Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd November 2016, 12:27 PM   #16
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ZemPt View Post
Decent solution for a headless machine, but I believe he still wants to use the monitor/kb/mouse. So he is already running cables for those, just wants to hide the box. So 1 extra cable for power switch isn't really a 'caveman' tactic.
eh, fair enough - I think I've misread the usage case. Someone hides a PC I immediately think headless, if it's what you are describing I like the remote sleep/wake kb options some mentioned.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:13 PM   #17
Fouler Thread Starter

Been a lot of good tips here and appreciate them all - thx!

The remote sleep function is pretty simple and inexpensive but I've got a couple of kids under 10 and they are always in my pc room when I'm at work and mucking around on the desk, so they'd possibly be turning it on from time to time.

Liked the idea of running dual core wire to a switch under one of my monitors. Looked at a mini-ITX case that could house the new BD drive I have and rigging up a USB hub inside. Then put the dual core wire into this mini-ITX case's power button.

But I must say the Jonbanez solution looks like what I had in mind at the start. And what's more it is Aussie made - can't say that about too much IT these days... So yes a big thank you to Jonbanez and to you mad_mic3. Will send you a PM about it. If it doesn't work out as I hope I can put it back up here for another ocau'er.

On another note the project will be requiring some ventilation in the cupboard. Some time ago I'd eyed a cheap low power (<30W) extraction fan in Bunnings and some insulated ducting to rig up to a nearby whirlybird on the roof.

Also contemplating watercooling for cpu and gpu... but hey one step at a time...
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:48 PM   #18
Ratzz

This is what I did. Worked a treat. I used 6 pins of a 7 pin DIN plug to run PWR and HDD LED's, and a power switch, from the desk. Remote powered USB hub, and the hub takes bluetooth, mouse and keyboard, USB DVD, flash drives etc. Never need access to the machine itself.

Very easy job, total cost @ Jaycar <$15.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...8&postcount=10
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, 2x16GB GSkill Trident C15-3200 @ C15-3600, 6700K @ 4500MHz, Gainward Phantom GTX970 @ 1566/1928, 256GB 950 Pro, 2x2TB 2.5" HDD, 280 rad, X3+DDC, EKFC GPU, EK Supreme HF CPU, Fractal Design Define S Nano, Strider Plus 650W, Win10 Pro.
RIP my 6600K, Team Australia OC salutes you
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 1:33 AM   #19
Davo1111

Just dangle a momentary switch from the MB?

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Kw3TI...t-b-Button.jpg
Davo1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 9:00 AM   #20
mad_mic3

replied to your pm
mad_mic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 9:02 AM   #21
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1111 View Post
Just dangle a momentary switch from the MB?

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Kw3TI...t-b-Button.jpg
yeah rip a power switch out of an old case and extend the cables that go to the mobo - done. adjust power settings in windows to what the power button does - very simple that one.