Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th January 2017, 9:44 AM   #16
TehCamel

I used Skykick to take a client from EntityData hosted Exchange to O365
TehCamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th January 2017, 10:01 AM   #17
Reginald85

Another vote for Skykick here.

Have migrated a number of customers off Hosted Exchange platforms to O365 with this.

It would be much quicker (and cheaper in my opinion) to use this service than waste your time on the inbuilt tools or manually migrating each user.
Reginald85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 2:26 PM   #18
-Sk3tChY- Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
What does "hosted exchange" mean in your situation?

Is it just a bunch of mailboxes on someone elses exchange Org

Or is it a proper Multi-Tenant hosted exchange environment
It's a Hosted Exchange account with Uber Global.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehCamel View Post
I used Skykick to take a client from EntityData hosted Exchange to O365
Went to the RHIPE roadshow and saw Skykick in action, looks awfully similar to MigrationWiz - both look to be great products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald85 View Post
Another vote for Skykick here.

Have migrated a number of customers off Hosted Exchange platforms to O365 with this.

It would be much quicker (and cheaper in my opinion) to use this service than waste your time on the inbuilt tools or manually migrating each user.
Skykick seems popular! Will definitely have to take a closer look at it!

Depending on the cost of Skykick though, I'm thinking using the built-in IMAP tool and manually exporting/importing the rest will probably work fine.

Depending on what Skykick migrates over it may even be quicker/simpler because I won't be migrating over users/permissions but rather recreating them entirely.

Regardless of what I do, I'm going to have to manually go around to each machine and reconfigure Outlook with the new mailbox. Quickly exporting contacts+calendar to a PST prior to re-configuring and then importing once reconfigured won't add much time at all.
| Main Rig | i5-2500K @ 4.326Ghz | CM 212+ | Sabertooth P67 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1648Mhz | Asus GTX960 Strix DirectCU II OC 4GB | Silverstone ST75F-P | Fractal Design Define R3 | 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in RAID0 | 3 x Dell U2412M |
-Sk3tChY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 2:55 PM   #19
Dre_

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sk3tChY- View Post
Regardless of what I do, I'm going to have to manually go around to each machine and reconfigure Outlook with the new mailbox. Quickly exporting contacts+calendar to a PST prior to re-configuring and then importing once reconfigured won't add much time at all.
The migration planning part of Skykick is free, so I'd recommend using it for that regardless of how you choose to do the migration.

Quote:
Regardless of what I do, I'm going to have to manually go around to each machine and reconfigure Outlook with the new mailbox.
Skykick automates this part

Give me a buzz and I can run you though it.
Dre_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 3:45 PM   #20
TehCamel

Quote:
as long as they download the outlook assistant, then it does it all itself
TehCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 4:53 PM   #21
NSanity

Quote:
Has anyone used the cutover migration tool with a Hosted Exchange environment?
Yes... But it was my Multi-tenant environment...
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 4:55 PM   #22
-Sk3tChY- Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre_ View Post
The migration planning part of Skykick is free, so I'd recommend using it for that regardless of how you choose to do the migration.

Skykick automates this part

Give me a buzz and I can run you though it.
Ahh snap - definitely need to have a play around with Skykick!

Unfortunately I'm already knee deep in the IMAP migration; have created all the new mailboxes in O365, migration endpoint, CSV file for the migration batch and the migration batch itself is all setup and ready to be kicked off.

I'll be kicking it off in about an hour once everyone's finished up in the office. Ideally, this will copy over all their mail data tonight. It then appears to perform an incremental sync every 24hrs, which will keep everything in sync until I decide to cutover.

EDIT: Just confirmed everyone's out of the office, have kicked off the IMAP migration batch. Everything appears to be syncing fine. Guessing this should complete pretty quickly, then I'll log into one of the mailboxes and confirm it's actually migrated all the mail data and keep the correct folder structure.

This just leaves me with having to attend there office this Friday afternoon to manually perform a few tasks to complete the move. Shouldn't take anymore than an hour or two to physically go through each machine, export calendar+contacts to a PST, reconfigure mail account and then import the PST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehCamel View Post
as long as they download the outlook assistant, then it does it all itself
How/where/what?

Guessing this is perhaps something they can just download from within their O365 web interface and double-click and it will setup Outlook for them?

Unfortunately in this instance, anything short of them simply opening their Outlook client and perhaps having to click next a few times - will result in more work for me.

Physically going around to each machine and manually:

- Export contacts + calendars to PST
- Re-configuring the mail account to O365
- Import PST to O365

For all mailboxes would probably only take me an hour or two to do.

Having to instruct them, go to this website, login with this username and password, download this file, double click this file and it will setup your account will likely result in me receiving multiple phone calls.
| Main Rig | i5-2500K @ 4.326Ghz | CM 212+ | Sabertooth P67 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1648Mhz | Asus GTX960 Strix DirectCU II OC 4GB | Silverstone ST75F-P | Fractal Design Define R3 | 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in RAID0 | 3 x Dell U2412M |

Last edited by -Sk3tChY-; 11th January 2017 at 5:16 PM.
Old 11th January 2017, 4:58 PM   #23
Dre_

Quote:
How/where/what?

Guessing this is perhaps something they can just download from within their O365 web interface and double-click and it will setup Outlook for them?
He means the Skykick Outlook Assistant, either push the MSI via GP, or install manually. Should have paid more attention at my presentation?
Dre_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 5:34 PM   #24
-Sk3tChY- Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
Yes... But it was my Multi-tenant environment...
I've ended up going ahead with the built-in IMAP migration tool for now as it suits my requirements fine.

Seems to be working nicely, it's already synced 6/17 mailboxes and thousands of items for the remaining larger mailboxes. At this rate, the initial sync will probably take less than an hour to complete entirely!

I'll just manually migrate over the last few items like contacts, calendars, autocomplete. For such a small environment, thankfully I have this luxury.

Might read a little more into the cutover migration after I've done this one - provided I've got the username/password for each mailbox, I don't see why it couldn't work in pretty much the exact same manner as the IMAP migration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre_ View Post
He means the Skykick Outlook Assistant, either push the MSI via GP, or install manually. Should have paid more attention at my presentation?
Funnily enough the Skykick demo was one of the most interesting things of the day for me!

We'll definitely catch up a bit at the Azure day! I think for now, this IMAP tool will work just fine.

Last edited by -Sk3tChY-; 11th January 2017 at 5:37 PM.
Old 11th January 2017, 5:36 PM   #25
TheOneWhoIsMany

We tend to use MigrationWiz for Hosted Exchange to Office 365 projects works well. In the best case scenario if you have an account account with access to all the required mailboxes it'll be really easy worst case you'll need to "know" the password for all of your mailboxes which can make things more painful.

Hosted Exchange to Office 365 migrations with MigrationWiz are normally super fast as its a cloud to cloud migration however your Hosted Exchange provider might suck. Are you will to say who it is as I might be able to advise on how easy your migration is likely to be.

There is also plenty of gotchas for young players so if your organisation considers email to be important or you don't have much exposure to email/exchange get a professional to do this for you.
TheOneWhoIsMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 5:39 PM   #26
-Sk3tChY- Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoIsMany View Post
We tend to use MigrationWiz for Hosted Exchange to Office 365 projects works well. In the best case scenario if you have an account account with access to all the required mailboxes it'll be really easy worst case you'll need to "know" the password for all of your mailboxes which can make things more painful.

Hosted Exchange to Office 365 migrations with MigrationWiz are normally super fast as its a cloud to cloud migration however your Hosted Exchange provider might suck. Are you will to say who it is as I might be able to advise on how easy your migration is likely to be.

There is also plenty of gotchas for young players so if your organisation considers email to be important or you don't have much exposure to email/exchange get a professional to do this for you.
Migrating from Uber Global to O365.

I've used MigrationWiz in the past, actually used them with this very same customer to move them from their previous IMAP provider to this Hosted Exchange environment.

Definitely a few "gotchas" I'll have to keep an eye on, hence the reason I've opted to just go with the IMAP tool to migrate the mail data, the other stuff I'll do manually and carefull over the weekend.

As mentioned in my previous post - I've kicked of the IMAP batch and it looks like it's going to migrate all of the data in less than an hour!
Old 11th January 2017, 6:40 PM   #27
Reginald85

Quote:
Depending on what Skykick migrates over it may even be quicker/simpler because I won't be migrating over users/permissions but rather recreating them entirely.

Looks like you've chosen your method so good luck!

But FYI, the Skykick Data Only migration moves all you Mail/Calendar/Contacts over so all you need to do is reconfigure the client and you're good to go
Reginald85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 10:32 PM   #28
-Sk3tChY- Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald85 View Post
Looks like you've chosen your method so good luck!

But FYI, the Skykick Data Only migration moves all you Mail/Calendar/Contacts over so all you need to do is reconfigure the client and you're good to go
Yeah, I think I'd definitely go with something like Skykick for a larger migration, the built-in tools (at least IMAP) seem fairly primitive.

The built-in IMAP migration for now seems like it will do the job fine. It does look to be a little bit messy, it creates sub-folders like "Contacts_0" and "Calendar_0" for the Exchange items, but they're just empty because they don't contain mail data.

Again, not a huge issue - I can manually clean this up as I'm manually going around and reconfiguring the Outlook clients, but if it were a larger migration it wouldn't really be ideal.
Old 12th January 2017, 7:13 AM   #29
NSanity

Quote:
I've ended up going ahead with the built-in IMAP migration tool for now as it suits my requirements fine.
Except it didn't touch non mail items.

Have fun.
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 12:44 PM   #30
SirNemesis

We use MigrationWiz for pretty much every migration. We've tried Skykick too but it just doesn't work as well.