Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 25th September 2016, 8:41 PM   #46
nimmers Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
I think I'll go and grab some huge pots and drive everything right down, then slowly creep them up until I get something.
Sounds like a nightmare I've had to make a conscious decision not to do things like that, with a small child and another on the way my gaming time is limited and you can really use up heaps of hours tinkering with this stuff.

Im a few hours into Castlevania: Symphony of the Night at the moment. I'm a huge Super Metroid fan and this one was recommended to me by a few people as one I really ought to have played. So far this game does not disappoint!

Picture does no justice, playing on a 14" 800 line PVM via RGB. Very enjoyable

Click to view full size!
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 25th September 2016, 9:03 PM   #47
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimmers View Post
Sounds like a nightmare I've had to make a conscious decision not to do things like that, with a small child and another on the way my gaming time is limited and you can really use up heaps of hours tinkering with this stuff.
I blew a whole weekend on it (still not working properly), and my Neo Geo cab was left untouched. I've had to cut my losses and move on. I'll return to that project when I get the gamesroom finished (which includes getting a couple of my PVM stash up and running too, before a "90s party" my wife is planning).

Quote:
Im a few hours into Castlevania: Symphony of the Night at the moment. I'm a huge Super Metroid fan and this one was recommended to me by a few people as one I really ought to have played. So far this game does not disappoint!

Picture does no justice, playing on a 14" 800 line PVM via RGB. Very enjoyable
There's a handful of titles on the PSX that are the absolute best of 2D gaming. "Gunners Heaven" (also called "Rapid Reload") is another beautiful game - think something between "Metal Slug" and "Gunstar Heroes". "Harmful Park" is another (Cute'em'up similar to Parodius).

C:SotN is a spectacular game for so many reasons. The XBox Live Arcade re-release looked terrible, with washed out graphics. Playing this on a RGB CRT brings a warmth to the graphics that the XBox re-release missed completely. The Saturn version was OK, but the PSX version takes the cake.

If you're a "Super Metroid" fan (easily my favourite game ever across all systems and genres), then also try "Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap" (Sega Master System), also called "Dragon's Curse" (PC-Engine/TurboGrafx16), and get your hands on "AM2R" ("Another Metroid 2 Remake"), which can be played in native 240p via CRT Emudriver / Soft15KHz, or still looks pretty good at VGA/480p. I played it on a 21" PC CRT, and want to replay it with a homemade scanline generator I'm going to have a crack at building.

Last edited by elvis; 25th September 2016 at 9:07 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 9:10 PM   #48
nimmers Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're a "Super Metroid" fan (easily my favourite game ever across all systems and genres), then also try "Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap" (Sega Master System), also called "Dragon's Curse" (PC-Engine/TurboGrafx16), and get your hands on "AM2R" ("Another Metroid 2 Remake"), which can be played in native 240p via CRT Emudriver / Soft15KHz.
Wonderboy 3 I know and love. Good to know about AM2R on an emudriver box. I have one already made up that I use for groovymame so I can load it on there when I get to it. Loved Metroid 2 as a kid, my mate and I mapped the whole thing on graph paper and sent it in to one of the Nintendo magazines who didn't publish it :P
Old 26th September 2016, 9:10 AM   #49
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Then theres dudes in Aus doing stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D0gl9ALcn8

Been searching for a PVM-20L5 in NSW for a while now. Seem pretty hard to come by.
Hahahaha!

I just found out this morning that all the stock in that video comes from the company I work for!

It was sitting in our back dock for ages. I asked the boss if I could buy the BVM, and he ummed and ahhed about it for 6 months. Next thing I know, he's sold it on eBay.

I was a bit upset at first, but knowing it went to RGB Rob, I'm OK with it now.
Old 26th September 2016, 1:04 PM   #50
nimmers Thread Starter

Quote:
Next thing I know, he's sold it on eBay.
Jeez, they can't have been on eBay for long. Didn't see the auction. Do you know what he paid?
Old 26th September 2016, 1:25 PM   #51
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Jeez, they can't have been on eBay for long. Didn't see the auction. Do you know what he paid?
Yeah, I didn't see it either, but that's what I'm told. It was a while ago (it's been sitting in our dock for 2-3 months, I'd say).

"Thousands" was the answer I got for the final cost of the lot. So I can see why they didn't want me to take it when I offered them $100.

Last edited by elvis; 26th September 2016 at 1:47 PM.
Old 29th October 2016, 10:14 PM   #52
Matcat

i scored an old sony trinitron kx27ps1 plays nice with my one chip nes through scart it was being used as a security monitor in a disposals store until i convinced the owner i could do so much more with it didn't seem to get much attention when i posted in the other thread

I shall have to change my forum visitation schedule from daily to hourly, possibly even minutely going by the speed of that clear out
Matcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 4:23 PM   #53
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcat View Post
i scored an old sony trinitron kx27ps1 plays nice with my one chip nes through scart it was being used as a security monitor in a disposals store until i convinced the owner i could do so much more with it didn't seem to get much attention when i posted in the other thread

Got some shots of it in action?
Old 6th November 2016, 2:22 PM   #54
elvis
Old school old fool

Megalo City cabinet converted over from PS2 to GroovyMAME this weekend. Trying to take a video of a Capcom game running at 59.something Hz doesn't work so well at 60.00FPS capture.

Likewise my phone camera craps itself trying to focus on the bright flashing sections.

Last edited by elvis; 6th November 2016 at 2:48 PM.
Old 6th November 2016, 2:34 PM   #55
nimmers Thread Starter

Quote:
Megalo City cabinet converted over from PS2 to GroovyMAME this weekend. Trying to take a video of a Capcom game runnin gat 59.something Hz doesn't work so well at 60.00FPS capture.

Likewise my phone camera craps itself trying to focus on the bright flashing sections.
Nice!

I finished earthbound this week and made a few purchases over the last little while:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Also Bought an MVS and planning to spend some money on some Darksoft gear
Old 6th November 2016, 3:18 PM   #56
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I finished earthbound this week and made a few purchases over the last little while:

pix
pix
pix

Also Bought an MVS and planning to spend some money on some Darksoft gear
So many wonderful toys. Going to be some fun weeks ahead.
Old 6th November 2016, 3:42 PM   #57
nimmers Thread Starter

Quote:
So many wonderful toys. Going to be some fun weeks ahead.
Yep, trying to get a champion edition or hyper fighting board cos it wouldn't be right to have that supergun without that board
Old 10th November 2016, 8:32 PM   #58
schmoove

Quote:
The image is:

pix

Point taken I guess if you played nes over composite as a kid. Your c64 would not have looked like that if you had the commodore monitor, and the games at Timezone definitely didn't look like that. It's an image from 4chan, says it all really.
Of those four pictures, I remember my games looking the first picture on the left.
Also I prefer the first picture on the left.
I played NES via RF and SNES via scart on a big ass CRT back in the day, sitting about 1.5 to 2 metres back.
I've only heard of scanlines because it's an option in some emulators, for example zsnes.
Trades with: rage, dufflover, ummmz, kimnkk, jlien, Pianist, Boink, Tekin, orndorf, theFish, MAXKNOTT, i4560011, search, antstar, Ma Baker, Dinuc, stuii, Dollie, kr0k, Fettrix, WCE07, Beaistheman, Hardboiled, Opti ....... "Pacman is just a neo-Marxist parable of late capitalism"
"Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge on the subject is The Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkin's on theology"
schmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 9:38 PM   #59
nimmers Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoove View Post
Of those four pictures, I remember my games looking the first picture on the left.
Also I prefer the first picture on the left.
I played NES via RF and SNES via scart on a big ass CRT back in the day, sitting about 1.5 to 2 metres back.
I've only heard of scanlines because it's an option in some emulators, for example zsnes.
My home setup was probably more like the far right on my parents discarded early 1980's HMV telly over RF.

On our first Vic 20 we had an old B&W thing.
Old 10th November 2016, 10:11 PM   #60
DonutKing

Most emulators really over do the scanlines. They are present on my TV but I sit far enough back that you don't see them.
DonutKing is offline   Reply With Quote