Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food

Notices

Old 29th May 2015, 7:32 PM   #16
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connico View Post
Oh Adelaide... that's easy

Barossa fine foods, they had a store at the central markets but I am told they have a few stores now. Check them out.
Funny you should mention that actually.....brother in law was at central markets today and I told him to check around.....managed to get 2 packets of black pudding for $4.50 each.

It's probably not the one I'm used to but I'll see how it goes

Winrar! Thanks gents.
Old 30th May 2015, 1:17 PM   #17
Quadbox

I've got an idea that awesome butcher in lyndoch in the barossa valley does some black pudding too if you're going for a drive that way one weekend. Even if I'm wrong, the rest of his smallgoods are fucking amazing.

Try his beef jerky too, it's a smoked beef jerky, really damned good.
Quadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 2:16 AM   #18
broccoli

My local butcher seems to have changed hands (has a new name, anyway) and they are selling black pudding. Could somebody give me an idea as to what it tastes like? Does it taste like liver? I might give it a try, but not if it tastes like something I know I hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 6:53 PM   #19
twinhardballers

It really depends on what they put in it, I hate liver too and all of the black pudding's I've had have been nice if that helps
twinhardballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 7:10 PM   #20
jamieyn

Black Pudding is awesome - the ones I've had don't taste of offal at all - generally a well spiced (all-spice/pepper) / salty meaty taste. I love it served fried - so its crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside. Tasty as part of a full breakfast (with HP sauce), and also tasty when combined with scallops.

In melbourne, I get mine from Rob's British Butchers - and he has scottish, english and irish versions - made fresh.

The scottish version is my favourite - it has oats in it and is well spiced. The english version has more back fat and the irish version is the mildest.
Vishera FX-9370 | H100i WC |Crosshair V Z|16Gb Corsair DDR3 1600|Samsung 850 Pro SSD|SM961 NVME 1TB SSD |10Tb Spinners | Gigabyte G1 1080|P180 | Dell 3014 | SB-Z | BD-RW |Corsair HX-850|HP NL40 12Tb Raid 5| MediaCentre Addict. HSV GTO LE Manual.
Recent trades: hungrynic, 3xcalibur, Logic-Liam, TickleMeElmo, Kaine[zof] vk5hbl, squaredonut, Alessiman, craggles, pilot6, looktall, Peter2000, Forgiven, phantom220, ryoSaeba, smoothunit plus many others
jamieyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 7:45 PM   #21
clonex

Might have to track this stuff down and try it.
Back in Finland you got blood sausages and sorta crepes/pancakes(translated bloodcrepes/pancakes) that look very similar to black pudding. Best served with lingonberry jam but the sausages you have to get from the markets fresh while still hot

Last edited by clonex; 12th January 2017 at 7:50 PM.
clonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 7:53 PM   #22
broccoli

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna give it a go. They had a "pack" for a full irish breakfast, had steak and sausages and black pudding (I think), I might get that to start. It's only a couple of slices, so no big deal if the dog gets it instead of me. I gather it'll be an irish type because the new butcher's has an irish name.
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
Old 12th January 2017, 9:51 PM   #23
connico

If you can get hands on the traditional spanish sweet variety... you be hooked.. best black pudding I've ever had. Rich meaty sweet and spicy... relavation. Especially done on a charcoal grill
Old 12th January 2017, 10:17 PM   #24
Beanz

They sell it in the Deli at our Coles!
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 4:04 PM   #25
Moakek

The Spanish version is caller morcilla and you can find it at a Spanish deli/providore if you have one of those.
Blizzard : Overwatch |Hearthstone | HOTS | Diablo 3 - Keggy#1238
Moakek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 4:08 PM   #26
Quadbox

There are *lots* of different varieties of morcilla, most of them are quite different to english/irish black pudding though. I'm particularly fond of a couple of varieties that Pennisi Cuisine sell locally.

I'm actually a bit spoiled for choice round here. Lawless butchers up at annerley, who's as irish as can be, makes his own irish black and white puddings too, which are excellent (like all the rest of his sausages. and his meat in general. bloody good butcher)
Quadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 4:25 PM   #27
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonex View Post
Might have to track this stuff down and try it.
That won't be an easy job living in the north pole.
Old 16th January 2017, 11:09 PM   #28
broccoli

ok, your roving reporter reporting on trying the black pudding from the shop. I got the breakfast pack (comes with some little sausages, what I thought was a piece of steak but actually turned out to be bacon, and 2 slices each of black and what I assume is white pudding, there's a light one and a dark one, anyway).

Quite nice. Tasty, not horrible at all. The only thing is that it was all quite salty and I don't eat a lot of salty things (not proper food anyway, potato chips and stuff, but not proper food) so it was a bit much. (I also don't like bacon, but it was that nice lean stuff not that horrible fatty stuff, so I could still eat it). I'd prefer to have just one little sausage, half a slice of the pudding and then with eggs and tomatoes and potatoes or something "un-salty", just a little bit of the salty meat with "other stuff" - but that's entirely personal preference. For people that eat salty meats, I'd say they'd love it. I'd describe it as a bit of a cross between sausage and stuffing.

If anyone is sensitive about "yucky" things, I'd say to give it a go. I'm fussy and I think it's quite nice. I'd give it a thumbs-up with a "it's not really my type of thing" rider.
Quote:
Old 16th January 2017, 11:46 PM   #29
RyoSaeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
I also don't like bacon
GTFO now. *points to door*
RyoSaeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 12:00 AM   #30
jamieyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
ok, your roving reporter reporting on trying the black pudding from the shop. I got the breakfast pack (comes with some little sausages, what I thought was a piece of steak but actually turned out to be bacon, and 2 slices each of black and what I assume is white pudding, there's a light one and a dark one, anyway).

Quite nice. Tasty, not horrible at all. The only thing is that it was all quite salty and I don't eat a lot of salty things (not proper food anyway, potato chips and stuff, but not proper food) so it was a bit much. (I also don't like bacon, but it was that nice lean stuff not that horrible fatty stuff, so I could still eat it). I'd prefer to have just one little sausage, half a slice of the pudding and then with eggs and tomatoes and potatoes or something "un-salty", just a little bit of the salty meat with "other stuff" - but that's entirely personal preference. For people that eat salty meats, I'd say they'd love it. I'd describe it as a bit of a cross between sausage and stuffing.

If anyone is sensitive about "yucky" things, I'd say to give it a go. I'm fussy and I think it's quite nice. I'd give it a thumbs-up with a "it's not really my type of thing" rider.
Try it with something sour/sweet - like hp sauce or tomato sauce or tomato relish
Vishera FX-9370 | H100i WC |Crosshair V Z|16Gb Corsair DDR3 1600|Samsung 850 Pro SSD|SM961 NVME 1TB SSD |10Tb Spinners | Gigabyte G1 1080|P180 | Dell 3014 | SB-Z | BD-RW |Corsair HX-850|HP NL40 12Tb Raid 5| MediaCentre Addict. HSV GTO LE Manual.
Recent trades: hungrynic, 3xcalibur, Logic-Liam, TickleMeElmo, Kaine[zof] vk5hbl, squaredonut, Alessiman, craggles, pilot6, looktall, Peter2000, Forgiven, phantom220, ryoSaeba, smoothunit plus many others
jamieyn is offline   Reply With Quote