Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th April 2017, 3:19 PM   #16
Arctic_Silver08

Google Drive would be my recommendation, you can use it with Google photos as well (For backups)...

I've had dropbox in the past and whenever I move folders around, it would re-upload them which would take forever... Google drive was smart enough to know that I had just moved the folder and would re-sync appropriately, heaps quicker... This might have changed though.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th April 2017, 5:09 PM   #17
miicah

No official gdrive linux client though?

Also I can't pay for extra storage via google play, which is pretty dumb.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 9:28 PM   #18
oh_noes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackolow View Post
I was thinking Amazon Cloud... but reading up on crashplan and carbonite as well.
I'm curious if any of these focus more on archiving? I'd love to be able to point a local folder to the cloud and tell it to move everything to it. Even more points if it keeps a stub locally and provided some kind of optimised remote access (so I can browse those files in explorer while still being stored remotely).
oh_noes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 7:06 PM   #19
Jackolow Thread Starter

What do you mean around archiving? Like it's more around backing up rather than having cloud access?

I guess archiving would mean a more value orientated product? I don't really need cloud access that Amazon provides... but it doesn't hurt.

I always thought Crashplan and Carbonite did exactly that - you point your hard drive to the cloud and it uploads that folder (kind of like drop box).

I think Amazon is more you upload like FTP (you are uploading discrete folders rather than syncing)

Not sure if my assumptions are correct or not
Jackolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 7:14 PM   #20
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Silver08 View Post
Google photos
This is what I use for photos and videos from my phone.

If you allow Google to compress the photos (and it's not terrible - probably a "90%" style option if you used standard JPG compression in any software package) you get unlimited photo storage.

On top of that, you can use the Google Photos app to trickle upload photos when you're on WiFi. So as you snap, they get uploaded.

The app also allows you to clean your phone by automatically deleting everything that's been backed up (leaving everything that hasn't).

For regular snappers like me (i.e.: not someone who uses a "real" camera or handicam, and just takes photos and videos from their phone) it's perfect.

By far the bulk of my personal backup requirements are photos. Everything else (important documents and whatnot) are a fraction of the size, and I can handle their backups cheaply with other options.

The only downside is the standard "Google own my life" concerns. Outside of that, it's super convenient.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:07 AM   #21
millsy_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmerman View Post
I use onedrive as part of my 365 plan... works a treat.

I do wish it had some of the tagging ability of Google Photos though - so I could sort through them all easier.
How do you sync them? I wanted to sync directly to onedrive and their webdav client has atrocious performance, and the web client has a limit of ~70 images at a time.

I don't want to install the client locally as it needs to sync a folder.
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote