Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 4th June 2017, 12:29 PM   #2026
Sunder

I'm currently in the research phase of setting up a 2nd hand solar panel set up. Have been keeping an eye out for prices.

Very hard to tell what something is worth on eBay, because some don't sell, so the asking price means nothing, others absolutely shock me how cheap they are with zero bids - until I see that they're in Lismore, pick up only, no freight. Also, some have mounts, and some come with inverters, which also throws things off.

The best I can come up with is that about 80% of the sales that look like they complete go for between 25c per watt and 50c per watt. The other 20% usually have some reason why there were no bids, or went over 50c per watt. There was one sale of Mitsubishi panels that looked nearly new with a 3kw inverter that went way over what I was expecting.

If you list specs and a ball park figure you want, you might be able to move me from the research to the buying stage sooner
Sunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 4th June 2017, 1:47 PM   #2027
Xipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676385139307658/

or gumtree (mind the tyre kickers and rip off artists)

how much they are worth? depends on quality, brand, condition, output, age etc etc.
best to do is look up similar panels if you can and set a similar price.
Thanks mate! ill look into the group and maybe give gumtree a try! Always have people massively low-ball on gumtree when i have sold other items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder View Post
I'm currently in the research phase of setting up a 2nd hand solar panel set up. Have been keeping an eye out for prices.

Very hard to tell what something is worth on eBay, because some don't sell, so the asking price means nothing, others absolutely shock me how cheap they are with zero bids - until I see that they're in Lismore, pick up only, no freight. Also, some have mounts, and some come with inverters, which also throws things off.

The best I can come up with is that about 80% of the sales that look like they complete go for between 25c per watt and 50c per watt. The other 20% usually have some reason why there were no bids, or went over 50c per watt. There was one sale of Mitsubishi panels that looked nearly new with a 3kw inverter that went way over what I was expecting.

If you list specs and a ball park figure you want, you might be able to move me from the research to the buying stage sooner
Ah awesome, i was hoping to get somewhere around $1000 for the panels and the mounting kit, but open to offers if you want to take them Makes my life easier since i don't have to list online etc.

Ok, here is what i have:
Full tilt frame setup which held all 18 Panels for flat roof (Ignore the solar heating tube!) Includes Mounting Clamps, Bottom Rails, Risers and Top Rails.

16x 190W Solar Panels (Jetion Solar Branded) (3.04KW) These panels are 5 years old. Purchased May 2012.

Photo of Spec Label:
Old 4th June 2017, 4:43 PM   #2028
mtma

Problem with the pricing of second hand solar panels is that the market is actually much smaller than new ones. People expanding on grid systems will probably use new ones in order to claim the credits, and at today's (new) panel prices is actually a very good deal.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 8:59 PM   #2029
Sunder

PM sent - 10 Characters.
Old 4th June 2017, 9:09 PM   #2030
SLIMaxPower

The problem with 2nd hand gear is the CEC approved hardware list.

If its off-grid you won't have many issues, but trying to get second hand gear installed - regardless of claiming any credits will be the major problem. Most installers won't touch it with a barge pole.

If adding panels to an existing system older than a couple of years will make it an unprofitable exercise unless you get the second hardware for practically nothing - which is why the tyre kickers lowball, as all existing hardware has to be brought up to spec.
Main System: Motherboard Asrock Z97 Fatal1ty CPU 4690k @ 4400 HSF Nocturna Nh-D14 RAM 16GB 2133 DDR3 Potenza Black GPU GTX980ti Monitors 1 x 34" Samsung Curved 3 x 23" Samsung Accessory Displays HDD Boot: Samsung 950 500Gb Steam: Sandisk 480Gb PSU XFX 1000wt 80Plus Platnium Case Bitfennex Colussus
PFsense Box: N36L 16Gb ecc Freenas Server 1: ML10v2 Xeon 1261V3 32Gb ecc 48Tb
SLIMaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 7:59 AM   #2031
1shot1kill

What Recharge said but there's also Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676385139307658/
1shot1kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 10:50 AM   #2032
Renegade40D

Just wanting some ideas/advice on the best way to split a power source so you can connect multiple devices. I currently have the output from the charge controller connected to a set of 4 switches for some led lights. I would like to split the output so i can have it power the led lights as well as branch off and power a 12v fence energiser.

Whilst i am confident with 12v and could easily just splice the wires in i would like to do it properly and safely and hopefully future proof it by allowing additional items etc to be added to the output with minimal fuss. Having a look around i thought something like a bus bar would be suitable but wanted to make sure i do it right the first time.

Any suggestions appreciated.

In case its relevant, this is offgrid at the horse paddock, 250w panel, with a 12v battery and an mppt controller.
Old 14th June 2017, 1:59 PM   #2033
Sunder

If you have those cheap charge controllers that have a "light" output, I would actually rewire it so it goes:

Panel -> Controller -> Battery -> Junction Box w/ bus bar -> load (Lights and fence)

The "light" function on those charger controllers are fairly low current, so wouldn't be good for future expansion. That said, if you connect straight to the battery, it's possible to run it totally flat, and the charge controller can't do anything about it. On Lead Acid, that will sulfate the battery, on NiMh, that can reverse cells, on Lithium that can puff the battery.

If you size correctly though, that shouldn't be a problem though.
Old 14th June 2017, 2:10 PM   #2034
Recharge

that's why you use the light controller to operate a relay for the load
I'm british on my mum's side and think most aussies and aussie culture in general is just absolutely degenerate.
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 4:09 PM   #2035
RobRoySyd

Something like this would be the go.

I'd add a main fuse and under voltage cut out before this distribution board.
For lights that come on at dusk I'd use individual twilight switches, the 12V ones are very cheap.
Old 15th June 2017, 9:43 AM   #2036
Sunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoySyd View Post
Something like this would be the go.
Nice! Haven't seen one like that before. Would be good to fuse every individual item drawing power instead of just between the battery and bus bar.
Old 15th June 2017, 12:59 PM   #2037
Renegade40D

It will most likely be a 'light controller' so yes it would probably be best to re evaluate the wiring since i am adding more than a couple led strips now.

As for the batteries i will confirm what they are but these things are over kill for what i am doing, its actually 2 x 6v batteries out of a boat running twin outboards. I doubt i will ever run them flat but i may as well incorporate some safety measures while i am redoing the setup.