Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Old 13th October 2017, 6:53 PM   #6106
miicah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydome View Post
Why do that when the soundblaster does the job satisfactory and is within my budget?

But yeah thanks for not helping at all and thanks for just been abusive.
If you think the responses you got here were abusive you wont last long on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
Its specifically for gaming so surround and a good mic are the most important features, good sound quality helps but doesnt have to be audiophile level. At the moment hes looking under $200 but I wouldnt mind knowing all options anyway (christmas is coming).

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X + modmic? Or substitute the closed model (ATH-AD700X) if you don't want any sound leakage. I know this is a little over budget but it's what I'd be buying if I was buying right now.

Don't buy into the hype of 5.1/7.1 for gaming, you can get way better positional audio with a good set of open stereo cans.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 6:56 PM   #6107
connico

So

For general use and multi connection support I'd personally go the SteelSeries Siberia 650 Headset at the budget. Its actually got decent drivers.. supports USB and 3.5mm and sound surprisingly good. These are my backup CANs if I leave my ATs at work..

But, if your son cares about good audio and you want multipurpose use and something that will last a very long time with good serviceability then I would look at audio specific cans and use a attached boom mic...

I have a special place for Audio Technica as do many on the forums..

So I'd look at three sets for different budgets

ATH-M50XRD - newest revisions and funky. No need for amplifer.
ATH-MSR7 Rev 1 - these are on discount now since there are new ones now. Consider an amplifier / dac but i use them with my phone with no issues
ATH-M50x - discounted now but still good!

All these headsets come with various cables and can be used with a smart phone for phone calls. So his going to get multiple uses out of them.

If you decide on the ATH let me know I might be able to help procure with a discount. Regardless just attached a microphone to them like Zalman, Antlion or sena

Last edited by connico; 13th October 2017 at 6:58 PM.
connico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 7:43 PM   #6108
kEv_

hey i thought i might get on this while someone who seems to know about AT headphones is around! [looks at connico]

i am considering the ATH-AG1X's, they're not exactly cheap so i wouldnt mind hearing of any experiences people have had,
reviews claim they are pretty bloody good at FPS, and the mic is good

i want the closed ones cause - red & black, but would the open ones be "that much" better,

they will be 95% for gaming, bf4, CoH, csgo, css

i have a creative x-fi titanium fatality soundcard

also open to other suggestions

cheers and thanks!

EDIT: oh, i have steelseries siberia v2's atm if it matters
Old 13th October 2017, 8:03 PM   #6109
connico

Regarding the ATH-AG1X I've got a pair sitting on my work desk for testing.

Drivers are brilliant for gaming as per most reviews. The primary reason are the drivers and how they have been tuned. The sound is very bright and the bass has great impact. The headsets are definitely not for music as its much too bright and peaky.

The mic is to be as expected, didn't get in the way and the sound quality was really good. Still AT know a few things about microphones so its as expected. A touch to sensitive if anything.

The issue with them is the head band, everyone in the office tried them for a couple of hours. 80% hated them. I personally didn't like them as they didn't hug my head enough and the head pads where a little loose and unsupportive.

The guys that did like them had larger heads. So the headset fit them fine. I'd try before I buy.

Sound wise I prefer a truer sound from the ATH-MSR7 that I use daily.

You can bin the Siberias V2s if you get these.. not a true sound from a music perspective but just great for gaming.

Edit: if you get a couple of buddies (10ish) to buy them with you lol. I could help with a distributor discount direct from the supplier. I would think $230ish would be achievable excluding shipping though.

Last edited by connico; 13th October 2017 at 8:07 PM.
connico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 9:03 PM   #6110
kEv_

sweet mate, thanks for the detailed reply!

my bro has the original ad700's so i have tried the head band, kind of..., but not for hours and hours,
they did feel a bit strange at first, but they seemed pretty comfortable as i got used to them over a round or 2 of bf4
isnt there some trick with a rubber band or something people do?
i have a smaller-->average sized head, sometimes the v2's do feel a little tight tho

while i understand the steelseries arent high quality audio cans, they have lasted prob 5 or so years and they have been great for gaming, even when i was on on-board sound, 775/1155 era!
the current ones i use will go in the bin, the in-line volume knob has developed a habit of dropping a channel/crackling badly if it moves the wrong way, i have another pair for a spare if needed

haha, unfortunately i could maybe get 1 buddy who would need a major arm twisting to even consider getting new cans, will have to pay full price for just the one set i'm afraid
i dont mind spending the cash, i have friggin' earnt a bit of a splurge recently, i just want to try and have as much info on them so i can try and avoid any buyers remorse

cheers and thanks again
Old 13th October 2017, 9:46 PM   #6111
Matthew kane

The fitting on the entire ATH-AD series is a hit and miss but mostly a miss, pretty shit engineering the way they’ve done the wing flaps that rest on your head. If you have a small head then prepare to brace yourself for a loose fitting with the headphones not sitting snuggly ovee your head. Matter of fact I sent AT’s support in Japan rough designs to pass onto there engineers to considee future ATH models to adopt so the fit is more universal. They should look and try the Sennheisers or AKG’s as a perfect example.

Ps typing on mobile is aids.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 96GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Pascal Titan's | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 1:15 AM   #6112
Walshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by connico View Post
The issue with them is the head band, everyone in the office tried them for a couple of hours. 80% hated them. I personally didn't like them as they didn't hug my head enough and the head pads where a little loose and unsupportive.

The guys that did like them had larger heads. So the headset fit them fine. I'd try before I buy.
I obviously have a big enough head, because I find my ATH-ADG1 headset quite comfortable, even for hours at a time. The fact that it's quite light helps with that, I think. It definitely doesn't sit properly on my kids, though.

I'm very happy with the sound, though. Can't remember how much I paid for them, but they're worth every cent, IMHO.
Walshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 5:35 AM   #6113
adamsleath

the ath ive had , the pad design, and the fact they are very light, make them the most comfortable fit of all hphones that ive had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
That's just my opinion and no-one has to share it nor do I need to be converted.
adamsleath is offline   Reply With Quote