Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Old 16th September 2017, 9:59 AM   #5566
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I always thought the C64 was pretty ugly, I preferred my 800XL.
I always loved the breadbin C64, hence why I've still got one!

I remember getting a 600XL for free in the day brand new in box, no idea what happened to that, it disappeared when I moved out of home.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 1:02 PM   #5567
elvis
Old school old fool

Retro activity I *didn't* get up to today: Signed up for Netherworld's Street Fighter tournament (even paid the $20 entry fee). Woke up this morning to a very sick little boy, and had to cancel. Ah well.

Poor little bugger looks miserable. So I'll stream the event on Twitch today instead. Would have been nice to play some high level Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting again. It's been a very long time since I've had a good game with some high level folks. I'd mentally prepared myself to lose miserably.

[edit] Aww, and the early heats are all pretty rubbish players. Now I'm sad...

Last edited by elvis; 17th September 2017 at 1:23 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 8:03 PM   #5568
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Retro activity I *didn't* get up to today: Signed up for Netherworld's Street Fighter tournament (even paid the $20 entry fee). Woke up this morning to a very sick little boy, and had to cancel. Ah well.

Poor little bugger looks miserable. So I'll stream the event on Twitch today instead. Would have been nice to play some high level Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting again. It's been a very long time since I've had a good game with some high level folks. I'd mentally prepared myself to lose miserably.

[edit] Aww, and the early heats are all pretty rubbish players. Now I'm sad...
Oh the joys of kids...

....But you've gotta love 'em...

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 8:13 PM   #5569
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
Oh the joys of kids...

....But you've gotta love 'em...
Absolutely. He loves his Street Fighter anyway, so he's all good by me.

While I was stuck at home today, I built a Raspberry Pi setup that autoboots into a random black and white Dr Who episode. I'm going to hook that up to an RF modulator to play back through a very old we've got at work as a bit of an art piece.

That's good enough for my retro tinkering for the day.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 8:24 PM   #5570
psyolent

well i got my amiga 2000 working again today. the vartabomb had exploded so that was removed, and, the CPU socket was none too good - so removed that as well - resolder in IC socket 'pins' as the 68K sockets are almost unobtanium - and - we have success.

i had to re-do the FDD cables as well, as they were green and full of yuck.

one of the FDD is not too good though - the drive motor was siezed but once unstuck started spinning disk. my workbench disk does have errors ; not sure if its the disk itself or the drive which is beyond it.

quite happy another one is back from the dead

symptom was black screen of death
psyolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 10:18 PM   #5571
Matthew kane

It's been nearly 10 years since I last thought of the idea of building the best socket 370 and best socket 478 build's primarily for extreme overclocking.

The best motherboards for the socket 370 has always been the TUSL2 or the ST6 as these boards have been used to break certain WR overclocks with various Coppermine and Tualatin architecture processors. I know this from first hand experience back in 2004 and 2007 with having topped out a few personal WR overclocks of my own on a few Celeron Coppermines.

Hard drive will be anything basic and I have heaps of SDRAM. AGP card I'm uncertain at the moment, maybe a nice Geforce Ti 4800 if I can find one. I do have a Leadtek Ti 4200 64mb card on hand.

For the 478 socket platform I'm definitely going for the P4P800 or P4C800 range motherboards, these boards are solid for overclocking the stubborn old Northwood P4's and are extremely solid even under LN2 cooling. The IC7/Max3 looks nice also and well regarded but they are more picky with what goes on them than what they can output in performance prowess.

The DFI 875 chipset 478 motherboards that came out later looked nice as they were orange, but they sucked for overclocking in comparison the former 2 mentioned.

RAM would be some very specially binned Corsair CMX or Performance modules, I have one CMX stick with the LED, hopefully can get another for matching dual channel performance.

For AGP, this will be a long shot but it will be a 9800XT 256mb or the original leafblower styled 5950 ultra or maybe a 5900xt in the meantime which has been regarded to be a slower clocked 5950.

Have started planning the builds and looking around for parts.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 9:19 AM   #5572
psyolent

so after my successful CPU socket replacement on my a2000

now its onto the next one
the battery is removed and so far it actually doesn't look too bad. cleaned it with vinegar and a toothbrush lastnight, then, washed off with water, then, followed up with some isopropyl

traces look good around that area
Old Yesterday, 9:41 PM   #5573
badmofo

I spent some time modding my SMD (1) recently to allow it to do 60Hz. Getting 60 Hz is as simple as cutting a trace and adding a switch in the first instance, but my composite-only telly was a complicating factor because going 60Hz results in black-and-white in svideo / composite. But of course there’s a mod for that too:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/mega-drive...hz-colour-mod/

This extra step was somewhat daunting for a hack like me but it all went smoothly enough - worked first time actually, no twiddling of the variable capacitor required. The colours are perfect and the image quality wasn't impacted.

I did this primarily to allow me to try out 60 Hz with my SMS collection - I was feeling a little squeamish about messing around with my treasured SMS model 1. But having seen the noticeably better image quality this SMD produces with my SMS games, and seeing what an improvement 60 Hz makes for most of them, my fear is that my SMS is redundant hardware now.

Out of my 15 or so SMS carts, the only one that isn't 17.5% more awesome is Sonic 1, which hitches sometimes. But everything else looks and plays great - loving the speed boost and un-squashed image.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #5574
DonutKing

Good work!
Yeah sonic 1 occasionally drops frames for me too, in 60hz mode. I think the game is just like that, pushing the CPU to its limit.
I kinda feel like the music is better in 50hz anyway :P
Old Today, 7:40 AM   #5575
psyolent

and another recovered A2000
had a grey screen and vartabomb.

now has the much more likable purple screen of 2.04 Roms
Old Today, 9:37 AM   #5576
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
Good work!
Yeah sonic 1 occasionally drops frames for me too, in 60hz mode. I think the game is just like that, pushing the CPU to its limit.
I kinda feel like the music is better in 50hz anyway :P
Glad it's not just me

Yars I thought the faster music would bother me but I was used to it in no-time, probably because the rest of the experience is so nice. Super Tennis was never quite challenging enough on the hardest setting @50hz but the speed boost keeps you on your toes. And I was very pleased to find that Enduro Racer handles consistently now, where previously the controls would miss a beat every now and then - usually when you needed them the most.
Old Today, 10:35 AM   #5577
callan

Interesting mod, Badmofo!. looks quite tidy

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 3:23 PM   #5578
jimbogimp

Got excited late last night and bought a socket A combo off eBay. Foolish me forgot to check if it was nforce2 and found out today after more research it's a runk SiS chipset. Bummer!

Ah well at least I've got a starting point to rebuild my first "real" pc. Hopefully I'll start up a log once I get busy.
Old Today, 5:03 PM   #5579
shane41

I've got em matey in crate loads. What can you temp me on to let NF2 go