Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 14th September 2015, 3:42 PM   #46
Jonchilds

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
jeebus how old is that thing? More importantly what model??

I had a 350D and you just plugged it in and it saw the device as removable storage (even my Android ASUS TF201 saw it the same way).
It's a 5D Classic - Canon never saw it fit to provide 64-bit drivers for a 2 year old camera model (which was still on sale). Can't say the remote shooting is terribly good as it takes over 10 seconds to retrieve a JPEG image via tethered shooting which makes it drop lots of frames with intervals below 15 seconds. Make that 45-60 seconds if you shoot JPEG+RAW.
Jonchilds is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th September 2015, 6:36 AM   #47
Dalork

I still have a couple of XP machines, one is a old laptop and the other just a basic bare-bones PC hooked up to a big screen.

Still got Vista, Win7 and 8.1 machines also. Main reason for not dumping them is they work fine for what they are used for. And for when kids/friends wish to play retro games on the BIG screen in the lounge room.

I don't currently have anything running older OS than XP, but I do have original copies of older OS systems.

I have a question to ask, why don't more people still have and use XP based PC's? Why are people so obsessed with upgrading and/or newer computers when often there's no real need/reason.

Dalork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 11:41 AM   #48
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalork View Post
I still have a couple of XP machines, one is a old laptop and the other just a basic bare-bones PC hooked up to a big screen.

Still got Vista, Win7 and 8.1 machines also. Main reason for not dumping them is they work fine for what they are used for. And for when kids/friends wish to play retro games on the BIG screen in the lounge room.

I don't currently have anything running older OS than XP, but I do have original copies of older OS systems.

I have a question to ask, why don't more people still have and use XP based PC's? Why are people so obsessed with upgrading and/or newer computers when often there's no real need/reason.

Depends on how old the older computer is.

I had to use a Pentium D Windows XP machine the other day, the simple task of surfing the web was a downright chore.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 4:31 PM   #49
metamorphosis

Would use it if I could. Unfortunately loads of things aren't compatible anymore. Onwards and downwards as far as I'm concerned. My client machines which run like dogs on Win7 ran fine on XP. POS.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 5:26 PM   #50
GoldilokZ

I still use XP in a VMWare workstation virtual machine to play older Win9x era games.
GoldilokZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 5:50 PM   #51
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldilokZ View Post
I still use XP in a VMWare workstation virtual machine to play older Win9x era games.
I also use Windows XP to play a few games I like and I use a HP scanner occasionally that has no drivers beyond Windows XP. I've also got programs that will do things like digitise analogue audio and extract audio from CDs I've bought and while there are probably ways of doing it in Windows 7 I couldn't be bothered trying to find them. I also have expensive programs that would cost a fortune to buy Windows 7 compatible versions and I prefer not to use pirated programs (with the odd exception!) now that I've built a new computer and I'm using Windows 7.

I'll probably continue to occasionally use Windows XP offline for as long as my motherboard (ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Rev 2.0 Socket 478) lasts! I stayed with XP for far too long only switching to Windows 7 around 10 months ago when I built a new computer but XP was a good operating system and I have fond memories of it. I'm currently uncertain about upgrading to Windows 10 for free now that I'm used to Windows 7 and it works well for me. Mainly I surf the internet and use Microsoft Office so there's no need for me to be upgrading frequently and I wouldn't be alone in that respect.

One area I've seen a significant improvement in by upgrading to Windows 7 using the latest hardware is speech recognition. I've been using Dragon Naturally Speaking for many years and the accuracy of it now in Windows 7 64 bit is light years ahead of what earlier versions were like in Windows XP. To my pleasant surprise I've found the latest version of Dragon Naturally Speaking to be surprisingly accurate with almost no training. In my opinion speech recognition has now come of age and is ready for mainstream use. As someone that had to do a lot of writing of reports etc in my line of work (the cost of the software was a tax deduction) I found speech recognition software to be very useful but I was always having to correct mistakes but now it rarely makes a mistake!

Last edited by mareke; 9th October 2015 at 7:00 PM.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 1:20 PM   #52
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldilokZ View Post
What older games are these??
Old 19th January 2016, 9:58 AM   #53
General_Cartman

Quote:
A virus has attacked the computer system of one of Melbourne's largest hospital networks, causing chaos for staff and patients who may face delays as a result.

Staff at Melbourne Health - the network which runs the Royal Melbourne Hospital - are urgently trying to repair damage to its IT system after a virus infected Windows XP computers.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ro...18-gm8m3v.html

Seems Melbourne Health still used it... I'm sure they wish they didn't now!
General_Cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 10:42 AM   #54
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Cartman View Post
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ro...18-gm8m3v.html

Seems Melbourne Health still used it... I'm sure they wish they didn't now!
nah nah nah its fine! viva la xp!
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 7:02 PM   #55
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
nah nah nah its fine! viva la xp!
Windows XP is like Far Cry......something I loved and I will always love it......but it had its day and we've now moved on.
Old 2nd February 2016, 1:24 AM   #56
Kafoopsy

I went to get some cash out of an ATM the other day and when I got there, the ATM was in the process of being started up. As I watched various things flash up on the screen, I saw the Windows XP logo! So there are still ATMs chugging along with XP.
Kafoopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:09 AM   #57
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
but it had its day and we've now moved on.
Where does this idea come from? That something perfectly functional needs to be replaced? I don't understand how somebody can think that something that does LESS than you could do before is any sort of improvement or upgrade. (I'm not trying to start a fight, or looking for an answer, it truly puzzles me.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:45 AM   #58
bennyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
Where does this idea come from? That something perfectly functional needs to be replaced? I don't understand how somebody can think that something that does LESS than you could do before is any sort of improvement or upgrade. (I'm not trying to start a fight, or looking for an answer, it truly puzzles me.)
Because for 99% of everybody, newer stuff generally does more, it does away with annoying limitations, does it faster, and does it with less hassle.

Good riddance Flash is all that needs to be said

I understand the techno-inertia that comes with not being of the "IT generation", but it is simply not applicable to anyone else that XP (or your old ATI bit of software) is objectively "better" as a result of your subjective reasons. You're just not aware of alternatives because you've not been moved to find them, plus I'd bet your decade old bit of software is missing a whole bunch of formats and codecs that are in wide use by smartphone-friendly content these days as well.

I have a 22yr old euro V8, I love it, does everything I need it to, I don't feel the need to spend on anything newer, but I am not crazy enough to try and tell people a new C63S is worse in anything but maintenance, insurance, and simplicity

Last edited by bennyg; 2nd February 2016 at 10:50 AM.
bennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:22 AM   #59
shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
That something perfectly functional needs to be replaced? I don't understand how somebody can think that something that does LESS than you could do before is any sort of improvement or upgrade. (I'm not trying to start a fight, or looking for an answer, it truly puzzles me.)
It's a combination of commerciality and productivity. Companies want more money and people want to be able to do more stuff. Accordingly the people give money to the companies and the companies provide the means to do things you couldn't before.

If I want to (and I often do) encode a video to a different format in the background while I browse a bunch of browser tabs on one monitor while a hi-def video plays on the other monitor and a bunch of downloads are coming in, and pretty much no matter what else I do in addition to all of the above, the computer stays totally fast and responsive.. I can do that now. It wouldn't happen on my XP computer. As a highly computer oriented person, that type of evolution has and continues to improve my quality of life.
shredder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 3:47 PM   #60
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyg View Post
Because for 99% of everybody, newer stuff generally does more,
except when it doesn't.....

Seriously, I sometimes wish I had no conscience. I could make a killing as a grifter. So many just believe what you tell them, without any assessment or consideration as to whether it is supported, true, or reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote