Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 3rd January 2017, 8:59 PM   #16
AbRASiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frag_Lord View Post
I looked at your pricing and it was identical to 6th gen, so no idea where they are getting that from. Interms of Z270 board pricing, I don't think its crazy pricey.
Well the Asrock ITX z170 looks about $180 AUD at the premium stores.
I found the z270 already listed in Singapore at an MSY style high volume store for $218 SGD (around $209 AUD)

I'm pretty sure the last 2 intel releases, the prices have been gouged for 6 to 16 weeks.........
AbRASiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 9:30 PM   #17
headin2001 Thread Starter

We should know what the pricing is soon enough. I am sure there will be a small amount of early adopter tax as usual.

FYI - Added some Temperature Graphs to OP. I cannot add anything else just yet, so just a taste of whats to come. I will add more when my post man finally decides to stop at my house and fill my letterbox with everything I haven't had the past 2 weeks. A'HOLE
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:48 PM   #18
cbwolf

Scorptec already have pages created for the z270 motherboards that they haven't made live yet:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...&postcount=185

As per my previous post, i expect that Aussie retailers either have Kaby Lake CPUs and motherboards already in stock - or in transit for next week
Old 4th January 2017, 7:15 AM   #19
Frag_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwolf View Post
Scorptec already have pages created for the z270 motherboards that they haven't made live yet:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...&postcount=185

As per my previous post, i expect that Aussie retailers either have Kaby Lake CPUs and motherboards already in stock - or in transit for next week
They already have them
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7|i7 7700K|Corsair 16GB 3200 DDR4|MSI Gaming X GTX1070|Asus Xonar STX|Samsung 120GB, 2 x 250GB SSD, Crucial 500GB SSD|WD 3TB| Seasonic X850W|Corsair 600C|Corsair Strafe RGB|Logitech G502|Acer XB271HU|Custom sleeving|Custom water loop|
Trades List
Frag_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 8:54 PM   #20

OP edit - Pictures added of delid 7700k
Old 4th January 2017, 11:33 PM   #21
Kurosaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwolf View Post
All Intel platinum partners have had stock since the 2nd week of december. The boards came in the the week before christmas. Sales embargo lifts am east coast time on the 6th.

Expect a decent hike on price for comparable boards and CPU.

EDIT: People still jogging along on Win7 should snap up the 6th Gen gear while still availible. All the nice things 7th Gen bringing to the table won't play nicely with Win 7

Last edited by Kurosaki; 4th January 2017 at 11:35 PM.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 9:29 AM   #22
cbwolf

Damn is the embargo lifted tomorrow? I thought it was today - I was waiting to put in my order with Scorptec today.
Old 5th January 2017, 11:34 AM   #23
Myne_h

Question...

People de-lid. Ok, fair enough.
But then they use thermal paste and re-lid.

Why not low temperature solder?

http://www.indium.com/low-temperature-alloys/

There's one there that claims to melt at 87C - meaning you could realistically use the CPU's own thermal shutdown temperature (100C) to solder itself perfectly!

Wouldn't this be a far better solution?
You are using it out of context
Myne_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 11:45 AM   #24
zeropluszero

Its been done.
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=145035

See also
http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-...cpu-soldering/
Another freezer's words of wisdom
zeropluszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 1:04 PM   #25
Myne_h

thanks

Looks to be the pure metal they're using rather than the amalgam I found.

Wonder if that makes that much difference
You are using it out of context
Myne_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 2:02 PM   #26
wraith.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
We should know what the pricing is soon enough. I am sure there will be a small amount of early adopter tax as usual.

FYI - Added some Temperature Graphs to OP. I cannot add anything else just yet, so just a taste of whats to come. I will add more when my post man finally decides to stop at my house and fill my letterbox with everything I haven't had the past 2 weeks. A'HOLE

Just wanting some clarification on your temp graphs. In your description you state that you used Coolermaster Maker Nano as the TIM on top of the IHS prior to delidding it and then you write that it was used after delidding for comparison.

So did you then put Maker Nano under the IHS and again on top and if so, your temp graphs don't mention Maker Nano, they only have a Stock 7700K, which I assume is pre-delid, with the Maker Nano on top of the IHS and then the rest is all Kryonaut results.

So which are the results with Maker Nano after delidding ?

Is the results using Kryonaut, with it under the IHS and on also top, or is that with Maker Nano under the IHS and Kryonaut on top?

Also in the Cinebench R15 graph, is that a mistake in the graph or is it really hotter after a delid with Kryonaut, than without a delid and OC to 5ghz ?

Last edited by wraith.50; 5th January 2017 at 2:04 PM.
wraith.50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 2:27 PM   #27
aussie-revhead

Im looking forward to the results on these, lucky guys ready to buy and particpate in the learning stages on release.

Bench 1- Asus Rampage 5 Extreme - Intel 5960x - 32gb of 3200c16 DDR4- 1x Galax GTX1080 Ti HOF - Samsung 960 Evo + Intel 600P m.2 512GB - Enermax Revo1250 - water cooled tech bench - QNIX 2560x1440 screen @ 100Hz - Aten 120Hz KVM
Netbox - Dell 990 SFF - 2500 - 16GB ram - gtx750Ti - 240GB SSD - 2TB green
Current vehicles- Black 2007 ZX14 - VE V8 Calais (wifes car) - VN SS (for sale)
aussie-revhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 3:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith.50 View Post
Just wanting some clarification on your temp graphs. In your description you state that you used Coolermaster Maker Nano as the TIM on top of the IHS prior to delidding it and then you write that it was used after delidding for comparison.

So did you then put Maker Nano under the IHS and again on top and if so, your temp graphs don't mention Maker Nano, they only have a Stock 7700K, which I assume is pre-delid, with the Maker Nano on top of the IHS and then the rest is all Kryonaut results.

So which are the results with Maker Nano after delidding ?

Is the results using Kryonaut, with it under the IHS and on also top, or is that with Maker Nano under the IHS and Kryonaut on top?

Also in the Cinebench R15 graph, is that a mistake in the graph or is it really hotter after a delid with Kryonaut, than without a delid and OC to 5ghz ?
Very good questions.

What I have done so far is run:
1. CPU Stock with CM Maker Nano Paste between CPU and Block.
2. CPU OC with CM Maker Nano Paste between CPU and Block
3. CPU Stock Delidded with Kryonaut under IHS, CM Maker Nano between CPU and Block
4. CPU OC Delidded with Kryonaut under IHS, CM Maker Nano between CPU and Block

I will do further testing with Conductanaut between Die and IHS when it arrives, then I may work on changing the paste between Block and IHS for further differences. I'll do one with CM Maker Nano under and on the IHS too if you like.

Just trying to finish off a board review at present, so priorities are that first, then this unfortunately.

For the Cinebench temps, I messed that up. Thanks for the pickup. I will update with the next batch of testing. Stay tuned.
Old 6th January 2017, 8:59 AM   #29

Thermal Grizzly Conductanaut arrived late yesterday afternoon, so pulled it all out and applied it. Pics for reference on application. Results to follow.....

And installed with CM Maker Nano paste application for reference. I do the same every time.

Old 6th January 2017, 5:21 PM   #30
wraith.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
Very good questions.

What I have done so far is run:
1. CPU Stock with CM Maker Nano Paste between CPU and Block.
2. CPU OC with CM Maker Nano Paste between CPU and Block
3. CPU Stock Delidded with Kryonaut under IHS, CM Maker Nano between CPU and Block
4. CPU OC Delidded with Kryonaut under IHS, CM Maker Nano between CPU and Block

I will do further testing with Conductanaut between Die and IHS when it arrives, then I may work on changing the paste between Block and IHS for further differences. I'll do one with CM Maker Nano under and on the IHS too if you like.

Just trying to finish off a board review at present, so priorities are that first, then this unfortunately.

For the Cinebench temps, I messed that up. Thanks for the pickup. I will update with the next batch of testing. Stay tuned.
Thanks for the clarification.

Is there a reason why you aren't using Kryonaut on top of the IHS?

Isn't Kryonaut the best non conductive TIM or do you think the Maker Nano is better ?
wraith.50 is offline   Reply With Quote