Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Science

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th May 2017, 11:04 PM   #1
antipody Thread Starter

Default Sauna is the new performance enhancing drug

The Dr Rhonda Patrick experience contains an amazing update of recent science and research...

My instinct and thinking was that denaturing proteins was not a good idea and that saunas would be damaging to healthy human cells.

I'm all for heat shock proteins, but do really have to sit in a hot room three times a week for half an hour, sweating like a pig to make them?

Last edited by antipody; 5th May 2017 at 11:07 PM.
antipody is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 9th May 2017, 7:36 PM   #2
RnR

I didn't think humans needed 3 times a week of an activity to give the body a signal to 'do things differently'? I touch some weights twice a week and I have slowly been seeing changes. How many times a week do you need to exposure yourself to sun to get a bit of a tan? Some gingers might only take 30secs once a week
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 9:40 AM   #3
antipody Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnR View Post
I didn't think humans needed 3 times a week of an activity to give the body a signal to 'do things differently'? I touch some weights twice a week and I have slowly been seeing changes. How many times a week do you need to exposure yourself to sun to get a bit of a tan? Some gingers might only take 30secs once a week
Yes, it's all about variation.

I've been using the gym of an evening for about 18 months on and off now. I've always avoided the sauna in the past, usually opting to cool down with a swim after my workout.

I've had just a few post workout sauna sessions since finding out about this science. I haven't been able to stay in much longer than 15 or so minutes, but will try working up to 20 or 30 mins. It's prolly placebo, but I feel my mood has been elevated. I kind of feel like it's bolstering my workout and strength, but I am sure it's too early to make that call, having only done it for a week.

With Canberra winter approaching, I think I'll get into a routine of using post workout and see how I feel in a few months. The upside is I can take my mp3 player in there and absorb more science (listening to Rhonda ) while I activate all these performance enhancing pathways.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:55 AM   #4
sTeeLzor

Whats the synopsis?
sTeeLzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 12:26 PM   #5
RnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTeeLzor View Post
Whats the synopsis?
In the link given in the OP, if you scroll down a bit there is a section called 'Show Notes'... it has timing information on all the major topics covered in the show ie Why does Rhonda prefer the sauna after, rather than before, a workout? [55:22]

Looks like this section is only about 6mins long
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 11:29 AM   #6
antipody Thread Starter

The theory here is that the hormetic effect of a sauna has longer term benefits that outweigh the impacts of the immediate stress, however, I'm not entirely convinced.

I guess it's a tradeoff between producing heat shock proteins that act to stabilise proteins throughout the body in a way that is long term protective and the risks that exposing your proteins to that heat is going to damage them.

It's a really fine line. Once you have denatured a protein, it's denatured and no amount heat shock protein is going to fix it. Glassblowers and furnace workers, for example, suffer cateracts as they denature the proteins in the lenses of their eyes with long term heat exposure. I would imagine that exactly the same process happens in the sauna.

As I've always has great eyesight, it really worries me that sauna use, while perhaps having the benefits Rhonda noted is doing to my eyes what happens to egg whites in a frying pan. Not up for that at all.
Old 15th May 2017, 7:54 PM   #7
clonex

your average sauna at a gym is going to be pushing 60-65 degrees max from what ive come across so hardly hot nor really physically demanding.

How is any of this new news? if you asked my 82year old grandad he would most likely list the same benefits but instead they would be some late 1800 century old wifes tales that have been told over few generations.

There is a old finnish proverb poorly translated

If a sauna, distilled spirits or tar dont help then the disease is fatal
clonex is offline   Reply With Quote