Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Sony Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th March 2016, 4:49 PM   #31
FoBZY

Wow people get worked up easily . Wait and see, my guess is a hdmi port upgrade and uhd disc support for movies
FoBZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th March 2016, 5:09 PM   #32
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
I think the issue here is that you will find you are the minority, people want the 'new', they want better graphics in their games, higher frame-rates, etc.
[Citation needed]

Once again, PCs are there for upgrade-aholics. There's nothing wrong with that. There's a whole industry just for those folks. All I want is simplicity in my gaming, and not having to mix and match components all the goddamn time. Way too much effort for something that's supposed to be fun and easy.

Last edited by elvis; 27th March 2016 at 5:11 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 5:34 PM   #33
Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
mix and match components all the goddamn time
In the last 4 years I've replaced a single failed PSU, which was 6 years old at the time.
Could I make it faster? Sure. Does it run everything I throw at it? Also sure.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 1:47 PM   #34
hvalac

Sony may consider 2x GPU power for PS4.5/PS4K, launch in Q1 2017

Quote:
We have been hearing a lot about the existence of a PS4.5/PS4K hardware refresh from Sony this last week or two but we hadn’t heard much about exact specifications until now. According to the latest rumours, Sony is currently considering building a new PS4 with a GPU that is two times as powerful as the one found in the current PS4, a higher tier CPU is also being considered though it could drive up the price a bit too high for Sony’s liking.
This information comes from a post on NeoGAF from someone claiming to be present at meetings with Sony discussing plans. This person’s identity has been ‘verified’ by NeoGaf’s moderator but obviously, they have remained anonymous to the rest of us.

The post says that the GPU is twice as powerful as a standard PS4 and this would push the price of the PS4 to $399.99. However, a more powerful CPU is also being considered right now, which means the PS4K or PS4.5 could end up costing as much as $499.99. The launch is apparently scheduled for Q1 2017 following an announcement prior to the release of PlayStation VR.
Other interesting bits of information include a 4K Blu-ray player and higher performance for PlayStation VR. There are also a few games already in development planned to take advantage of the new hardware including God of War 4, GT Sport, Deep Down, and Eve: Valkyrie. These games will have “significant” differences on the standard PS4 compared to the new one but the games will still run on both systems.

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.
hvalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 1:54 PM   #35
power Thread Starter

Might have something to do with this......

Sony's 4k streaming service will launch in early April

Quote:
Sony has finally revealed when Ultra, its 4k streaming service, will be available.

First announced at CES earlier this year, Ultra will make its debut on April 4 and will be available on Sony's 4K sets with Android TV, the company announced at a press event in San Francisco on Tuesday. The service will launch with just under 50 movies, which will cost $30 each.
Old 1st April 2016, 3:03 PM   #36
poleposition

Was there mention Microsoft was bringing out a 4k console variant?

I am sure Sony wants to keep up with any advancement a competitor will put down. But after a while people stop barracking for the 2 running a race if they keep changing the rules.

Normally Sony supports a console for 5 years after release. Pretty sure they are still releasing new ps3 games (yet not much vita stuff )
poleposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 3:12 PM   #37
poleposition

I also wonder if the more powerful gpu would allow higher resolution for existing ps4 titles?

Its interesting to note that Playstation VR is going to have increases in performance which makes me think the current console isn't powerful enough and the Playstation 4k will come out around the same time as its release?
poleposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 6:06 PM   #38
FIREWIRE1394

I don't get why people are complaining... buy the new one...

The playstation cost a grand at launch..
the playstation 2 cost a grand at launch.
the playstation 3 cost a grand at launch.
the playstation 4 cost... half a grand at launch ($549 as I recall)
you're already $450 ahead... more when you sell the old one and get the new one. sorted.
FIREWIRE1394 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 7:49 PM   #39
stitch512

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWIRE1394 View Post

The playstation cost $699 at launch..
the playstation 2 cost $749 at launch.
the playstation 3 cost grand at launch. Bought a 360 for $649 for that reason
you're forced to upgrade to the updated console, because you can bet even all the PS exclusive games will be made for it leaving the original PS4 behind
Fixed for you . Seriously if they just release a 4K bluray and streaming compatible version, that is totally fine as those who want to upgrade have the option. But to have a significantly upgraded console that could actually split the userbase mid gen is crazy, from any console maker.

We are 2.5yrs in with at most 2.5-3yrs to go, games are looking and playing great on both MS and Sony consoles. Last gen was 8yrs, there is no reason why we couldn't last at least 5 with the consoles we were given.

PC:Asus Sabertooth , AMD FX 8350 @ 4.33Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte R9 290x OC
stitch512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 1:30 PM   #40
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch512 View Post
Fixed for you . Seriously if they just release a 4K bluray and streaming compatible version, that is totally fine as those who want to upgrade have the option. But to have a significantly upgraded console that could actually split the userbase mid gen is crazy, from any console maker.

We are 2.5yrs in with at most 2.5-3yrs to go, games are looking and playing great on both MS and Sony consoles. Last gen was 8yrs, there is no reason why we couldn't last at least 5 with the consoles we were given.
Mine's only a "first gen" and it's under a year old, IF and only IF this updated version leaves the current console in the dust especially from a games point I'd feel a bit screwed over given that consoles traditionally have a long lifespan so people often will put off purchasing a console until it's established and proven in the marketplace.
Old 2nd April 2016, 1:34 PM   #41
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWIRE1394 View Post

The playstation cost a grand at launch..
the playstation 2 cost a grand at launch.
the playstation 3 cost a grand at launch.
you're already $450 ahead... more when you sell the old one and get the new one. sorted.
I've never paid more than $400 for a console, and I'm keeping it that way.

A grand for a gaming device? If I wanted to spend that, I'd be a PC gamer.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 2:45 PM   #42
Sledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch512 View Post
But where ARE the games?? There really isn't many games for each console that makes either of them a 'must buy'
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 3:26 PM   #43
stitch512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
But where ARE the games?? There really isn't many games for each console that makes either of them a 'must buy'
It depends what your into. Its all been a whole lot of sequels so far. In terms of new IP the only exclusive game i have really enjoyed this gen so far is sunset overdrive and with how quantum break looks, i am going to enjoy that. There has been 0 from sonys side in terms of new IP that has been of any interest to me which sucks because they nailed it during the PS3 years even though i didnt get to play them until their ps4 remasters.

PC:Asus Sabertooth , AMD FX 8350 @ 4.33Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte R9 290x OC
stitch512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 5:55 PM   #44
gaz86

So as long as this doesn't detract from the ability to enjoy and play future releases on the existing hardware (PS4s), there shouldn't be any issues in my mind.

Depending on the price point, I think the hardcore fanbois and those who haven't got a Playstation or Xbox yet will lap this up, especially if coming up to upgrading to a new 4k tv.

In my mind, this is a purely be a proof of concept (proving that 4k is the future for both gaming and movies/tv going forward) plus additionally push the Playstation as a 'vital' piece of equipment in everyone's home entertainment setup. This is probably the first step in the evolution to the PS5.

I think its way too early for 4k (not sure what the proportion of households who have 4k tvs are right now), but in my mind this offers the current console with the future proofing from a tv/movie watching stand point.

EDIT : Didn't notice the link above, regarding the 4k subscription service.

Also, I think the timing seems to suit as well with Sony's push into the VR market. Additional performance should also suit developers in designing for use with VR systems as well.

I'd be interested to hear officially from Sony about this.

I don't think I'll be racing out to buy one, unless my PS4 falls over by the time it's released.

Just a question, is anyone consuming / watching 4k content at the moment? What are your thoughts vs Full HD?
Old 3rd April 2016, 3:43 PM   #45
Sledge

I just recently bought a 4k TV and even the FHD content looks better to me, though it's hard to directly compare a ~7 year old 50" FHD panasonic plasma to a brand new 65" UHD LCD..

Thing is, i WAS looking to buy a PS4 soonish, but with this on the horizon, i'm now firmly waiting..
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote