Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Portable & Small Form Factor

Notices

Old 8th March 2017, 8:24 AM   #2326
Badger
Caveat lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Property View Post
Nah not really interested in second hand, I was only really half interested in the Streams because every store seemed to have them on special and I wanted to see if anyone actually had one that could give a real world review. Chances are I'll end up spending $400+ when I finally find something I like I'm just not going to rush into it if I have to spend that much.
I had a look at the stream but ended up getting a lenovo 100s instead. was a bit nicer, thinner and cheaper.
Had some issues straight away with windows 10 downloading 9 GB of updates onto the 32 GB drive, but no problems since I told it my connection was metered... Has an sd card slot which gives extra storage too. Everything runs quick enough for me, even plays a few low demand games.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 9:01 AM   #2327
Lost Property

As much as I'd prefer not to buy from Hardly Normal I see they have a 110E, it doesn't have glowing reviews but most of what I have read call it an ideal first laptop. Has a 500Gb drive as well which will make things easier than a 32GB SSD. No one else has the same models locally so I'm still looking and may revert to online but I'm not rushing just yet.
Lost Property is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 10:50 AM   #2328
negatron

Hello all! It's time for a new laptop for the Mrs.

Was hoping you all can recommend something.

Her current one is a sony vaio T, which is great because it had both an ssd in the pcie slot and space to put a slim hdd in so I could jam a 1tb in there for bulk storage.

Now she's after a 14-15 inch lappy. Budget of 2k. As this will be her only Pc. What would you all recommend?

I would have gone the xps 15, or even a refurbished one from dfo. But it doesn't look like you can add more storage in those, and 256 gb ssd seems limiting...
negatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 10:22 AM   #2329
styx119
(Banned or Deleted)

Default just share the idea

i am looking to buy laptop recently as well, choosing between Gigabyte/Asus/MSI for gaming using, and i saw the GE62 from MSI looks pretty good with performance, but it's heavy for me as i am looking for the slim version gaming model~~~ if you are in SYD you may go to the computer shop in city, the computer square on George to have a look, i tried few units there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negatron View Post

Her current one is a sony vaio T, which is great because it had both an ssd in the pcie slot and space to put a slim hdd in so I could jam a 1tb in there for bulk storage.

Now she's after a 14-15 inch lappy. Budget of 2k. As this will be her only Pc. What would you all recommend?

I would have gone the xps 15, or even a refurbished one from dfo. But it doesn't look like you can add more storage in those, and 256 gb ssd seems limiting...
styx119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 10:25 AM   #2330
vitimlove

Default PC performance laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by negatron View Post

Mate: within your budget around 2K its good to have a laptop for her tho...and there are some promotions recently maybe you can think about that.Kong computer they have some special deal and free to add up the ram tho...
vitimlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 4:25 PM   #2331
nushydude

Has anyone here bought the Metabox Alpha N850HJ. I'm considering buying it from Kong Computers with 16GB RAM upgrade and Intel 8265 Wi-Fi card @$1487.

Concerned about the typing experience offered by the keyboard and the tracking quality offered by the trackpad (+ Synaptics drivers). Honestly won't be used for gaming; just need a fast laptop with a quad core chip.
Intel Core i7 4790K | A-DATA 16GB DDR3-2400 | Asus Z97i Plus | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Antec Kuhler 620 | Silverstone SG13 | Silverstone SX500-LG | QNIX QX2710 | Logitech G602 | Logitech Generic PS/2 Keyboard | Audiotechnica ATH-AD500X | Edifier Exclaim E10
nushydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:10 PM   #2332
vitimlove

Default Free upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushydude View Post
Has anyone here bought the Metabox Alpha N850HJ. I'm considering buying it from Kong Computers with 16GB RAM upgrade and Intel 8265 Wi-Fi card @$1487.

Concerned about the typing experience offered by the keyboard and the tracking quality offered by the trackpad (+ Synaptics drivers). Honestly won't be used for gaming; just need a fast laptop with a quad core chip.
but i saw their website shows free upgrade tho.or they have special model only?maybe need to find out more
vitimlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 6:52 AM   #2333
nushydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitimlove View Post
but i saw their website shows free upgrade tho.or they have special model only?maybe need to find out more
They don't have a special model. That price is with the free upgrades they offer and with the upgrades I want.
Intel Core i7 4790K | A-DATA 16GB DDR3-2400 | Asus Z97i Plus | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Antec Kuhler 620 | Silverstone SG13 | Silverstone SX500-LG | QNIX QX2710 | Logitech G602 | Logitech Generic PS/2 Keyboard | Audiotechnica ATH-AD500X | Edifier Exclaim E10
nushydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 2:52 PM   #2334
sanjeevlives

so i was needing a better cheapo notebook for travel [movies and interwebz] and came across this cheap chinese Onda Xiaoma

just ordered it and will see how it goes but does play 4k movies which is a bonus for outputting to TVs

|| 4790K @ 4.7 | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16GB Gskill 2400 | EVGA 1070 SC | Sound Blaster Z | Sandisk 960gb | 8tb | Corsair AX860 | Phanteks Evolv Glass | LG 34UC79G-B | Logitech Z623 ||
Tracking the IPA's impact on Australia
It's no longer "our" government. The government is now the sole proprietorship of global corporate interests. - ThankDog
sanjeevlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 7:06 AM   #2335
doug81

Need to get a new laptop so hoping for some recommendations.

Current is a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook that I bought in 2012 but after 5 years the battery is down to about 4 hrs and I'd prefer a FHD screen. Wish they still made them as it's a damn good laptop, and the design is nearly impossible to beat (still get's a 'wow' every now and then as it's thin as fuck and looks awesome).

Sammy released an i5 version last year that looked pretty good, but was a bit mid-range. Been looking at the Dell XPS15 which seems like it's the one to beat at the moment...

Looking for:
i7 (6th or 7th gen)
FHD screen
16G+ RAM
256+ SSD
thin, lightweight, long battery (ultrabook I guess)
<$2500

Is there anything else out there worth considering? Will need to purchase before June 30...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
My tongue just came in my mouth........
doug81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:01 PM   #2336
pezzy

going to japan in a months time and thinking of picking up a vaio s11. does anyone know much about these notebooks? main questions are;

- is the battery removable?
- ssd and ram both soldered onto mobo?
- any ram expansion slots?
- do all usb type c support hdmi alt mode?
- are current notebooks uefi now? if so, is there an option to change it to english? assuming it will all be in japanese.
pezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 10:51 AM   #2337
supasaiyan

Xiaomi Air... what's the go on them? i know they are grey imports, but for that price it's pretty damned good
supasaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 12:54 PM   #2338
DreamingWet

Looking for a bit of help on buying a new laptop

I don't play that many games other than OW and WoW and besides that I don't really use it for anything too strenuous other than drawing. I currently have an old MSI GT70 Dominator that has been with me for over a year now since being bought 2nd hand. I love this thing but it is getting on and it's time for an upgrade.

Current specs (pulled from Google):
17in (1920 x 1080) matt TN display.
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-4800MQ (3.7 GHz Turbo Boost)
8 GB DDR3 memory.
128 GB mSATA SSD.
1 TB 2.5in hard disk.
nVidia GeForce GTX 870M with 6 GB memory

My main use for a newer laptop would only honestly be to play a wider range of games, games that I wouldn't be able to play well or at all right now. Weight isn't an issue as it isn't going to move from my desk. If I could I'd like to stay with a 17inch screen but willing to settle for something smaller.

I don't have the space for a desktop and I'm not sure when I will so if I can at least get a year or two out of it I'd be very happy.

As far as gaming laptops go I'm completely in the dark.

I have a budget of $3,000-$4,000.

If anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated
DreamingWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 5:38 AM   #2339
slashrox

Can anyone recommend a good gaming laptop for approx $2000-2500? Needs to be suitable for COD, Forza, CS:GO etc if possible.
slashrox is offline   Reply With Quote