Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Sony Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th March 2016, 7:43 PM   #16
power Thread Starter

This rumour still doesn't make a huge about of sense to me and it may only be something on their drawing boards.

It's just unprecedented to upgrade a successful device at this point in the cycle for absolutely no reason.

The things that come to mind are

- NX, this thing might be great, they might even know how great - still, they have a dominant position but may need to act swiftly if it looks threatened.

- PSVR, devs might be having trouble getting to that magic 60FPS - they've invested heavily in VR and if the PS4 can't keep up they need a solution.

- MS rumours, Phil Spencer has toyed with updating xbxox because it's been copping it in the market.

- AMD are finally going to deliver on their promises and release truly revolutionary HW.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th March 2016, 7:45 PM   #17
elvis
Old school old fool

Good lord, if consoles turn into PCs with the constant annual hardware upgrade treadmill, I'm out of gaming forever.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 7:50 PM   #18
Copie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Good lord, if consoles turn into PCs with the constant annual hardware upgrade treadmill, I'm out of gaming forever.
I wouldnt think so, at the very least existing PS4 games will have to be compatible with the 4.5 if it is indeed real else they will cannibalize their market share.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 7:55 PM   #19
Sipheren

Even if this is more powerful with a nice fresh 14nm chip what does it matter? Games have been running on different levels of hardware on PC for all time, not to mention mobile apps that scale.

Just have a game that can run 1080P@60, or scale back to 30fps for the lesser hardware, shouldn't be an issue.

MS are thinking of doing similar things in the future as well, just makes sense.
Sipheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 8:30 PM   #20
Sledge

So glad i didn't buy a PS4 yet, been holding off for a decent price/bundle
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 8:32 PM   #21
Copie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
So glad i didn't buy a PS4 yet, been holding off for a decent price/bundle
Dunno what you define as decent when you have been able to pick up the 4 for well under 350 during one of the numerous sales on ebay etc
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 8:45 PM   #22
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
Even if this is more powerful with a nice fresh 14nm chip what does it matter?
Because that's now how console gaming has ever worked, and is a slap in the face for anyone who paid money for the platform. If we wanted upgradable systems, we'd buy PCs instead.

Quote:
Games have been running on different levels of hardware on PC for all time, not to mention mobile apps that scale.

Just have a game that can run 1080P@60, or scale back to 30fps for the lesser hardware, shouldn't be an issue.
But (1) it's not a PC, and (2) it's not partially upgradable - I have to throw out an entire system and buy a new one to get the full speed game (again, something that's never been done in console gaming).

Quote:
MS are thinking of doing similar things in the future as well, just makes sense.
Just because two companies share the same dumb idea, doesn't make the idea good.

The constant hardware upgrade treadmill is exactly what turned me off PC gaming a LONG time ago. Once I got a real job and kids, I didn't have time to waste my life chasing upgrades and reading hardware reviews. The overwhelming benefit for folks like me is that a console works day 1 and day 600 in exactly the same way - buy game, play game. No fucking around with hardware upgrades and matching motherboards to video cards to RAM for optimum experience, no dicking around endlessly with settings to get the right ratio of image quality to frame rate. I don't have time for that shit.

If you have time for that, that's great for you. Gaming for me is about getting away from work and stress, and just playing a damned game. I don't want to have to put in hours of effort before I even get the game loaded up and ready to play. Sure, I enjoyed that when I was 20 and I had all the time in the world. Today, I'm old and cranky and I just don't have time for that crap.

(Also, get off my lawn).
Old 26th March 2016, 8:55 PM   #23
Sipheren

Quote:
Because that's now how console gaming has ever worked, and is a slap in the face for anyone who paid money for the platform. If we wanted upgradable systems, we'd buy PCs instead.

But (1) it's not a PC, and (2) it's not partially upgradable - I have to throw out an entire system and buy a new one to get the full speed game (again, something that's never been done in console gaming).

Just because two companies share the same dumb idea, doesn't make the idea good.

The constant hardware upgrade treadmill is exactly what turned me off PC gaming a LONG time ago. Once I got a real job and kids, I didn't have time to waste my life chasing upgrades and reading hardware reviews. The overwhelming benefit for folks like me is that a console works day 1 and day 600 in exactly the same way - buy game, play game. No fucking around with hardware upgrades and matching motherboards to video cards to RAM for optimum experience, no dicking around endlessly with settings to get the right ratio of image quality to frame rate. I don't have time for that shit.

If you have time for that, that's great for you. Gaming for me is about getting away from work and stress, and just playing a damned game. I don't want to have to put in hours of effort before I even get the game loaded up and ready to play. Sure, I enjoyed that when I was 20 and I had all the time in the world. Today, I'm old and cranky and I just don't have time for that crap.

(Also, get off my lawn).
I get what you are saying, I understand why people have concerns, but, every 2 years a new phones comes out with much more performance, people ditch the old and buy a new.

The console market is changing, it's now using basic parts that are essentially incidental in each system, the next step is to shorten the time between models to help keep up and not hold games back.

So, having a mid upgrade that boosts performance makes sense, everything still runs on the previous system, it gives the platform a nice mid-life boost and helps keep up with gaming tech.

The next step is systems that can be easily upgraded, modules that pop out for memory, gpu and cpu.

It's either that or ditch the console platform and more to a streaming device from each brand that plugs into the TV.
Old 26th March 2016, 9:01 PM   #24
Sledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie View Post
Dunno what you define as decent when you have been able to pick up the 4 for well under 350 during one of the numerous sales on ebay etc
I prefer to buy from bricks and mortar stores where i can take things back if there's an issue...
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 9:08 PM   #25
nornicle

Auto buy for me if it plays UHD blu Ray...
nornicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 9:08 PM   #26
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I get what you are saying, I understand why people have concerns, but, every 2 years a new phones comes out with much more performance, people ditch the old and buy a new.
*People* also by new PC parts every few months too, and they're welcome to it.

*I* don't buy new phones every 2 years. I push mine much further than that, because for me a phone is a device to make phone calls and check emails on the run. I don't need fancy features, so I don't waste my time and money on them.

There's nothing wrong with anyone who wants to chase the bleeding edge all day. More power to them. I don't want to do that.

Regardless, phones are a poor example. Phones are not consoles. Consoles are not PCs. These are three separate things. Lumping their concepts together leads to poor decision making.

Quote:
The console market is changing, it's now using basic parts that are essentially incidental in each system, the next step is to shorten the time between models to help keep up and not hold games back.
1) The PC market is there for people who constantly want to ride the upgrade train. I don't want to be a part of that market (again, there's no judgement on my part for people who want to do that. But I don't).

2) Hardware isn't holding games back. It may hold visual quality back, but that's not the be all and end all of gaming fun. Hell, both my kids and I still get a tonne of enjoyment out of games from 30 or more years ago.

Quote:
So, having a mid upgrade that boosts performance makes sense, everything still runs on the previous system, it gives the platform a nice mid-life boost and helps keep up with gaming tech.
Nope, it still doesn't make sense. What you're describing there is the "pros" list of PC gaming, but with that comes an equal and opposite "cons" list, which is precisely why I'm not a PC gamer.

And all of this is arguing points to fix the "cons" of consoles, which I (and many millions of others) can deal with. Those who can't deal with them are welcome to be PC gamers. Vive la difference!

Quote:
The next step is systems that can be easily upgraded, modules that pop out for memory, gpu and cpu.
No, that's a PC, not a console. Go use a PC if you want that. You can even use your console game pad and plug it into your TV if you really want to emulate the "gaming on your lounge" experience, but still get to upgrade your video card, RAM and CPU every year.

Quote:
It's either that or ditch the console platform and more to a streaming device from each brand that plugs into the TV.
False dichotomy. Keeping consoles as they are harms no-one right now. Changing them to a PC-like model removes a choice for people that don't want PC gaming.

Last edited by elvis; 26th March 2016 at 9:19 PM.
Old 26th March 2016, 9:46 PM   #27
cbb1935

Until Sony mention anything this is all "pie in the sky" stuff.

I can't see them bothering to be honest, as the game range on PS4 isn't big enough to force another console refresh, as well as all new 4K games / releases.
Old 26th March 2016, 10:41 PM   #28
Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBS View Post
The idea of a mid generation hardware refresh boggles the mind.
Remember the N64 expansion pack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
still trying to find more than a handful of games for the PS4
I can't find one. Maybe Red Dead 2 when it arrives?
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 11:02 PM   #29
Sipheren

Quote:
*People* also by new PC parts every few months too, and they're welcome to it.

*I* don't buy new phones every 2 years. I push mine much further than that, because for me a phone is a device to make phone calls and check emails on the run. I don't need fancy features, so I don't waste my time and money on them.

There's nothing wrong with anyone who wants to chase the bleeding edge all day. More power to them. I don't want to do that.

Regardless, phones are a poor example. Phones are not consoles. Consoles are not PCs. These are three separate things. Lumping their concepts together leads to poor decision making.

1) The PC market is there for people who constantly want to ride the upgrade train. I don't want to be a part of that market (again, there's no judgement on my part for people who want to do that. But I don't).

2) Hardware isn't holding games back. It may hold visual quality back, but that's not the be all and end all of gaming fun. Hell, both my kids and I still get a tonne of enjoyment out of games from 30 or more years ago.

Nope, it still doesn't make sense. What you're describing there is the "pros" list of PC gaming, but with that comes an equal and opposite "cons" list, which is precisely why I'm not a PC gamer.

And all of this is arguing points to fix the "cons" of consoles, which I (and many millions of others) can deal with. Those who can't deal with them are welcome to be PC gamers. Vive la difference!

No, that's a PC, not a console. Go use a PC if you want that. You can even use your console game pad and plug it into your TV if you really want to emulate the "gaming on your lounge" experience, but still get to upgrade your video card, RAM and CPU every year.

False dichotomy. Keeping consoles as they are harms no-one right now. Changing them to a PC-like model removes a choice for people that don't want PC gaming.
I think the issue here is that you will find you are the minority, people want the 'new', they want better graphics in their games, higher frame-rates, etc.

The manufactures know this, and they want to cater for it .If you are not wanting the better model, then just like with everything, you can keep the older one and play using the lesser graphic settings.

Also, to me there is no difference between a console, phone or PC, the are all computers of different form factors, no point locking a platform into a specific set of parts for 10 years when you can allow for upgrades or have model upgrades every couple of years. As long as all the games play on the original system I can't see an issue.
Old 27th March 2016, 12:22 AM   #30
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I can't find one. Maybe Red Dead 2 when it arrives?
Must haves for me so far Arkham Knight (PS4 is lead platform and best experience), Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 (when it finally arrives), loverly remasters of previous Uncharted games and TLOU.

Not much else as I have a big arse 4K (real 4K none of that upscaling stuff) gaming PC. Maybe if I was a peasant I'd have bought some more stuff as it is though - this console is still lacking a deep library IMO.

RD2 would be a must have too, number 1 was awesome.