Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Sony Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd April 2016, 3:51 PM   #46
Copie
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I just recently bought a 4k TV and even the FHD content looks better to me, though it's hard to directly compare a ~7 year old 50" FHD panasonic plasma to a brand new 65" UHD LCD..

Thing is, i WAS looking to buy a PS4 soonish, but with this on the horizon, i'm now firmly waiting..

The plasma should be better since it has superior colour reproduction and blacks, especially a Panasonic
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 4th April 2016, 6:52 AM   #47
power Thread Starter

Quote:
I just recently bought a 4k TV and even the FHD content looks better to me, though it's hard to directly compare a ~7 year old 50" FHD panasonic plasma to a brand new 65" UHD LCD..

Thing is, i WAS looking to buy a PS4 soonish, but with this on the horizon, i'm now firmly waiting..
You won't be the only one doing that if you ask me, I'd personally be very hesitant to buy a PS4 atm until Sony at least fess up to what the hell is going on - the only people who wouldn't be are those who have no idea the PS4K is a thing (ie 99% of dudebros buying consoles).
Old 5th April 2016, 7:05 AM   #48
Smoke87

Quote:
But where ARE the games?? There really isn't many games for each console that makes either of them a 'must buy'
well if you want to reliably find people to play Starwars Battlefront, seems PS4 is your answer :P

www.swbstats.com
Futuremark is my favourite games developer.
Smoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 12:12 PM   #49
sTeeLzor

Well at least this would get me to buy a PS4 finally

I am for it more than against it but then again, I dont have a normal PS4. Realistically, the hardware inside the original PS4/XBO were mildly outdated on release. Wouldnt be hard for them to do a major performance upgrade with current day technology.
sTeeLzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 12:13 PM   #50
sTeeLzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie View Post
The plasma should be better since it has superior colour reproduction and blacks, especially a Panasonic
I feel this is old advice by people stuck in the stone ages. LED have looked far better than Plasmas for god knows how long. Back in 2010 when I worked selling HomeTheatre gear, maybe. But not anymore.
Old 5th April 2016, 5:24 PM   #51
ThunderbirdMoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleposition View Post
I also wonder if the more powerful gpu would allow higher resolution for existing ps4 titles?

Its interesting to note that Playstation VR is going to have increases in performance which makes me think the current console isn't powerful enough and the Playstation 4k will come out around the same time as its release?
Yea that's what I reckon the PS4K is for too. They're souping up the PS4 so it is better future proofed for VR games. If VR on the PS4 is way crappier than on the PC then VR developers will ignore the console and jump ship to the PC.
Core i7-4790K | Corsair 800d (air cooled)| Asus Z97-deluxe | 16Gb RAM | Sapphire R9-290 Trix| 256SSD + 1 + 1 + 3Tb HDDs | Model M + G9x | Yammy 673 | Benq XL2420Z | DLink 2890AL | Samsung GS7E | Ipod Touch 32Gb Black | HP Touch Pad 32Gb androidfied | Samsung Tab S 8.4"
ThunderbirdMoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 7:09 AM   #52
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdMoz View Post
Yea that's what I reckon the PS4K is for too. They're souping up the PS4 so it is better future proofed for VR games. If VR on the PS4 is way crappier than on the PC then VR developers will ignore the console and jump ship to the PC.
The PS4K isn't an official thing - yet, it's all but confirmed but there have been no announcements detailing if and what it is/isn't.

PSVR has a firmish launch date of Q4 this year.

They could really upset a lot of people by announcing @ E3 and then shipping VR before 4K and saying it will make VR better.
Old 6th April 2016, 11:59 AM   #53
6thgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdMoz View Post
The developers will never jump ship lol. They go to the biggest market not what looks best
6thgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 5:26 AM   #54
philscomputerlab
(Taking a Break)

I think this is a great idea if done right.

When the PS4 went with an AMD APU I this idea of newer revisions with faster APUs.

Compatibility with older games could be achieved by clocking down, disabling cores or shaders and whatnot, really simple stuff.
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 4:50 PM   #55
TheWatcher

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/so...-ne/1100-5437/
TheWatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 4:54 PM   #56
neoprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTeeLzor View Post
I feel this is old advice by people stuck in the stone ages. LED have looked far better than Plasmas for god knows how long. Back in 2010 when I worked selling HomeTheatre gear, maybe. But not anymore.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there, my ST60 shit itself and was replaced with a CX700. UHD content aside the ST60 had better picture quality in every single way.
Old 19th April 2016, 4:57 PM   #57
sTeeLzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprint View Post
UHD content aside the ST60 had better picture quality in every single way.
Fair enough. I never saw what people loved in Plasmas so much over the recent LEDs. Its common knowledge that Plasmas have superior picture quality but for the life of me, I can't see it as being clearly superior.
Old 23rd April 2016, 8:35 AM   #58
NiRdoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Good find, it answers a lot of questions and concerns people have raised. I for one will stick to my original PS4 and maybe when I upgrade my TV to a 4k then I'll look at the PS4K or whatever's available at the time.
NiRdoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 5:01 PM   #59
giles666

Super happy with this news. Really like gaming on the PS4 and having one with better graphics is a win in my book. Would be happy for them to do an update every year or two to keep the console up to par. Especially if they continue support for the last two or three generations.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 8:52 AM   #60
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
This is still horseshit.

The PS4NEO will deliver higher framerates and a better gameplay experience than the PS4 @ 1080p.

Quote:
That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version. A local co-op game that features four players on the base PS4 could offer an eight player co-op mode on the NEO, for instance.
hahahahaa.

If you play online games at all competitively, the NEO is a mandatory purchase. Even if you're not competitively engaged - people will start to divide "did that person beat me by being better? or is it because he has a NEO..." which will quickly turn into "NEO is pay 2 win" - regardless of how baseless that statement may/may not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
Super happy with this news. Really like gaming on the PS4 and having one with better graphics is a win in my book. Would be happy for them to do an update every year or two to keep the console up to par. Especially if they continue support for the last two or three generations.
Legitimately then - why aren't you buying a PC?

Last edited by NSanity; 25th April 2016 at 9:00 AM.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote