Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 11th May 2017, 11:42 PM   #1036
Cthom

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
Apple announced a new line of MacBook Pro. These were long overdue, but on first look, it seems like Apple have done a really good job.

The TouchBar thing looks like it will be very useful, and TouchID on the Mac is awesome.

The prices are a little bit steep though, quite a jump over the previous line.

http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro/
Man this is disappointing, on such high prices apple just made advance only touch ID and few small setups. I was looking for some more advancement.
Old 21st June 2017, 2:34 PM   #1037
Zee

They've updated the CPU's now at least. I've bought quite a few of these for clients now (yeay, my Apple Business discount is pretty good these days), and they are quite a nice machine. The touchbar is a gimmick, and I'd go a 13" with no touchbar for myself, and hopefully get a bit more battery life, though I do think the key travel is just a bit too short now. Feels odd typing on it, not sure if I'd get used to it or not, though.

Z...
Old 21st June 2017, 3:48 PM   #1038
Elyzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
They've updated the CPU's now at least. I've bought quite a few of these for clients now (yeay, my Apple Business discount is pretty good these days), and they are quite a nice machine. The touchbar is a gimmick, and I'd go a 13" with no touchbar for myself, and hopefully get a bit more battery life, though I do think the key travel is just a bit too short now. Feels odd typing on it, not sure if I'd get used to it or not, though.

Z...
You do get used to it, I had a Macbook 12", took me a week and I could type normally on it. But it did feel much harder to type when I had the laptop on my lap. The travel wasn't as noticeable.

I have 3 co-workers with the 13" with touch bar. 1 hated it from day 1, the other 2 liked it and said it was awesome. But after a while they hate it and say they miss the buttons.

I still think the touch bar would have been better as an addition to the f1 keys (above), especially as a transition period.
Elyzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 2:06 PM   #1039
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyzion View Post
You do get used to it, I had a Macbook 12", took me a week and I could type normally on it. But it did feel much harder to type when I had the laptop on my lap. The travel wasn't as noticeable.

I have 3 co-workers with the 13" with touch bar. 1 hated it from day 1, the other 2 liked it and said it was awesome. But after a while they hate it and say they miss the buttons.

I still think the touch bar would have been better as an addition to the f1 keys (above), especially as a transition period.
This would have made sense, not like there is no space...

Z...
Old 24th June 2017, 10:25 AM   #1040
wolfie81

This is prolly the best thread to post.

Ive had a 2015 new MacBook that had major issues in the last 2 years. Logic board replaced because of PSU failure, cables and USB C port replaced, on another occasion the entire keyboard due to a failure of one key and lower shell replaced (the stupid design means shell and keyboard all needs to be replaced) and on today's occasion, the battery failed at 300 cycles.

Fed up with the time and energy invested in these repairs, I went to the Apple Store this morning asking for a replacement rather than a replacement of the battery.

They approved it without issue, and so got another machine. This time its the 2017 model brand new in the box. I often rip into Apple a lot, and that will still be the case, especially with their poor business decisions and limited consumer options. Today, they actually did something great and i think I just had a terrible run of bad luck with the 2015 laptop. I finally walk away from that store happy.

Last edited by wolfie81; 24th June 2017 at 10:32 AM.
wolfie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 10:50 AM   #1041
Zee

This is what the premium covers - service. A lot of people do not understand this.

I travel a lot, I spend 6 months of my year in other countries. if my Mac Air, or my phone die - I'm losing money.

I've had my phone (iPhone 5) randomly die when in the US - took it in to random apple store, replaced with a refurb in about 20 minutes. I can do the same for my Mac Air, iPad or any other Apple product.

I had an Asus router die on me a few years back 6 months in, it took a month to get the repair sorted, and they ended up just giving me a new one. What am I supposed to do for for a month without a router? Had similar things with Samsung phones, various brand laptops - they all take at least weeks, if not months to get sorted.

When it's your work, and it's required for making money, it makes sense. I'm sure a uni student would agree, actually...

I agree with you in terms of their decisions, but, as you say, when it comes to the crunch, they do deliver.

Z...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie81 View Post
This is prolly the best thread to post.

Ive had a 2015 new MacBook that had major issues in the last 2 years. Logic board replaced because of PSU failure, cables and USB C port replaced, on another occasion the entire keyboard due to a failure of one key and lower shell replaced (the stupid design means shell and keyboard all needs to be replaced) and on today's occasion, the battery failed at 300 cycles.

Fed up with the time and energy invested in these repairs, I went to the Apple Store this morning asking for a replacement rather than a replacement of the battery.

They approved it without issue, and so got another machine. This time its the 2017 model brand new in the box. I often rip into Apple a lot, and that will still be the case, especially with their poor business decisions and limited consumer options. Today, they actually did something great and i think I just had a terrible run of bad luck with the 2015 laptop. I finally walk away from that store happy.
Old 24th June 2017, 11:44 AM   #1042
MUTMAN

who has a business critical device (not just phone/pc) and doesnt keep redundancy/backup as part of the plan ? what if device is broken because of your own fault?

this attitude of relying on apple screams shortsightedness
MUTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 1:28 PM   #1043
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
who has a business critical device (not just phone/pc) and doesnt keep redundancy/backup as part of the plan ? what if device is broken because of your own fault?

this attitude of relying on apple screams shortsightedness
Back ups? Yes. Spare laptops and phones just lying around? Not so much. I'm a small business (on the smallest scale), not huge corporate. I don't know what budget other people have, but I can't just buy two of everything...

As for my own fault, that's what the credit card and insurance is for.

Z...
Old 24th June 2017, 3:58 PM   #1044
MUTMAN

I get what you're saying about apples service levels being superior to all others. and its a fair comment from what i've seen. you pay for what you get

it was this line that i took objection to.
Quote:
When it's your work, and it's required for making money, it makes sense. I'm sure a uni student would agree, actually...
data backup would be of greater value, as PC's are everywhere. a spare phone rather trivial to have lying around

edit - remove clutter. time to move on. sorry for the thread crap.
MUTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote