Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Old 17th July 2017, 11:17 AM   #1
ohfor88smiley Thread Starter

Default NAS or enclosure with built in Wi-Fi (direct connect via phone/laptop when onthe run)

do 1 or 2 bay NAS's or 3.5" enclosure's with built in Wi-Fi exist that you can direct connect via phone or laptop with out being connected to a home network ?

i can find lots of them for 2.5" drives but not a NAS or 3.5" enclosure!

it would be very handy in a 1bay or 2bay setup as cables defeat the purpose of phones, tablets and laptops when you are on the move and 2.5" drives are very limited in capacity

all i could find in 3.5" was "Synology's DS213air" thats over 5yrs old

if any one has any ideas or know of some thing post away

thanks
Successful Trades too Many to List. Donating $1 from ea item i sell to the Repat Hospital & thx u MrBigglesworth & vladtepes for donating $20ea totalling $182

Last edited by ohfor88smiley; 17th July 2017 at 11:20 AM.
ohfor88smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Kurosaki

From experience any current Synology NAS with a USB port will let you plug in a WIFI adaptor and give you the wifi functionality.
Kurosaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 1:00 PM   #3
ohfor88smiley Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
From experience any current Synology NAS with a USB port will let you plug in a WIFI adaptor and give you the wifi functionality.
maybe i am confused as from what i understood was that the wifi was to connects the nas to a LAN via a AP.
or
the NAS via RJ45 and use wifi like a AP for when your router did not have wifi so other devices can access the net

cool so you are saying can access the files on the NAS via wifi with out the nas connected to the LAN or internet ? (only plugged in to power?
Successful Trades too Many to List. Donating $1 from ea item i sell to the Repat Hospital & thx u MrBigglesworth & vladtepes for donating $20ea totalling $182
ohfor88smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 2:17 PM   #4
Kurosaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfor88smiley View Post
cool so you are saying can access the files on the NAS via wifi with out the nas connected to the LAN or internet ? (only plugged in to power?
Once the WIFI adaptor is plugged into the USB port, the native APP inside the Synology NAS lets you choose what you want to do with it.

You can have it connected to a exiesting WIFI network or you can set it up as a stand alone router/ap.
Kurosaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 8:42 AM   #5
akashra

It doesn't make a great deal of sense to put this in to hardware in a unified device when so many other viable options are available off the shelf giving the user choice of the method, technology and devices used for implementation.

You would be better off using the second ethernet port to connect directly to a bridge, or to use a USB device directly connected to the device, or to simply rely on any border router providing that second connection.