Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Old Yesterday, 3:31 PM   #1396
caspian

I can check your individual line if you like to verify that what the manual says is correct and that it's just a peculiarity of the GUI. or if it's not broken, don't fix it is good too.

I found quite a few of them around the network, so either everyone is reading the manual or you can either set it to "on" or DSLAM-controlled and get the same result? I don't have one in my lab to verify, unfortunately.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 4:06 PM   #1397
BelowAverageIQ

Caspian, I would have thought you would have Beaker as your avatar, having a lab and all

http://gph.is/1jfH2kH
BelowAverageIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #1398
TRG.dOinK

Can HFC NBN be working and then not be? Sounds stupid, but my brother in-law switched over to NBN HFC last Monday, I went there, set it up, all was working fine with good speed.

Three days later, there's no net, and the modem lights are flashing, meaning somethings wrong on the NBN side of things.

I told my brother in law to give it a day or two, probably some outage but still there is no net. He rang ABB and was told NBN isn't activated or provisioned or something? I'm only getting second hand information but to me that does not sound right at all, I doubt it can work for a day or two, and then not be activated? Something doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited by TRG.dOinK; Yesterday at 10:43 PM.
TRG.dOinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 7:28 AM   #1399
caspian

outages are outages, the only thing I'd expect the access seeker to check for is whether it's planned work or not.

doubt the service has become unprovisioned though, sounds a bit like chinese whispers getting lost in translation there. if the service isn't working then ABB should be logging a fault with NBN, to my knowledge HFC modem lights should be on all the time or there's an issue.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
Old Today, 11:14 AM   #1400
PMack_525

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMack_525 View Post
I’ve literally just done this as of yesterday. Fought with TPG for the past almost 2 months but got out of the contract and switched to ABB. Just waiting for internet to be reconnected again. TPG have shitty customer service and never follow up with issues etc. We had 2 modems die and they took no responsibility- I bought a decent modem and haven’t had issues since then and their response was “we can send you a new modem as that’s the issue”.

So yes, definitely switch.
To follow up from this, connected now after around 36 hours. I made a mistake during the signup and had to call in. They answered immediatly even though I was calling at 6:30pm (figured it would be pretty busy) and explained what it was that had held it up (i selected inactive service instead of service transfer). So it would have been done much sooner otherwise. Speed is the same, slightly lower ping compared to TPG(9ms vs 12ms)

Pretty happy with ABB just with the signup process. Will report back if anything else comes up
PMack_525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #1401
zed_kid

Looks like the case is stacking up for ABB being the best supplier? Good to know for future reference.
zed_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:18 PM   #1402
PMack_525

Yeah, it now comes down to customer service basically as far as ISP selection. Your going to get the same connection regardless.

I have been with Internode in the past but am not sure what they are like now (was overseas for 4 years but they were fantastic before that)
PMack_525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:00 PM   #1403
Cape_Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post

ABB also have a 250/100 plan for $150. I'm tempted.
hmm...
I am getting quoted at 170/m...
@150, I might consider moving...
Originally Posted by mshagg View Post
Lol, yeah but deadlifting 200kg is OCAU's answer to everything...
Cape_Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 3:07 PM   #1404
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape_Horn View Post
hmm...
I am getting quoted at 170/m...
@150, I might consider moving...
I just thought I'd check and see how much data that included. I've only been looking at 500GB plans, but thought I'd have a double check. Bizarre thing is though, that plan which I looked at only a couple of weeks ago (250/100, no phone, 500GB) is now $170 It was definitely $150 last time I looked.

Out of interest, I thought I'd check out the larger plans.

1TB = $220
2TB = $280
3TB = a paltry $350 monthly.

Ouch. But I guess that's what you have to pay for reliable speeds and decent service.

Still tempted by the 500GB plan. Of course, its only in some areas too. I haven't even checked out whether I can get those speeds at my place.

How much data do you get for your quoted $170?

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 3:27 PM   #1405
Beanz

I signed up with Foxtel NBN (FTTN) as already had a Foxtel ADSL bundle and the whole process was pretty seamless.

The standard plan is 25/5 and 23/4 is what I was getting when it was first connected but I paid the extra $10 for speedboost to 50/20 and am getting about 46/18. I've had it for a week and it's been fine so far. It is unlimited also so no problem with data limits. I'm paying $85 for 50/20 NBN. I don't think that's too bad!

Also, I never saw anyone. I just plugged the NBN modem in when my ADSL stopped working and that was it.

All in all, I have no complaints at all and the only niggle would be that the installation was pushed back 2 days. :-)
Beanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:14 PM   #1406
cvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Still tempted by the 500GB plan. Of course, its only in some areas too. I haven't even checked out whether I can get those speeds at my place.
Probably only available on FTTP locations.
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 5:37 PM   #1407
shadowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed_kid View Post
Looks like the case is stacking up for ABB being the best supplier? Good to know for future reference.
I'm using Telecube via the Whirlpool 100Mbit 1TB $69 offer. Actually emailing a support person individually when I had a question and their interactivity on the WP forums, it feels like iiNet in 1996 all over again, it's nice.

Also no congestion to note. Three instances of 1080p Netflix last night at 7pm and no issues whatsover. I run an hourly speed check and it hasn't dipped below 90Mbps at all.
Old Today, 5:55 PM   #1408
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvidler View Post
Probably only available on FTTP locations.
for 250/100, definitely.

Old Today, 6:03 PM   #1409
Ratzz

Damn, no 250/100 for me then I have HFC. No matter, I'm sure I'll be stoked with 100/40 having never had such speeds before anyway.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 6:27 PM   #1410
caspian

DOCIS 3.1 will increase peak available speeds on HFC. should be along sometime in Q1Y2018 I think, as long as all goes well.

you might even have a lead-in by then!