Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd August 2015, 7:11 PM   #31
kombiman
Re-Member

building an old box to run XP as the original GTA wont run on win7

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th August 2015, 2:33 PM   #32
TehCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistikal View Post
Sold a PC package today (second hand), AMD box from about 2005/2006. The guy who bought it specifically requested WinXP as the vinyl cutting printer he uses is not supported on anything newer - figured that was a decent reason.

So why do you (or someone you know) still use Win XP?
I have a client who still has it on 4 machines.
They'll probably go to win7 in the next 2 years or so.

They use it for no other reason than it's installed and the computers still function well. They are firewalled and well looked after.
TehCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 12:16 AM   #33
mixsetup

Well until recently the radio station I work at the broadcasting software would not work with anything except XP or Vista so we stuck with XP.

Personally I have it on my netbook as that's what was on it so there has been no reason to change it.
AMD FX-9590, ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 7:27 PM   #34
de_overfiend

had a lot of customers from CAD or CNC or Vinyl cutting businesses request xp on new machines.. replacing old core2 duos and Celerons with i3's

hard to get new mobos with winxp support thou

even had a jewelry maker that runs some proprietary software specifically ask for xp as her software cost 15k and she cant afford to outlay that for a newer version that will run on win7/8/8.1/10
Old 27th August 2015, 9:54 AM   #35
Falls

An alternative is to a build and XP machine in Virtualbox or Virtualize an existing machine. This works well for those driver based peripheral issue.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows

F.
Old 27th August 2015, 9:57 AM   #36
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls View Post
An alternative is to a build and XP machine in Virtualbox or Virtualize an existing machine. This works well for those driver based peripheral issue.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows

F.
We use Virtualbox for our XP VM, used for a huge fuckoff CNC machine.
Old 11th September 2015, 11:20 AM   #37
g12345567

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsetup View Post
Personally I have it on my netbook as that's what was on it so there has been no reason to change it.
Same. Still have and Asus EEPC 900 series netbook: Atom N270 single core processor, 2GB ram, 1024×600 pixels 8.9-inch display, 160gb hdd. Running windows XP. No point upgrading. Hadn't turn it on in a while. Did last night and it ended up installing XP updates.
Intel® Core™ i5-2500 | Asus P8Z68-V LX | 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL) | Asus Dual OC GTX 1070 video card | 1 x Toshiba 6tb SATA III | 1 x Hitachi 2tb SATA III | 1 x Seagate 1.5tb | Corsair HX650 - 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Modular PSU | Antec Core 3000 Case | Samsung BD SH-B123A blu-ray rom | Lite-on iHAS324 DVD | Dell U2515H 2560x1440 LCD | Logitech Elite Multimedia Keyboard and G400 Gaming Mouse | Xbox 360 wireless game controller
g12345567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 12:39 PM   #38
ae00711

because P4 netburst + XP = heavenly ol' school nirvana!

ae00711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 1:43 PM   #39
mareke

I'm still running my old Pentium 4 computer with an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Rev 2 motherboard with a socket 478 3.4 GHz CPU that only became a second computer around 8 months ago. I have fond memories of running it for 18 hours a day every day for well over 10 years without formatting (thanks to Acronis True Image) . It still goes well and runs a scanner that has no drivers for Windows 7 plus I have programs installed on it that I use that would cost me dearly to buy versions compatible with Windows 7 or above. There are also games I still like to play on it that aren't compatible with Windows 7. I don't connect it to the internet to avoid picking up viruses etc and I'll continue to run it for years to come.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 3:51 PM   #40
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsetup View Post
Well until recently the radio station I work at the broadcasting software would not work with anything except XP or Vista so we stuck with XP.
Vista works but not seven?
Old 11th September 2015, 4:26 PM   #41
chainbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktall View Post
we still use them at work for operating instruments that can't run on anything newer.
I did not not know such programs/applications even exist anymore.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 4:50 PM   #42
Jonchilds

I still run an XP VM on my laptop for talking to my old DSLR when I want to do time lapse/remote shooting. New firmware seems to have negated the need for doing this regularly though, so it's just when I know I'm going to fill the memory card several times over.

I'm still annoyed that Canon never bothered to release 64-bit drivers for their old-but-heavily-used hardware.
Jonchilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 10:49 AM   #43
Asteroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
I did not not know such programs/applications even exist anymore.
It's not that weird. Usually it means the software interfaces with/ generates programs for some kind of machine and to upgrade the software means a new support contract at substantial cost, reengineering of the hardware at eye-watering cost/ associated problems or the company that created it no longer exists! All this needs to be viewed as a business case compared to something currently works fine, generates profit and requires little to no operational costs.

I have customers complain when we can't fix their 30+ year old cnc controllers - so they search for used components instead of upgrading. It will be decades before XP era solutions disappear and probably only when the associated hardware irreparably fails.
Old 12th September 2015, 10:54 AM   #44
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonchilds View Post
I still run an XP VM on my laptop for talking to my old DSLR when I want to do time lapse/remote shooting. New firmware seems to have negated the need for doing this regularly though, so it's just when I know I'm going to fill the memory card several times over.

I'm still annoyed that Canon never bothered to release 64-bit drivers for their old-but-heavily-used hardware.
jeebus how old is that thing? More importantly what model??

I had a 350D and you just plugged it in and it saw the device as removable storage (even my Android ASUS TF201 saw it the same way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
It's not that weird. Usually it means the software interfaces with/ generates programs for some kind of machine and to upgrade the software means a new support contract at substantial cost, reengineering of the hardware at eye-watering cost/ associated problems or the company that created it no longer exists! All this needs to be viewed as a business case compared to something currently works fine, generates profit and requires little to no operational costs.

I have customers complain when we can't fix their 30+ year old cnc controllers - so they search for used components instead of upgrading. It will be decades before XP era solutions disappear and probably only when the associated hardware irreparably fails.
I think people underestimate just how expensive these machines are too - our CNC from memory is something like 40k and works perfectly, then there's our press... that's just slightly more expensive.

Last edited by power; 12th September 2015 at 10:57 AM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 11:18 AM   #45
roamin

i run xp out in my garage for my cnc machine, i run mach3 with a lpt1 port which only works in xp. you can run it on newer OS only if you run a usb plugin control board.
roamin is offline   Reply With Quote