Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Holidays & Travel

Notices

Old 18th September 2017, 3:44 PM   #1
Zzapped Thread Starter

Default Breaking my Bali virginity next week

So after many years of not going, im going, Seminyak to be precise...........what to look out for, apart from the obvious boogie board bags
Originally Posted by Agg
another great contribution from zzapped .
Zzapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 1:21 AM   #2
Witters

Bali is an awesome place. Locals are very friendly and welcoming. If you're after a relaxing holiday don't spend too much time in the touristy, overcrowded bars in Kuta.
I recommend Ubud for a day trip at least.
It helps if you know a few basic Indonesian words to ward off the market hawkers. E.g No, thankyou. etc...

Other than that just relax and have fun in the sun.
Witters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 8:11 AM   #3
Stooge007

my thread had a few good tips - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1137528

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 3:02 PM   #4
Dre_

Oh yeah, I'm heading to Ubud tomorrow.
Dre_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 10:40 AM   #5
neRok

I just got back from Bali. Free visa at the moment, which is good.
Make sure you got travel insurance, because the volcano is grumbling.
Dont get off the plane drunk, seeing as its your first time. I did that my first time, and I was confused as fuck with regards to the money and where to go Lucky I was with ppl who had been before.
Stick to bottled water, and always carry one around with you to keep hydrated. It's about $1/L (10,000rp) from the deli's. Also, if you are getting tea/coffee from somewhere other than your hotel, make sure the water they use in that is bottle water too. This is more important if you leave the southern areas and travel north, where it is less 'built-up'.
It was 30C every day I was there, so hot, but not terribly so. Sunscreen is a rip ($15/150,000rp for a small bottle), so either take some in check-in luggage, or find some small bottles here (you can only take 100ml containers in carry-on).
Unless you pre-organise something, change $50 (500,000rp) at airport (probably cheaper to do so at Bali) to pay for a taxi. Blue Bird are the reputable taxi company, but there is another that does their best to look the same. I've never had a problem with either though. When you get in, either ask if it's on the meter, or negotiate a price. Don't just wing it, that's opening yourself up to getting scammed. Airport to Seminyak would normally cost ~$7/70,000rp (based on distance/time), but they like to stiff you for a large fixed rate, and are very reluctant to negotiate. Expect to pay 150-200k rp.
We scootered everywhere this holiday (everywhere being places between Kuta and Seminyak ), which I enjoyed way more than I thought I would (I was actually hesitant to do so at all). I would stick to taxis for the first day or 2 though, to get a feel for how their traffic works. We did have a man down though, but he was being dumb and stacked it on a corner, luckily on a road with no traffic at the time. A fractured foot was his punishment!
Regarding day to day money, I just change and carry $100AUD (1,000,000rp) every day, which usually covers me. Many places in Seminyak have cocktails around 130k rp though, so if you are planning a big session at such a place, either bring CC or more cash. If you go to Potato Head, expect to pay even more. Some other ppl with me were just pulling out $200 a time from an ATM (comes out in RP, gets a decent rate, no hassle). With the changers on the street, just find a joint with a good sign. The better quality the sign, the more likely you won't get shafted. My hotel was changing at $1=10,000rp, which isn't great because you can get $1=10,500rp on the streets no worries. Nice and safe at the hotel tough. When they are changing, get them to do it slow so you can keep up, and once they have counted a stack of say 1mil, don't let them touch it again, because that's when they like to swipe some. Don't sign the piece of paper until after you've got the money in your hands/wallet either.
Most importantly, Bintang should cost ~25k rp (typical deli price). Some bars and restaurants might go up to mid-30's, which is ok for a pop-in. Some shit holes will try sell for 40+, which you should take no part in.

Last edited by neRok; 20th September 2017 at 10:50 AM.
neRok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 10:48 AM   #6
RyoSaeba

Not sure if it's still the case, but last time I went the Airport Tax are collected at the airport for arrival and departure and they only take USD. Make sure you have correct change for that.
RyoSaeba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 10:49 AM   #7
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neRok View Post
I just got back from Bali. Free visa at the moment, which is good.
Make sure you got travel insurance, because the volcano is grumbling.
Don't think you would want to travel anywhere without insurance anyways, regardless of volcanos.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:05 AM   #8
RyoSaeba

Speaking of insurance, heard on the news this morning that some insurer are refusing to either sell or honor travel insurance to Bali due to volcano activity. So even if you have bought it already, would be wise to double check if it's still valid.
RyoSaeba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 11:50 AM   #9
dragonFLAME

I'm in Semi on the 30th!

OCAU Bali meet up?
dragonFLAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 6:59 PM   #10
wordplay

always a nice thought to pay respects at the site of the old sari club. RIP.
wordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 7:58 AM   #11
Daft_Munt

With Agung about to go pop I wouldnt book anything for the next 6 months. Last time it erupted it went for almost a year.
Daft_Munt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 11:25 AM   #12
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft_Munt View Post
With Agung about to go pop I wouldnt book anything for the next 6 months. Last time it erupted it went for almost a year.
Yup. Looks almost certain it's gonna blow.
Old 26th September 2017, 5:53 AM   #13
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Doesn't seem to be effecting numbers travelling there.
Old 26th September 2017, 6:13 AM   #14
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Doesn't seem to be effecting numbers travelling there.
Volcano selfies? Who can resist that???
Old 26th September 2017, 6:20 AM   #15
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Volcano selfies? Who can resist that???
Should you travel there with the looming threat?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...-agung/8980904