Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Old 25th October 2016, 12:25 PM   #121
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeDude View Post
So apparently the Switch trailer doesn't show actual gameplay footage on the devices - it was all done in post production
I'm disappointed, but also not surprised. Marketing hype means everything these days, and we're going to see a lot more of that I think.

Regardless, still excited for the console itself.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:29 PM   #122
Boneman

I also heard the people in the commercial were just actors, and not really that excited to play video games.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:38 PM   #123
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
I also heard the people in the commercial were just actors, and not really that excited to play video games.
Working in film, media and TVC (television commercials) for the better part of the last decade, this is pretty standard.

Pretty people don't like doing much except standing around looking pretty. You wouldn't find a "model slash actress" drinking Coke and eating Maccas in a pink fit, yet their respective ads are full of pretty people doing exactly that.
Old 25th October 2016, 12:41 PM   #124
Sipheren

Quote:
So apparently the Switch trailer doesn't show actual gameplay footage on the devices - it was all done in post production

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/1...-game-footage/

Bit disappointing - the demo where they played the game on the screen, pull it out and keep playing was interesting, as I wanted to see how much of a difference the base actually made.

Yeah saw that as well, doesnt really matter, the video is about the concept not so much the actual gfx level, that said, I am sure the Zelda and new Mario footage was from a dev kit of approx performance.
Sipheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:44 PM   #125
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Working in film, media and TVC (television commercials) for the better part of the last decade, this is pretty standard.

Pretty people don't like doing much except standing around looking pretty. You wouldn't find a "model slash actress" drinking Coke and eating Maccas in a pink fit, yet their respective ads are full of pretty people doing exactly that.
Just a little joke mate, I gotta stop drinking on Mondays.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:48 PM   #126
QuakeDude
ooooh weeee ooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
Yeah saw that as well, doesnt really matter, the video is about the concept not so much the actual gfx level, that said, I am sure the Zelda and new Mario footage was from a dev kit of approx performance.
Quote:
I'm disappointed, but also not surprised. Marketing hype means everything these days, and we're going to see a lot more of that I think.

Regardless, still excited for the console itself.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm the same. Keen to see how this console turns out - I miss the Wii, but couldn't bring myself to get the Wii-U.
QuakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:53 PM   #127
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I miss the Wii, but couldn't bring myself to get the Wii-U.
Exactly the same boat here. No new Zelda or Metroid. One Mario game I wanted and Splatoon for the kids wasn't enough to convince me to shell out for it.

I'll probably go back and buy one second hand when they're $50 after the Switch is released, assuming the titles aren't released digitally on Switch anyway, at which point I probably won't bother.
Old 25th October 2016, 12:55 PM   #128
Sipheren

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm the same. Keen to see how this console turns out - I miss the Wii, but couldn't bring myself to get the Wii-U.
I do enjoy the wii u, own and played all the nintendo games on it, my partner and i enjoyed playing through mario together but other than those few games i just havent had the need to turn it on

Very keen for this system to help with that, the portability will be a big plus I think.
Sipheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 1:05 PM   #129
Mynamewastaken

Quote:
Exactly the same boat here. No new Zelda or Metroid. One Mario game I wanted and Splatoon for the kids wasn't enough to convince me to shell out for it.

I'll probably go back and buy one second hand when they're $50 after the Switch is released, assuming the titles aren't released digitally on Switch anyway, at which point I probably won't bother.
Windwaker HD not enough?

The Wii-U hate is a bit misguided I reckon. Has the best versions of Super Mario, Mario Kart and SS:B imo.

The controller I find handy as hell with the kids as well.

Will be interesting to see if the handheld/tablet on the Switch will have any capabilities outside of gaming. Other than that, I'm not really feeling any love for it right now. Needs moar info.

Team Pentax
K3 - K5 - K200D - MX and a bunch o' glass
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 1:12 PM   #130
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
Windwaker HD not enough?
No. I'm an avid retro gamer, so bumping the resolution on something isn't enough for me to race out and buy it a second time at full price. (Discount/budget price? Sure, but not full retail game price, which is worse for console gamers, and is worse again for PAL gamers).

Quote:
The Wii-U hate is a bit misguided I reckon.
Zero hate from me. I wanted to love it so much, but there just weren't enough good, unique games for me to shell out for a whole other console. That made me really, really sad, as it was literally the first Nintendo console I've ever not owned.

My overwhelming emotion for it was closer to melancholy.
Old 25th October 2016, 1:42 PM   #131
Mynamewastaken

^Yeah I get and agree with most of that.

I guess, as usual with Nintendo, it's all about the games for me. The Wii U may have been an odd system, but it has (again imo) the best versions of some of their most iconic games. (Windwaker was offered as a free download with Mario Kart btw)

For me at least, the Switch is really going to have to show something special for me to plonk my dollars down. I have my fingers crossed, as I'd be sad for it to by my first Nintendo console not owned.

Team Pentax
K3 - K5 - K200D - MX and a bunch o' glass
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 1:46 PM   #132
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Windwaker HD not enough?

The Wii-U hate is a bit misguided I reckon. Has the best versions of Super Mario, Mario Kart and SS:B imo.

The controller I find handy as hell with the kids as well.

Will be interesting to see if the handheld/tablet on the Switch will have any capabilities outside of gaming. Other than that, I'm not really feeling any love for it right now. Needs moar info.
The Wii U had terrible messaging (the fucking DS has this problem too tbh) and failed to get third parties on board.

No one really wants to buy a console only for first party titles no matter how good it is.

That's the challenge Nintendo has, bringing those developers back on board and convincing people to buy the thing.
Old 25th October 2016, 2:18 PM   #133
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
That's the challenge Nintendo has, bringing those developers back on board and convincing people to buy the thing.
And within that, I loved the unusual third party development that happened on Wii.

By that I mean not just games that everyone else has. i.e.: Battlefield 293782 gets released on XBox and Playstation, and I don't care if it's not on Switch. But there were some cracking unique third party games on Wii during it's life. Here's two that come to mind:

Old 25th October 2016, 8:07 PM   #134
samos

Quote:

Zero hate from me. I wanted to love it so much, but there just weren't enough good, unique games for me to shell out for a whole other console. That made me really, really sad, as it was literally the first Nintendo console I've ever not owned.

My overwhelming emotion for it was closer to melancholy.
This. I was so disappointed in it. Nintendo have really dropped the ball a tad on the games front. My brother bought me a Wii U a year and a bit back. After I played DK, Mario's et. al. I was left twiddling my thumbs. Great games, just no where near enough of them.

Like, fuck me. The 64' release was so bad ass, and they pumped out SO many good games. Ocarina Of Time. GOLDENEYE. My god. Banjo Kazooie. ARGH!

Not sure about this console, I probably won't really use the portable part, and I am wondering how durable it will be. None the less, I will purchase one. Solely for ONE game. Zelda. I am not sure if anyone is as excited as I am for this??
samos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 8:16 PM   #135
othy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
This. I was so disappointed in it. Nintendo have really dropped the ball a tad on the games front. My brother bought me a Wii U a year and a bit back. After I played DK, Mario's et. al. I was left twiddling my thumbs. Great games, just no where near enough of them.

Like, fuck me. The 64' release was so bad ass, and they pumped out SO many good games. Ocarina Of Time. GOLDENEYE. My god. Banjo Kazooie. ARGH!

Not sure about this console, I probably won't really use the portable part, and I am wondering how durable it will be. None the less, I will purchase one. Solely for ONE game. Zelda. I am not sure if anyone is as excited as I am for this??
I'm really hoping for a Monster Hunter game. I think it will come for the Switch. I will buy this for Zelda though regardless.

I skipped Wii-U, will probably get one after Switch is released just to keep my Nintendo collection complete. The lack of Zelda game on it hurt sales, I usually get Nintendo consoles day 1 of a new zelda release.

--

othy