coke with anything, as I don't like coke. If you want to reduce your alcohol intake and/or expense, drink your whisky, and have a glass of water (or a soft drink if you must) as well.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2005, 4:58 AM   #70
GarethB

I haven't read every single post in this thread, but there are several whisky distilleries in operation here in Aust (although I can't say I've tried any of their products yet).

Bakery Hill, Balwyn, Melb. http://bakeryhilldistillery.com/
Tasmania Distillery, Cambridge, Tas. http://www.tasdistillery.com.au/
Lark Distillery, Hobart, Tas. http://www.larkdistillery.com.au/

There have been a few others, including one in Darwin for a couple of years, but these three seem to be the only ones operating commercially at the moment in Aust.

Edit to add Small Concern Whisky Distillery, Cradle Mountain, Tas. http://www.tasmanianwhisky.com.au/

And some notes about these and a couple of other distilleries in Aust and NZ. http://www.uisgebeatha.org/antipodeanwhisky.html

Also worth having a look at is www.mwsoa.org.au It's not a buying club like the other one mentioned in this thread, it's an appreciation society that runs an annual tasting and awards competition for malt whiskys.

Another Aust whisky appreciation club/society, http://www.smws.com.au/ From what I can gather, this group appears to buy whiskey by the cask direct from the producers and bottles it themselves for members.

Last edited by GarethB; 5th December 2005 at 9:40 PM.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 12:13 AM   #71
xian Thread Starter

Ok well holidays are over. Just went on a tour through western highlands and Isle of Skye, thought we were going to visit a distillery but didn't (oh well).

Tour guide did explain something about whiskies, I wasn't paying much attention. Basically that speyside distilleries tend to make whiskies with a lower 'intensity' of taste (there is actually a measurement, I'm not sure if its intensity but thats what I understood anyway), but this makes them much easier to drink for those starting out on malt whiskies.

So saying he produced a bottle of Tamdhu 10 and we slowly finished off that bottle over the next couple of days, and I have to say he's right. Compared to the islay stuff we tasted (Talisker 10, Jura etc) the Tamdhu 10 tasted really nice the second it hit your tongue. I find it difficult to explain but the crux of it is I would suggest having a go at Tamdhu or other speyside malts if you get a chance!
Old 8th December 2005, 10:01 AM   #72
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Yes, Speyside/Highlands malts are best to start with.
There are plently of highly flavorsome Speyside/Highlands malts, they just arenít as smokey or peaty...
Personally i prefer the Speyside/Highlands malts, but thats just me.
I am starting to enjoy my Lagavulin (Islay), but only when i feel like something thats going to blow away my taste buds. This monthís malt, the Glenmorangie is the total opposite. No smoke or peat, almost sweet in a way, VERY easy to sit down and drink...
Old 13th December 2005, 5:17 PM   #73
chicken-

I just joined singlemalt.com.au nice to see a bunch of OCAU members there. Glenmorangie + glasses (they are out of the bonus mini cask strength bottles.) are on the way, glad I found this thread in time for christmas.
Old 13th December 2005, 5:19 PM   #74
TOX

I have got the 750ml bottle of Glenmorangie, and a full 750ml bottle of Lagavulin coming to me. He said I might have by the weekend

Heres to hoping so

I think it might be a relaxing saturday night
Old 13th December 2005, 5:42 PM   #75
Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOX
I have got the 750ml bottle of Glenmorangie, and a full 750ml bottle of Lagavulin coming to me. He said I might have by the weekend

Heres to hoping so

I think it might be a relaxing saturday night
Same here. I sure hope the Lagavulin lives up to its reputation.
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote