Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th August 2015, 12:51 PM   #16
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
Sure, but the point remains - my old, "obsolete" computer does stuff out of the box that my newer "better" computer requires a shit-ton of pfaffing around to do.
Except a New computer will ingest and transcode far faster than your old one ever could.

Your reasoning is similar to that of the industrial and process applications above - the only difference is that you're complaining over a few $100, rather than equipment that is exponentially more expensive than the machine to operate it.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th August 2015, 1:04 PM   #17
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
Except a New computer will ingest and transcode far faster than your old one ever could.
It won't and can't be faster if it can't do it at all.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 1:08 PM   #18
NSanity

Quote:
It won't and can't be faster if it can't do it at all.....
errr

Quote:
there's a "thing" that converts video files to different formats which is really quick and easy
there is a billion ways this is wrong. I don't even know where to begin. But if you think that a Windows XP era ATI card, running on an XP era CPU and board, is going to be faster than what is available now - i have a bridge to sell you.

Media production houses are some of the fastest turnover pc wise when it comes to hardware.

As for ease of use - given that many solutions will happily just watch a folder now, then re-encode on the fly to whatever format/s you want - I doubt that too.
Old 20th August 2015, 1:13 PM   #19
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
many solutions
Included out of the box? Or searched for, figured out, messed about with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 1:15 PM   #20
m0n4g3

Quote:
Included out of the box? Or searched for, figured out, messed about with?
yours isn't out of the box either... you have to install drivers to get said function
i7-5930k @ 4.0ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus X99 Sabertooth TUF | 2x 980TI SLI with EK CU Blocks | 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 | 256gb Samsung 840pro | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 1:34 PM   #21
NismoR31

I used to have a box running xp for talking to old printers while repairing them, but an XP VM does the job now. Haven't had anything not work that I've passed off to the VM from the host.

But yeah, legacy software.

Had a customer last year that bought a 2nd hand wood lathe (massive industrial thing) which used a proprietary 16 bit ISA interface card in an ancient machine running win 95. He asked if it could be networked to his win 7 & 8 PCs. HA! Floppy disks for you mate.

He needed it connected to the network to get design files from the program they make them on, so ended up buying a replacement interface PC from the lathe manufacturer with a newer version of the interface card (PCI I think) running Win XP for the highway robbery sum of about $4k. All so they didn't have to walk out to the shed with a floppy. Don't blame him really lol
NismoR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 1:40 PM   #22
WishBone17

We have shitty old Pentium D machines that control our 5 main printers, unfortunately my boss is too tight to upgrade them.

So we still use WinXp on them babies.
INTEL I7-3770K @4.8GHZ (DELIDDED) | MSI BIGBANG M-POWER Z77 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ DDR3 | GPU less for now (using onboard intel) | CORSAIR AX1200 PSU | LIANLI PC-Z70 | AOC 12757FH + DELL U2311H | WIN10 PRO 64BIT | ..:: PICS ::..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironized View Post
Our father who areth a lurker, creeking be your name, We are here in the most boring of times and pray for you to once again walk among us. Ahnus.
WishBone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 2:34 AM   #23
Kafoopsy

Quote:
Because it does what I want to do. If it ain't broke, there's no reason to "fix" it.
This, so much this. I was dragged, kicking and screaming into Windows 7 only because XP doesn't support more than 4GB RAM and hdds bigger than 2TB. If it wasn't for that I'd still be using XP. And I had to do a ton of work to get Windows 7 to look and act as much like XP as I could get it.
I only upgraded (kicking and screaming) from Windows 98 in 2009!

My old laptop still has XP and I will not be upgrading it. New laptop has Windows 8.1 and I am having a very hard time getting used to it. Particularly the explorer. Longish pauses to start it, long pauses to load a list of files - the dates seems to be the lag. These are all things that XP did instantly (on slower hardware). And this new laptop is a modern machine with 8gb RAM and an i7 cpu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli
(Edit: oh, and there's also things that the "newer and better" have taken away)
Yes, like decent error messages perhaps. "This connection is limited." Why? What part of the connecting process didn't work? Why don't you just tell me what went wrong without having to run the automated diagnostic routine. "Can't connect to this network." Why not? If the computer knows it sure ain't telling me.
Kafoopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 4:17 AM   #24
HobartTas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafoopsy View Post
because XP doesn't support more than 4GB RAM and hdds bigger than 2TB. If it wasn't for that I'd still be using XP.
XP-64 supports more than 4GB of RAM and although XP doesn't support internal HDD's bigger than 2TB this limitation does not apply to connected external drives or to network attached drives like a NAS.
HobartTas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 7:41 AM   #25
NismoR31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobartTas View Post
HDD's bigger than 2TB this limitation does not apply to connected external drives
I think you'll find USB connected drives bigger than 2TB won't work in XP 32bit. It doesn't support GPT without 3rd party assistance.
NismoR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 9:57 AM   #26
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post
I think you'll find USB connected drives bigger than 2TB won't work in XP 32bit. It doesn't support GPT without 3rd party assistance.
as per this document https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

and this one https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...removablemedia
Old 22nd August 2015, 9:27 AM   #27
marty_s13

I work at an engraving company and a few of our engraving machines will only run on XP. We even have one running windows 98 and one running 95 (they are rarely used).

Our laser engravers can run Windows 10 no problem but we have a vinyl cutter and card printer that can only use Windows 7.
marty_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 7:59 PM   #28
StevOz

All WA TAB betting machines still use XP...
StevOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 1:33 PM   #29
Reaper

My Libretto u100 came with a xp license. That's why. Sure it'll run win 8.1 or win10, but why should I pay for another license? I use it for tuning my car, not surfing the net. It rarely gets net connected.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 5:53 PM   #30
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_s13 View Post
I work at an engraving company and a few of our engraving machines will only run on XP. We even have one running windows 98 and one running 95 (they are rarely used).

Our laser engravers can run Windows 10 no problem but we have a vinyl cutter and card printer that can only use Windows 7.
And in this situation, there really is no reason to change.