Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2nd February 2016, 6:05 PM   #61
bennyg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Oztraya
Posts: 3,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
except when it doesn't.....

Seriously, I sometimes wish I had no conscience. I could make a killing as a grifter. So many just believe what you tell them, without any assessment or consideration as to whether it is supported, true, or reasonable.
Testimonials are the most powerful form of advertising, this is well known

Many of our clients in our clinic report their experiences with MLM sellers and chiropractors... look at either of them if you want training in the art of grift
__________________
P370EM3940XM@4.3Ghz - 32Gb DDR3 - LG 1080p 120Hz - retrofitted TDP modded 1070 MXM SLI
still in bits: P870DM-G 6700K delid+LM @4.5GHz 1.185V - 32Gb DDR4-2666CL18 - 4K QFHD 17" - 980M SLI @1376/2950/1.06V
Trades: >90 Complaints: <0
bennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 6:11 PM   #62
broccoli
Member
 
broccoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 16,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyg View Post
look at either of them if you want training in the art of grift
Sure, just let me slather some of this rejuvenating makeup on, swig my naturopathic solution and upgrade my computer and I'll get started.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
People are idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 7:38 PM   #63
Kafoopsy
Member
 
Kafoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Right Here!
Posts: 1,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder View Post
If I want to (and I often do) encode a video to a different format in the background while I browse a bunch of browser tabs on one monitor while a hi-def video plays on the other monitor and a bunch of downloads are coming in, and pretty much no matter what else I do in addition to all of the above, the computer stays totally fast and responsive.. I can do that now. It wouldn't happen on my XP computer. As a highly computer oriented person, that type of evolution has and continues to improve my quality of life.
Was your XP machine unable to do this because of XP or because the hardware was slower? Having said that, the 4GB ram limit would probably slow things down. So then, why didn't Microsoft make an update that addressed this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyg View Post
Because for 99% of everybody, newer stuff generally does more, it does away with annoying limitations, does it faster, and does it with less hassle.

I understand the techno-inertia that comes with not being of the "IT generation", but it is simply not applicable to anyone else that XP (or your old ATI bit of software) is objectively "better" as a result of your subjective reasons. You're just not aware of alternatives because you've not been moved to find them, plus I'd bet your decade old bit of software is missing a whole bunch of formats and codecs that are in wide use by smartphone-friendly content these days as well.
What broccoli, myself and probably many other people are trying to say is, why doesn't Microsoft add all these new features, remove limitations etc without completely changing the look and feel and removing the ability to customise said look and feel?
__________________
I was a member of the THE SLOT-T PARTY!
I did have a: Tualatin Celeron 1.2 on MSI 6163 Slot 1
My motto: Latest version of software is not always best.
Kafoopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 8:33 PM   #64
NSanity
Member
 
NSanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafoopsy View Post
Was your XP machine unable to do this because of XP or because the hardware was slower? Having said that, the 4GB ram limit would probably slow things down. So then, why didn't Microsoft make an update that addressed this?
Because 32 bit. And because PAE (in 2003 x86 Enterprise) still doesn't let you address more than 3GB per process (or thereabouts).

Also 64 bit XP blew fucking chunks. Well. thats not true. It was super great - and basically 2003 x64 - which was fine. Hardware and Drivers blew fucking chunks unless it said "server" somewhere on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafoopsy View Post
What broccoli, myself and probably many other people are trying to say is, why doesn't Microsoft add all these new features, remove limitations etc without completely changing the look and feel and removing the ability to customise said look and feel?
Because XP's UI sucks compared to 10.

I get more done, faster. Tons more shortcuts combining GUI and Keyboard.

You can find it different - but as someone who works on a mix of;

3-4% XP
3-4% Vista
40% 7
20% 8/8.1
30odd% 10.

Every time i have to step back in time, it grates me to no end because shit just doesn't work/happen.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 8:40 PM   #65
shredder
Member
 
shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dec 1991
Posts: 9,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafoopsy View Post
Was your XP machine unable to do this because of XP or because the hardware was slower? Having said that, the 4GB ram limit would probably slow things down.
A combination of the two really. They work in tandem. e.g. you need the hardware evolution to be able to have more than 4GB ram in the first place, and also the software the use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafoopsy View Post
So then, why didn't Microsoft make an update that addressed this?
Why not stick with Win2k instead of XP? Why not DOS?

Similar reasoning holds more or less true throughout the evolution of these things. The fact you can stick a pin in one chosen OS and say "this is where I liked it" is perfectly valid but doesn't really detract from evolution and advancement and the quest to basically do more stuff and/or do it better. Doesn't always work out but that's the nature of complex organic crap, i.e. humans, doing a bunch of weird stuff with things.
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 3:49 PM   #66
rainwulf
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: bris.qld.aus
Posts: 3,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobartTas View Post
XP-64 supports more than 4GB of RAM and although XP doesn't support internal HDD's bigger than 2TB this limitation does not apply to connected external drives or to network attached drives like a NAS.
XP-64 was a fucking joke though.

Windows Server 2003 64bit was a much better implementation.
__________________
derp
rainwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 3:59 PM   #67
NSanity
Member
 
NSanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
XP-64 was a fucking joke though.

Windows Server 2003 64bit was a much better implementation.
It was quite literally the same thing. It was all shit hardware support.

Run XP 64 on a 2003 x64 Tier 1 vendor server and it was basically the same.

People fuck on Vista a lot, but they really haven't given much thought to the fact that it was *entirely* hardware and drivers that fucked everything. By the time 7 came around, most hardware vendors pulled their heads from their asses and it all largely just worked.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 5:37 PM   #68
rainwulf
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: bris.qld.aus
Posts: 3,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
Because 32 bit. And because PAE (in 2003 x86 Enterprise) still doesn't let you address more than 3GB per process (or thereabouts).

Also 64 bit XP blew fucking chunks. Well. thats not true. It was super great - and basically 2003 x64 - which was fine. Hardware and Drivers blew fucking chunks unless it said "server" somewhere on it.



Because XP's UI sucks compared to 10.

I get more done, faster. Tons more shortcuts combining GUI and Keyboard.

You can find it different - but as someone who works on a mix of;

3-4% XP
3-4% Vista
40% 7
20% 8/8.1
30odd% 10.

Every time i have to step back in time, it grates me to no end because shit just doesn't work/happen.
I hear this argument a lot, but i really want an example.

What does say, windows 10, do better then then 7, considering the desktop?
and NOT considering how BAD windows 10 does with a lot of GUI things.

*cough* wireless networking, VPNs.. WTF why cant you change the password in a wireless connection?
__________________
derp
rainwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 5:57 PM   #69
NSanity
Member
 
NSanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
I hear this argument a lot, but i really want an example.

What does say, windows 10, do better then then 7, considering the desktop?
and NOT considering how BAD windows 10 does with a lot of GUI things.
cli finally behaves like it should

Windows+X

Windows+left/right then select another window - instant split - and you change it from 50/50 to whatever you want.

Windows+up/down halves the height of a window.

Windows will offer to convert lossless files to lossy files if you drag them to a MTP or PTP usb device

Quick Access Favourites (although porn seems to uncannily stick there)

Windows Hello (if you have a Surface Pro)

Robocopy does /XJ by default (thank fuck) - although I think this happened in 8 or 8.1 (2012/2012r2)

Powershell is there by default
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 8:31 PM   #70
Mone
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
except when it doesn't.....

Seriously, I sometimes wish I had no conscience. I could make a killing as a grifter. So many just believe what you tell them, without any assessment or consideration as to whether it is supported, true, or reasonable.
I find your weird warped reality intriguing, part of me says don't feed the troll, the other part of me says I think this guy is serious.

Everything you have described can be done easier and faster in the newer os's and software as people have pointed out but you refuse to acknowledge this and stick to your ludicrous idea that you are right. You remind me of that rapper on twitter that claimed the earth is flat, by damn he knows it is flat and no god damn science can tell him otherwise, because his rationale fits his belief system just like yours. Good luck on the flat earth mate, us on the sphere we call home will continue to use our new and improved os's.
Mone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 11:23 PM   #71
rainwulf
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: bris.qld.aus
Posts: 3,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
cli finally behaves like it should

Windows+X

Windows+left/right then select another window - instant split - and you change it from 50/50 to whatever you want.

Windows+up/down halves the height of a window.

Windows will offer to convert lossless files to lossy files if you drag them to a MTP or PTP usb device

Quick Access Favourites (although porn seems to uncannily stick there)

Windows Hello (if you have a Surface Pro)

Robocopy does /XJ by default (thank fuck) - although I think this happened in 8 or 8.1 (2012/2012r2)

Powershell is there by default

Windows X means nothing in 7, as it already have everything in the control panel, its only useful in windows 10 because the gui makes everything harder to find! They made the GUI harder to use and then added a shortcut to the things that most people use? why not MAKE IT THE START MENU.

Win7 does the split thing as well.

I wouldnt want a conversion on a copy, if i want a file converted i will do it myself, im not an invalid.

Windows up down doesnt really mean much either, who needs to make a window half height?

powershell means nothing to the average user, nor does windows hello..


Honestly, these are the things that make people worship 10? ...
I dont know about you but none of these are a deal breaker.
Not a single one of these things would make an ounce of difference in my life as a windows 7/2008R2 power user, considering i heavily customize my windows anyway, which makes the gui changes worthless to me.

Here is my start menu:


here is my idea of a perfect windows explorer:


And here is how i find my stuff. ONE click away from my documents. ONE CLICK.


Thats what windows is supposed to be about.

You dont need fancy gui shit, you want to be able to find the shit you need, and then work on it.

This is the default windows 10 explorer window:


its fucking insane. You will never EVER click on 90 percent of the clickable items in that window. EVER.
Fucking ribbon interface is a joke. heaven forbid if you are on a small screen! 768 vertical resolution? that explorer window takes nearly the ENTIRE SCREEN.
For an explorer window? WHAT?

They had it pretty decent in windows 2000...
__________________
derp

Last edited by rainwulf; 10th February 2016 at 11:30 PM.
rainwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 12:16 AM   #72
Elyzion
Member
 
Elyzion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 6,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
This is the default windows 10 explorer window:
image

its fucking insane. You will never EVER click on 90 percent of the clickable items in that window. EVER.
Fucking ribbon interface is a joke. heaven forbid if you are on a small screen! 768 vertical resolution? that explorer window takes nearly the ENTIRE SCREEN.
For an explorer window? WHAT?


????
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
next time you see a dog, go up close to it and say loudly with furious anger 'ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT'
Elyzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 4:21 AM   #73
NSanity
Member
 
NSanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Windows X means nothing in 7, as it already have everything in the control panel, its only useful in windows 10 because the gui makes everything harder to find! They made the GUI harder to use and then added a shortcut to the things that most people use? why not MAKE IT THE START MENU.
umm no?



Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Win7 does the split thing as well.
umm no?

http://i.imgur.com/12jz3VB.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
I wouldnt want a conversion on a copy, if i want a file converted i will do it myself, im not an invalid.
Asks for reasons. Gets reasons. Complains reasons aren't valid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Windows up down doesnt really mean much either, who needs to make a window half height?
http://i.imgur.com/QigkS7b.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
powershell means nothing to the average user,
You asked me? I'm not average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
nor does windows hello..
Bull. Fucking. Shit.

They love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Honestly, these are the things that make people worship 10? ...
No. You asked for reasons people like using it - and find it harder to use older OS's.

You got them.

I don't worship my OS - maybe thats your problem? Are you sure you're not an OSX user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
I dont know about you but none of these are a deal breaker.
Individually, no. But when you add every single UI and shortcut enhancement up - on top of various other improvements in boot times, hardware utilisation and the like - I prefer it.

I can run whatever OS I want. I choose to run 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Not a single one of these things would make an ounce of difference in my life as a windows 7/2008R2 power user, considering i heavily customize my windows anyway, which makes the gui changes worthless to me.
I don't have to change my OS to get on with it. I pretty much set default explorer windows to include details+hidden files and that's about it.

Then I install tools. I'll admit, I do install telnet-client to pretty much most pc's I touch. Not having that is annoying - 7 doesn't have it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Here is my start menu:
I just windows+first 3 letters of the app - run. Frequently used apps get pinned to the start menu and i abuse jump lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
here is my idea of a perfect windows explorer:
achievable from 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
And here is how i find my stuff. ONE click away from my documents. ONE CLICK.
rightclick -> jumplist -> pins + frequent used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Thats what windows is supposed to be about.
ummm ok. If you say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
You dont need fancy gui shit, you want to be able to find the shit you need, and then work on it.
So powershell then?

Last edited by NSanity; 11th February 2016 at 4:33 AM.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 9:14 AM   #74
rainwulf
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: bris.qld.aus
Posts: 3,907
Default

I was more complaining about the reasons people give to go to the upgrade, when its available already.

You have valid points. Windows X is good, for me though, i wish that WAS the start menu. Its a hell of a lot easier then a start menu that has ADS in it.

I find it hard to believe that people are "complaining" about windows 7 being harder to use then windows 10.

Honestly, no. Not a single person, apart from you, has said windows 10 is easier to use.

I regularily format 8 and 10 machines back to 7 because people are familiar and happy with 7.

The two reasons i always get when i ask people are:
1: The upgrade broke my machine, nothing works.
2: I cant find the stuff im used to, i just want to use my computer the way i did before.

A lot of people are upset on how GWX tricked them into the upgrade. And when they get it, they cant find their stuff.

I have had 2 people happy with it, with the caveat "once i found where all my stuff is, and sometimes my printers dont work" from both people.

Thats a pretty bad track record.

Actually i do a lot of work in the real estate industry and damn windows 10 has seriously broken printing for so many people.
__________________
derp

Last edited by rainwulf; 11th February 2016 at 9:16 AM.
rainwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 9:28 AM   #75
NSanity
Member
 
NSanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16,175
Default

I didn't say 7 was harder. I said I gained productivity from 10 over 7, etc...

I push machines back to 7/8.1 from 10 - largely because of app compatibility.

We don't really have much problems with people bouncing from 7/8.1 to 10 (assuming its a clean install) - infact the distaste for 10 is far less than 8.0 (8.1 was ok). We also don't endorse "start is back" or any of that other fucking shit either. You get clean Windows installs from us.

I haven't seen any printing issues tbh - we have 2 Real Estates on 10 now, ~40 users.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 4:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!