Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st December 2016, 3:25 PM   #16
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilasdeath View Post
what sort of music do you like Bold Eagle?
Abba - especially Money.............

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st December 2016, 3:33 PM   #17
evilasdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Abba - especially Money.............
Told you social engineering was faster than brute force!
evilasdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 10:25 PM   #18
James086

Quote:
I have since changed my password to the first line from a favorite song and the password is around 40-50 characters long now.
Don't be so sure that it's secure. Add some random characters to the end (don't replace "e" with "3", that's trivial) that you can remember somehow.

“thereisnofatebutwhat*wemake”—Turbo-charged cracking comes to long passwords
Old 5th January 2017, 9:50 AM   #19
Aetherone

The performance of these crackers is only getting better and better...
Quote:
a PC running ocl-Hashcat-plus and two AMD HD 6990 video cards can cycle through 223,000 password candidates each second, fast enough to exhaust all 14.3 million words contained in the seminal RockYou dump of passwords in 65 seconds.
223,000 pwd/sec = 19,214,594,300 passwords per day... on old slow graphics cards what could you do with four titans and a 24 core / 48 thread E7-8890 v4?
Aetherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 5:09 PM   #20
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James086 View Post
Don't be so sure that it's secure. Add some random characters to the end (don't replace "e" with "3", that's trivial) that you can remember somehow.

Looks like it's time to start seriously considering biometrics from my domestic security - especially as fingerprint scanners can be bought for as little as $15.

For example:
A world without passwords: Windows Hello in Microsoft Edge

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 5th January 2017 at 5:18 PM.
Bold Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 5:16 PM   #21
Aetherone

Quote:
fingerprint scanners can be bought for as little as $15.
Are they Jelly Baby resistant?
Aetherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 5:25 PM   #22
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherone View Post
Are they Jelly Baby resistant?
LOL I did just read someone advising you to do at least three digits on record in case you cut one etc.
Old 10th January 2017, 8:11 PM   #23
IACSecurity

Lets be clear, if you have access to the hash, and you can't crack it, you will still be able to compromise the account.. because if you can get the hash, you will get the creds, in a true attack scenario. Its almost a definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James086 View Post

Not relevant to cracking google passwords.. again unless you have the hash.

"I am a fucking sentence! W00t!" is for all practical purposes, uncrackable via the web. It is not uncrackable via hash based attacks. But see first comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherone View Post
The performance of these crackers is only getting better and better...

223,000 pwd/sec = 19,214,594,300 passwords per day... on old slow graphics cards what could you do with four titans and a 24 core / 48 thread E7-8890 v4?
And they will continue to improve, and it doesnt really matter in the case of google cracking, because you are referencing local machine cracking. Not remote web app.. Because you can't sent 230K requests a second at google to break it for a few days.. Again you need the hash.. then you can sit and bang away on that. But as said before if you have the hash, shit is screwed already.

But then using PBKDF2 or Argon2 makes those 230K/sec not realistic as well.

Quote:
Looks like it's time to start seriously considering biometrics from my domestic security - especially as fingerprint scanners can be bought for as little as $15.

For example:
A world without passwords: Windows Hello in Microsoft Edge
No its not a reason to move to biometrics, nothing they have posted is any different from long ago. Passwords were, and are shit. Biometrics does not remove the issue of cracking 'hashes' which is basically what biometrics generate anyway. If you have access to the biometric 'hashes' my first comment would again apply in almost all scenarios.

Always enroll multiple fingers... you might have nutella on one that you were keeping for later

Use Google Auth (or Authy or whatever) and recovery codes (2FA), and you will be as secure as you can reasonably need.

redit: Quick relevant (close enough to correct) example: if you use PBKDF2 instead of a 'hash' you have iterations that the 'PBKDF2' thing runs. Lets say you do it 3000 times, that increases the crackers work load 3000 times. If you think, computers have got faster this year and it is a concern, change the iterations to 10,000, an don next password reset, those creds are now 3 times harder/longer to crack. But of course because I am looking at your hash table/file, i will own you anyway.

Last edited by IACSecurity; 10th January 2017 at 8:16 PM.
IACSecurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 9:01 PM   #24
Matthew kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by IACSecurity View Post
Lets be clear, if you have access to the hash, and you can't crack it, you will still be able to compromise the account.. because if you can get the hash, you will get the creds, in a true attack scenario. Its almost a definitive.

Extremely difficult to find the original password and compromise the original account with it even if you do the have the hash. Unless you have an extremely big rainbow table that allows you to match the first few values to the start of the hash its a very time consuming and intensive process to cycle through all possible permutations/combinations. Even difficult and worst if the hash is salted.

A google account password can be cracked depending on the password length, characters (mixed or not) itself. This does not compromise the account if you have the 2 factor authentication set up on your google account of authenticated through a mobile devices Google Authenticator app.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter

Last edited by Matthew kane; 10th January 2017 at 9:05 PM.
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 2:04 PM   #25
IACSecurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
Extremely difficult to find the original password and compromise the original account with it even if you do the have the hash. Unless you have an extremely big rainbow table that allows you to match the first few values to the start of the hash its a very time consuming and intensive process to cycle through all possible permutations/combinations. Even difficult and worst if the hash is salted.
If you have access to the hashes, you are almost guaranteed to compromise your target. It doesn't need to be bruting/cracking/tmto the hashes. Because if you have the hashes, you already have significant privileges on your target system - use that for leverage.
Old 11th January 2017, 4:20 PM   #26
Rubberband

All you need to know about strong passwords

/thread
Old 27th February 2017, 1:16 PM   #27
KANNIS

View page info / security / view saved passwords always works lol..

OCAU Fishing Club Member #1
KANNIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 1:49 PM   #28
Doc-of-FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IACSecurity View Post
If you have access to the hashes, you are almost guaranteed to compromise your target.
Perpetrator #1:
Doc-of-FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 2:37 PM   #29
metalslaw

Here is an online password generator if someone needs a really good one,

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
metalslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 6:48 PM   #30
IACSecurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalslaw View Post
Here is an online password generator if someone needs a really good one,

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
Hack the gibson.

FWIW that is an appalling REAL world generator, no one will remember them.

This thread reminds me why people pay me well for my security advice, thank you.

ahah nice Doc. I was thinking even simpler. Hashes are almost always in the backend database. If your sufficiently privileged to see them, you can probably just root the box the front end, or DB is on, or get SA on the DB. At which point you probably have access into the SSL tunnel.. at which point you see plain text passwords. Hence no need to even crack the salts hashes, pepper... which is what I was hinting at from the start. All your plain text below to us. /insert old meme here.

Last edited by IACSecurity; 28th February 2017 at 6:50 PM.
IACSecurity is offline   Reply With Quote